[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Jan 17, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #346 of 911
  I've had the 681 EVO for awhile, and I just got a semi-open from ISK that looks just like the original 681.

This ISK-580 sounds way better than the 681 EVO, has big bass for a semi-open but not as bloated as the EVO, doesn't have the shrill highs of the 681, and only costs $20.
http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.1.sHipKv&id=35297553728&ad_id=&am_id=&cm_id=140105335569ed55e27b&pm_id=

Would be interesting to see if anyone else agrees.

You are right, iSK HP-580 is the new star on the market. I see they are very popular on taobao and I have read on some forums they are really good. Better then their more expensive and but older flagship model HP-980
How do you find their earpads are, do they need to be replaced, and what about the overall quality? And how would you compare them in every aspect to the 681 EVO?

Would be great if you could compare them in sound aspect to the Takstar PRO80, I know you have them :)

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #347 of 911
So I got the 681 Evo. Liking it so far, eager to see how it sounds once it's burnt in. I'd like to replace the ear pads with the extra velour ones that came with them. What's the best way to remove the current ones and pop the new ones on? Just want to make sure I do it correctly.

Jan 18, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #348 of 911
Recommended these to my friend over a pair of Siberia gaming headsets, he is very satisified with the purchase.

My short review:

Most comfortable headphones i've worn in this price category. The build quality is as good as 300$ AKG's. They look MUCH better in real life than they do in pictures. Very solid feel to them.

Sound: First off the bass extends really low, almost or just like a DT770! Yet there is good detail in the mids and highs, no sibilance no grain, very clean sound overall. Vocals sound realistic through them. Soundstage has some width and depth that shouldn't be in this price range.

They sound WAY different than my 668B's. No more exaggarated highs, or sibilance. A really good headphone and I'm considering adding this to my collection..

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #349 of 911
You are right, iSK HP-580 is the new star on the market. I see they are very popular on taobao and I have read on some forums they are really good. Better then their more expensive and but older flagship model HP-980
How do you find their earpads are, do they need to be replaced, and what about the overall quality? And how would you compare them in every aspect to the 681 EVO?

Would be great if you could compare them in sound aspect to the Takstar PRO80, I know you have them :)

I've had the HP580s for nearly a month now, and I'm very impressed. The earpads are suprisingly cushy and comfortable, and much better than the ones that come with the HD68, which are much harder to the touch. They will still get hot after extended use so if that is a problem I would suggest getting velours. They differ slighty in design when compared to the HD681/668b but have a very similar feel - very plasticky and anything but premium, but not badly built.

Sound-wise it is an amazing can, and if you can stand the ugly red accents, then I would highly recommend it.

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #351 of 911
Yes, probably because material is more airy.

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #353 of 911
  I replaced the stock pads with the included velour pads and maybe it's just me but do you get a little less bass rumble with the velour pads?

ya i end up using the velor too. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #354 of 911
I've had the HP580s for nearly a month now, and I'm very impressed. The earpads are suprisingly cushy and comfortable, and much better than the ones that come with the HD68, which are much harder to the touch. They will still get hot after extended use so if that is a problem I would suggest getting velours. They differ slighty in design when compared to the HD681/668b but have a very similar feel - very plasticky and anything but premium, but not badly built.

Sound-wise it is an amazing can, and if you can stand the ugly red accents, then I would highly recommend it.

There is apparently also a white-black version but yet I still didn't find where to buy it, this is a picture from aliexpress: http://postimg.org/image/zft6culk3/
Anyway I really do not care about the look and the color  as long as it's decent quality and it sounds good. Black-red version is ok for me.

I was thinking to buy to buy it from dinodirect.com, has anyone any experience with that site, is it safe to buy from there?

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #355 of 911
I own 2 EVO (first batch i guess).
IMO, treble won't get harsh at all if u remove the felt discs.
My white not-felt-disc-modded EVO sounds too dark and lacks clarity and separation compared to my black modded EVO.
The other mod that i recommend is going for the velour pads, that improves the slightly recessed mids, in particuar vocals.
Botton line IMO : its worth trying the felt disc mod + velour pads, if u dont like the sound the mods are easily reversible

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #356 of 911
Curious what to get:

SR850 ($49), 668B ($45), or EVO ($39).

Worried that 668b is less comfortable then 850 due to the wings rather then headband. I want the one that's most comfortable, and then best sound. This is in a private office.

This is for general/office usage, and electronic (think daft punk, kravinsky, justice, danger, not house/dubstep like deadmau5, stonebridge), and indie like animal collective. 

Thanks. Don't mind modding, just let me know what mods need to be done though. I'm in the US.

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #358 of 911
Hi Keanex, 
great review.
It helped me to decide to give a try to Superlux 681EVO.
I got a pair of those in Germany from Thomann.de for 28€. It is the package with a pair of velour pads included. 

I mostly use them from my Win7 notebook and Samsung S4 mobile phone which both have quite reasonable sound output and built in equalizers.
EQ allows me to correct 681EVO for 3dB too much bass (30-150 Hz) and 4-5dB lack of treble (1-6kHz). 
There is a special gap on 4k, including phase shift? which may not be compensated by modding the 681EVO.. 
They are sounding really balanced but detailed after thic correction. Some airyness that I may find with my Etymotic hf2 is still lacking though. 
Additional mods are in the queue..

However, I would like to find the best portable DAC/amplifier that uses USB/microUSB input, and which is proven to contribute to the sound of these 32 Ohm Headphones? 
Please let me know about your reccomendations. 

Kind regards, 
Kyluc

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #360 of 911

I wouldn't know if I want a more balanced sound. Why do you say get the Evo vs 668b/sr850?

I have the 668B. I tried the EVO and it is much more comfortable than the 668B because of the deeper cups and the headband. It just is too bassy out of the box. But then the 668B sounds boring at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back