[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Jan 11, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #317 of 911
Been lurking these forums for a couple of days without registering

I was wanting to ask whether I should get this, the HD-330 or the HD-668 B. I am not shy for modding it (though I wouldn't solder it). 
I will be using it for listening to music and gaming, so it also needs a good soundstage, but I don't want to compromise sound quality over a little soundstage, so which can is the best all-arounder?

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #318 of 911
I would get the 681-B or the evo if you cant get the 681-B. These are imo the best luxes for gaming and genereal music listening. If you generally listen mostly to classic, get the 668B, because it sounds more linear / neutral (boring) than sll the other luxes. In comparison to the 681 series, the 330, 440 & 660 are crap (soundwise), they have only good build quality.

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #319 of 911
I would get the 681-B or the evo if you cant get the 681-B. These are imo the best luxes for gaming and genereal music listening. If you generally listen mostly to classic, get the 668B, because it sounds more linear / neutral (boring) than sll the other luxes. In comparison to the 681 series, the 330, 440 & 660 are crap (soundwise), they have only good build quality.

I appreciate the quick, detailed answer. How is the 681 B better? I must admit that the design of the Evo is appealing and actually makes me want to purchase them over the 681's, but if the 681 B is clearly superior (over the Evo v2), I would of course have to get those. I hear that removing the piece of foam in front of the drivers changes the audio to match 681 B better, but without those sharp highs I also hear the 681 B has. How do these differ en terms of comfort?

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #320 of 911
Its bass iss far better, more texture in it. Evo has wishy-washy bass, kinda sluggish. The 681-b has the same amount of bass but far better, but really tasty. Also the 681-b has bigger soundstage, better instrument seperation, and sounds overall more quality. Even the comfort is better. You should get shure srh840 velours. It turns the lux into one of the most comfortable cans in this price range and above.

Trust me, i was dissapointed by the evo myself but after purchasing it, i dont wanted to sell it for half the price. Because compared to other phones in this pricerange, its still a hell of a can ;D but no chance against the 681-B

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #322 of 911
 In comparison to the 681 series, the 330, 440 & 660 are crap (soundwise), they have only good build quality.

Well, it is very subjective. headfonia review says opposite: http://www.headfonia.com/the-new-superluxes-are-good-the-hd330-hd440-and-the-hd660/

Everyone`s taste, hearing, source and music preference is different. What I`ve read - HD-330 & HD-660 should be very good!

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #323 of 911

Well, it is very subjective. headfonia review says opposite: http://www.headfonia.com/the-new-superluxes-are-good-the-hd330-hd440-and-the-hd660/

Everyone`s taste, hearing, source and music preference is different. What I`ve read - HD-330 & HD-660 should be very good!

For my musics tastes and setup, I think it will be either HD-681 B or HD-681 Evo that I would get. I hear the build quality is better on the EVOs , but which would you recommend, CoiL? 

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #324 of 911
I think the HD-681B or the EVOs would be where my choice lies because of my music tastes. I hear some say the EVOs are superior and some say they are not. Some say that burn-in completely changes the muddyness of the bass and that they have much better build quality, so which would you recommend, CoiL?

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #325 of 911
I don`t have EVO`s, hard to say. I have modded HD-681 (old red rings version) & modded HD-662F.

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #326 of 911
The problem of Headfonia & Other people is: they don't know the 681 series. For me, the 681 series is the superlux-major series. These are the ones, gamers and metallers, rock-listeners etc. go first.  All the other series are mainly apreciated by classic-only lovers or people, who need cans for the studio (668B & 662). Headfonia etc. . . . did they compare the 330, 440, 660, 668B vs the 681 Series? I doubt it ;D  I mean the 330/440/660 & 668B are good cans, they are not bad, thats not what i'm saying. But if you are a person, who listens to a wide variety of music like Soundtracks, Ethereal, Gothic, Metal, Rock, Punk, 60s/70s/8s, HipHop, Electronica etc. . . . and have  just ONCE have listened to the 681-B . . . your choice will be easy. The 681-B sounds good with almost every genre and is perfect for gaming.

And the 668-B? ....very thin, very bassless if you listen to electronica, metal, hiphop or some other stuff. Its very good for classic and instrumentals and even for some pop music. . . but so is the 681-B and with this one you can listen to almost every genre, and it will be fun. And the seperation of instruments is better, soundstage is bigger etc.

The 440/330/660 series is ok . . . but less details, less bass, less soundstage, less seperation, less everything. If people would compare them to the other series, they would hear, that these cans aren't so good compared to the others of superlux. Thats the point why i say, the 330/440/660 series is bad. If anyone doesn't believe me, you are free to visit me and give it a listen, i have them all here ;D I know it sounds strange , because the 681 series is one of the cheapest from superlux, but these are really wondercans for only 20 bucks. the more expensive = the better = is not the case with the superluxes. I even like the standard 681 more than the evo. Sounds better, but with the standard 681 the highs are harsh. You'll nee a mod here. The 681-B is perfect imo, i didn't needed a mod with this one.

Only my 2 cents & i respect everyones own Opinion though, everyone has a different pair of ears. But I write this, because i made the experience with the luxes by myself and i just want to help out ;D

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #327 of 911
  The problem of Headfonia & Other people is: they don't know the 681 series. For me, the 681 series is the superlux-major series. These are the ones, gamers and metallers, rock-listeners etc. go first.  All the other series are mainly apreciated by classic-only lovers or people, who need cans for the studio (668B & 662). Headfonia etc. . . . did they compare the 330, 440, 660, 668B vs the 681 Series?

Have you even read that review? Mike has tried almost all Superlux cans as I know and has given many impressions about them. Here, he even mentions this in the beginning of review:
Quote:
I never doubted Superlux’s ability to make headphone drivers. From the time we posted the review of the HD668B, to my other exposure of Superlux headphones, including the HD662, HD662B, and the HD669, I’ve always been impressed at the quality of the sound you get for the price. After all, if you can make good microphones for Professional use, there is no reason why you can’t design a Pro-quality transducer for the headphone end.
Now, one of the reasons that I still hold back from making a wide recommendation of the Superlux headphones is that their tuning are mainly geared toward professional monitoring uses. From the HD662 to the HD669, all boasts great clarity and instrument separation, but mostly they have been too bright and too thin on the midrange section for good music listening purposes. Not so with these new generation Superluxes. The HD330, HD440, and the HD660 still boasts the same clear sound that you get on the other Superlux models, but with a tonal balance more suited for music listening.

I always say, everything is very subjective in audio world... but...
Say hello to the best Rock headphones under $100.

Forward mids, slightly agressive treble, tight punchy midbass. I really can’t find fault with these cans. Not to mention me rediscovering Muse with the presentation that the HD330 and the HD660 is giving.

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #328 of 911
  Have you even read that review? Mike has tried almost all Superlux cans as I know and has given many impressions about them. Here, he even mentions this in the beginning of review:
Quote:
I always say, everything is very subjective in audio world... but...

Good point. Might have to get those after I get a good amp, then :)

I will by the way get both the 681 EVO and the 681 B, so I can decide for myself. It seems these phones suit me best, and I can't decide on them. I can, after all, just send them back :D

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #329 of 911
@Coil . . . i've read the review and you quoted it by yourself. As i said, they haven't compared it to the 681 series. Everyone talks about the 440/330/660, 662, 669, 668B. You quoted it yourself. Where is the 681 series ()681/681-B/681-F) mentioned? ;D I couldn't read a single word about them. Thats what i mean, most people don't know them, they know the 668B or the 662F. There are only a few users with a 681 and thats only the red one. Even less people that do have an Evo or 330.

Thats why i think its sad, that most people recommend only the 668B or the 662F or evo. 668B is the standard recommendation. That recommendation often comes from people who mainly listen to classic stuff. But is the 668B cool with hip hop? Electronica? Or say Games? Wheres the OOOMPH, the Power? Sure, you can use an amp etc. . . . but the 681 series don't need that to have the power ;D its like "by the power of greyscull-inclued" xD

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #330 of 911
But is the 668B cool with hip hop? Electronica? Or say Games? Wheres the OOOMPH, the Power?

This pretty much says to me that you are just more bass & ooomph lover. With rock music you do not need the "oomph" like HD-681 has, at least to my taste. I have HD-681 & HD-662F and like I told in the other SL thread:
IMHO for rock/metal progressive music HD-681 with mkII mod & HD-662F with mod are perfect! First is better if you like more "juicy & flowing" bass (with custom pads & mod it got tighter also), latter if you are more into more balanced/neutral sound.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/699291/superlux-681-red-ring-classic-has-been-discontinued#post_10155794
I`m not alone in this opinion, but yeah, each has it`s own opinion.

The fact that he has for sure (mentioned also in his review) had impressions on HD-662 & HD-662B & HD-669 tells me very much about HD-330 & HD-660 in case of rock music. That`s why I want to get HD-330 or HD-660 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back