[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Aug 11, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #691 of 911
I'm afraid if that if I open them,it will break.But sides are not closed because he didnt drag the plastin onto the teeth. I really don't care as long as they work.No money for a new pair.

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #692 of 911
Thanks for the help guys. Really appreciated. I think I'll use the smaller 3.5mm cable that came with the headphones. I guess i'll just lose the option of detachable cable. I'll let you know how it goes.

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #693 of 911
The more I own them and listen to them the more I love them.I think over the course of time they changed sound (burn in for non believers).Bass is much tighter now. (no amp no DAC only onboard audio)

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #694 of 911
  The more I own them and listen to them the more I love them.I think over the course of time they changed sound (burn in for non believers).Bass is much tighter now. (no amp no DAC only onboard audio)

Gonna break mine out again...it's been too long since I heard them.

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #695 of 911
I gotta give props to whoever  makes the drivers for these headphones.

Basically, I'm using the HD681Evo drivers for a project of mine, bought a pair of these just for the drivers, sort of threw the rest of it away, because I just need the drivers for a 3D printed headphone I'm currently making, and basically, this project involves super gluing a piece of plastic onto a magnet  of the driver to hold it tightly in place and stiffen in to reduce vibration, just at this point, it's too messy to keep it like that forever. To make this story short, I didn't glue it properly, pulled on it to remove it, and the motha*****ing magnet popped out. It just fell out with a slightest tug, as if it was held inside the socket by another weak magnet. Great, there goes a driver I thought (btw, I ruined a Sony XB500 driver and a Sennheiser HD438 driver exactly the same way, apparently the glue used to keep the magnet in is very weak, so be careful around that area), but nope.

The driver was fine, the voice coil was untouched, so I decided to put the magnet back in, and then ran into problems, somehow, in some weird way, the plastic hole for the magnet shrunk, because the magnet didn't fit in anymore. I scraped all of the yellow rubbery glue out of that socket, sanded the magnet to make it clean and shiny, and then comes the reason why I give praise to these drivers (and my 3D printed baffle which is strong enough be ran over with a tank and survive, apparently, despite being light as a feather, woooo for my engineering skills).  I managed to squeeze that magnet back into the hole with such force that I thought I'd break the floor  underneath the driver, let alone the driver itself. Basically, think of a 90kg heavy guy using all of his strength, focusing the entire force through one thumb and shoving down on the magnet into the hole.  It went in, and not a single piece of that assembly cracked. Amazing. Despite being held by just very thin plastics, that driver frame is strong as a rock. HD438 and Sony XB500 drivers snapped like toothpicks with 1/10th of the force.  Just for a comparison...

So props to  Superlux, their headphones might be cheaper than pretty much anything else on the market, but drivers are incredibly tough. Might I also add that it sounds exactly the same as before I broke it, it measures the same, etc.   And it sounds wonderful, even at this early stage, my frankenstein headphones sound considerably better than a stock HD681Evo and are in 300+ dollar territory in terms of sound. These drivers have incredible potential but are ruined by the cheap design and build of the stock headphones.

Aug 22, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #696 of 911
Broke out my EVO's after months of storage...played some Liquid Tension Experiment and remembered why I bought these in the first place. Great bass that doesn't bleed all over the lower mids (foam mod) and still some detail there. Plenty comfy and easy to drive!
Gotta keep em'
dt880smile.png

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #697 of 911
Hi guys.

I'm still holding to my evo as daily headphone. Can't afford upgrade since I'm planning trip in near future. And weak exchange rate to usd also hurt a little.

Yesterday after months of using velour I'm back using pleather. To my surprise, they do sound better after all. Better depth, Separation and 3D. Also less sibilant.

So anybody tried any better alternative pads out there.? Preferably with fatter pad to distance driver from ear. Better material perhaps? I wouldn't mind if they cost a bit more than evo itself. I believe that better pads can make a difference with evo.

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #698 of 911
Hi guys.

I'm still holding to my evo as daily headphone. Can't afford upgrade since I'm planning trip in near future. And weak exchange rate to usd also hurt a little.

Yesterday after months of using velour I'm back using pleather. To my surprise, they do sound better after all. Better depth, Separation and 3D. Also less sibilant.

So anybody tried any better alternative pads out there.? Preferably with fatter pad to distance driver from ear. Better material perhaps? I wouldn't mind if they cost a bit more than evo itself. I believe that better pads can make a difference with evo.

I agree that using better leather pads could be good, other brand like ATH or AKG has more soft leather pads too

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #699 of 911
last night after rolling the pad to pleather I insert ring-cut cardboard to create space / distance (around 3mm) from driver to ear, and it raise the articulation, noticeably. more air moving maybe? But also create more clamping force. The mid bass no longer boomy and became cleaner, I finally disable EQ on my iPhone. On some track the sub bass rattle. I also notice many track resolve better - the classic "heard the sound I never heard before" Wow! I just want to test as many track as I want but my thumb hesitate to skip (lol and today I'm late to open my shop)

Now most track from The Back Horn suddenly doesn't sound so boring. instead of looking at watercolour painting now I'm looking at oil (lol thats what came into my head last night). I always thought that my J-Rock collection sound congested, flat, boring and polite, they must've tune their recording using super articulate headphone like Beyer / Senn?

But I had my doubt too. Maybe its the clamping that create it? I suspect that better pad can isolate better thus create more resolution?

I'm looking at AKG K550 pad. are they applied differently than Evo?

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #703 of 911
Hello guys,

I know that you must have read this question like +1000 times, but I've read a lot of reviews and posts, and I can't decide. I gues that it's due to my lack of knowledge and experience in the sound field. When I say lack of knowledge I mean that I don't really know if I should be looking for some bass-oriented headphones like the EVOs if my music tastes are rock/metal bands like Led Zeppelin, Guns n' Roses, Tool, Incubus and Porcupine Tree. Or maybe I should pick something more 'neutral' like the HD668b.

There are also more Superlux options for the same price, 29€, (330, 661,662,669...) in thomann.de so of course I'm open to other choices!

So, I'd really appreciate if someone could enlighten me here! Thanks in advance!

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #704 of 911
  Hello guys,

I know that you must have read this question like +1000 times, but I've read a lot of reviews and posts, and I can't decide. I gues that it's due to my lack of knowledge and experience in the sound field. When I say lack of knowledge I mean that I don't really know if I should be looking for some bass-oriented headphones like the EVOs if my music tastes are rock/metal bands like Led Zeppelin, Guns n' Roses, Tool, Incubus and Porcupine Tree. Or maybe I should pick something more 'neutral' like the HD668b.

There are also more Superlux options for the same price, 29€, (330, 661,662,669...) in thomann.de so of course I'm open to other choices!

So, I'd really appreciate if someone could enlighten me here! Thanks in advance!

I have both (EVO & 668b) and would say go for the EVO unless you are an analytical listener. The 668b is a great hp for the price but the EVO is just a bit more fun especially with its low end and your tastes in music. Just be sure to do the foam mod on the EVO. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #705 of 911
  I have both (EVO & 668b) and would say go for the EVO unless you are an analytical listener. The 668b is a great hp for the price but the EVO is just a bit more fun especially with its low end and your tastes in music. Just be sure to do the foam mod on the EVO. 

Thanks for the advice! I come form a Sennheiser HD201 and they sounded amazing to me. I was a bit afraid about the EVO because a lot of people says that they are quite bassy, but I guess that they will just emphasyze more the lows. I'll check about the mod, which improvement does in the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back