[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Nov 29, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #721 of 911
  After a year or so,wearing them constantly for several hours a day they still didnt stretch? What should i do guys?

Clamp really started to bother me,and starts hurting my head after ~1 hour of wearing.You can see on pics i posted that pads touch each other,clamp is very strong,idk what to do.

Pics are in post #689

Leave them a whole night on something a bit bigger than your head, but be aware that the plastic that covers the two beams may crack.

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #722 of 911
Mine arrived today. I did the velour switch and filter removal and wow, if there's a better headphone out ther for $42 shipped I want to know about them. I love these things! Clamping pressure is fine for me. I've had them on for hours and couldn't be happier. I'm using 24 bit files and BubbleUPnP on an Android device without an amp. Awesome!

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #723 of 911
What can one expect for that price? Headphones that promise listening pleasure? My first pair of Superlux were the 668, `bout 29 EUR. I was sure that they will be returned. I now have 10 of these ear crushers at home. The best of them is the 681. Maybe a bit inspired by AKG but who cares if you can have a Mercedes for the price of a Huyndai
darthsmile.gif

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #724 of 911
2nd Day with my modded EVO's. I LOVE these cans! Maybe the bass is a tad bloated, but who cares? I wore them when I walked/ran the dog today. Now they're my favorite portables. They stayed on my head while running (NOT "jogging") with no problem and play plenty loud with my Galaxy Note 3/Tidal subscribed phone. Spectacular sound for chump change. Unless you just like spending money, why buy anything else? I like them as much or more than the rest of my cans now.

Dec 20, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #726 of 911
I got my Superlux HD681 EVO a while back on a lark because it was so cheap.  If I recall, I paid around $35 from that large on-line retailer.  The headphone was fun, but after a while, I moved on as the highs were not so detailed and the mids were muddled up on complex tracks.  I never bothered to mod them, and into the closet they went.  Recently, I've been doing most of my listening with a set of ATH-M50x's, but wanting an open set for a better sound-stage, I've been eyeing the Fidelio X2, having listened to my buddy's, and liking them a lot.  I remembered the "semi-open" Superlux's sitting in the closet and dug them out.  Reading through this thread, I started to play with the felt disc.  Taking it off completely made the highs a bit too much.  Covering the back half kind of shifted the sound stage too much to the front.  Breaking out the scissors, this is what I came up with:

This is the left side, so the 1/4 piece of felt is towards the back.  Looks like a lopsided bio-hazard sign.  I do my listening via Foobar2000 -> SMSL M8 -> O2 amp.  I am not an "audiophile" by any means and just enjoy music.  My gears are pretty modest, but more than good enough for my ears.  

I've gone through Alan Parson's Eye in the Sky (DVD-A), Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream, In Absentia, and Fear of a Blank Planet (DVD-A), Donald Fagen's Nightfly (DSD from SACD), Daft Punk Random Access Memories (24 Bit/88KHz), and SRV's The Sky is Crying (DSD from SACD).

For me, this mod really opened up the headphones.  The sound-stage is as good as ever, and the recessed mids have come alive without the harsh highs.  SRV's strat never sounded so good.

This mod is dangerous.  Like it's appearence, it is a bio-hazard.  It killed off my GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)...maybe for just a while.

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #728 of 911
Hi! I 've bought these headphones a couple a months ago, but suddenly they went quiet. I checked for faulty cable and in the end i plugged them directly (without the 1m/3m cable) into my PC but they are dead. Can anyone see what is wrong here? Link: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=AE8057FC0E7CF47F!65142&authkey=!ABgBLs00Dqguj7E&ithint=folder%2cjpg TIA and kind regards , sannyi97.

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #733 of 911
Burn in takes 1 or 2 hours. I bet your EVO's just points out the flaws elsewhere. There is really nothing wrong with mine. Not in absolute terms. And in relative terms, for the price, it is just ridiculous to whine about anything. With good gear they are absolutely fabulous. It is probably just a case of GIGO.

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #734 of 911
Burn in takes 1 or 2 hours. I bet your EVO's just points out the flaws elsewhere. There is really nothing wrong with mine. Not in absolute terms. And in relative terms, for the price, it is just ridiculous to whine about anything. With good gear they are absolutely fabulous. It is probably just a case of GIGO.

You don't think that the mids are too thin. My Monk $5 earbuds has better mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back