[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Dec 18, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #301 of 911

I don't say it, because i've heard it somewhere. I have them here, all of them. The bass of the 681-B is more controlled, better kickbass, better texture. and better Highs. The Highs on the 681 are very harsh and the bass sounds (to me) bloated and not defined, similar to the EVOs bass. Everything is just better balanced in the B Version, similar to the modded Version of 681.

I know housing etc. has a big infuence BUT i too have the Samson SR850 and the Presonus HD7. They too look similiar to the Superlux and i opened them . . . guess what i found? Superlux Logo on the drivers ;D They sound exactly like the 681 / 681B I think, the ISK is just another rebranding and i think its sounds better than the 681 because maybe its a rebranded 681-B and not 681. 681-B sounds better, and there are not much people, who know the B Version. Most people know the standard red version, thats why they think, its a different driver/brand. My 681B almost sounds like my Shure SRH440, almost identical. Thats how big the difference between the 681 models is.

Look at the Samson and Presonus:

. . . they're al rebranded superluxes. I tested and opened every one of them.

That's just your opinion, i see many more people prefer the 681 to 681B, in my country, the superlux 681 is 40$, 681B is 28$ but the 681B is not selling very well, people like the 681 better and some of my friend even order from amazon to get the 681as backup when it was discontinue in my country. Having heard both, i think the different is small, the 681B have tighter, more control bass, a little clearer but the 681 go more deep in sub bass, fuller body, sound smoother and more enjoyable.
I agree that the samson are clone of 668B, they look exactly the same exact the headband and sound the same ( i have both) but the presonus HD7 does sound different than the 681 (some people confirmed this). About ISK580 vs 681, you should look carefully again, they look very different.

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #302 of 911
ISK is definitely not Superlux. They have their own lines and factory. The SEM6 IEM I picked up beats out every IEM Superlux has to offer.

Here is the ISK website and full line:
www.nbisk.cn

The ISK's can be had for very cheap, even to Germany. The HP-580 (semi open) and HP-680 (closed) seem to be the newest, and both are under $30. The HP-980 seems older, but goes for $50-70.
Use a Taobao agent like Mistertao.com, and choose China Post shipping:

HP-580 most popular seller:
http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.1.NyaL7o&id=35297553728&ad_id=&am_id=&cm_id=140105335569ed55e27b&pm_id=

HP-680
http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.1.d8tvsF&id=8010234098&ad_id=&am_id=&cm_id=140105335569ed55e27b&pm_id=

Neither one should be more than $30 shipped to you. I'd be interested in hearing comparisons if you wanted to try them. So far I like the 580 better than the EVO.

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #303 of 911
Of course, anyone has his own opinion, you're right. In the end, its all about taste. If you are a basshead ~ go for the 681 & evo. If you're more on the neutral side, go for the 681-B & 681-F.

And as for the Presonus HD7.....yes...because everyone has / had a different opinion and noone opened them to tell if its a lux or not.....that was the reason, why i bought them myself, to open them and to be shure. Some people were writing stuff, it almost sounded like fairytales, so i needed the proof. I have opened them, its a superlux, i'm not sure which one it was, 681-B or 681-F, but definitely not 681.

You guys should buy it and open them, don't listen to me, don't listen to storytellers, prove by yourselves. Its still the best way to go ;D

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #304 of 911
I think why the superlux 681 is really special is because of its sound signature that you will hardly find in other headphones. Closed headphones tend to have more bass and sub-bass, they sound more fun but have the disadvantage of closed design: soundstage is close in, less airy and sound less real than open headphones. Open headphones although have more air, sound more spacious, more real but often too polite and lack the fun factor. The superlux 681 has the best of both word: open spacious soundstage with big, fun but still very well controll bass, this quality can be found in very very few headphone, i only know 2 headphone have similar sound signature: Fischer audio Fa-011 and Dt-990 and both are much more exspansive.

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #305 of 911
Yeah, maybe thats, why i love the Superlux so much. Its signature is very rare to find. You put them on and you smile ;D Nevertheless, i can't abandon my K400, it kinda fits to my soul. Very strange . . . when i put them on and listen to my music, its like Home <3

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #306 of 911
Totally agree with you CoiL. Bass is tighter and punchier with the 662F.
681's bass does go a lil deeper but 662F is overall cleaner in that department, and has a superb bass texture that the 681 doesn't have.
Rap lovers would probably prefer the EVO though.
Once again, EVO and 662F are really different headphones.

I have also 662F besides HD-681 (with mkII filter) and indeed 662F is very good headphone. If highs feel to harsh, then there`s a similiar filter mod you can make for it, littlebit different values than mkII filter, and then it sounds awesome imho (I`m using 662F with filter). Only negative side of 662F for me is that its bass doesn`t go so deep as HD-681 (thus might get boring with some music) but it`s tighter and littlebit punchier I guess. Though it`s a closed can, it`s with very airy, large and clear soundstage. Instrument separation is also great. If you are more into analytical and studio listening then go for 662F otherwise just for enjoying music without fatigue go for EVO or HD681 with filter. 

Got to say big thank you to you two and everyone else contributing to this thread. I've done a lot research and i think the EVO and 622F are my top choices now for a accurate and neutral studio headphone.

From what I've read, the 622F seems to be flatter, and the 'better' choice for my situation, but the EVO with its better design (and build quality?), free velour pads, and extra replacable cables just shouts 'Better Value' at me. I'm not a modding person, so removing the felt Is all I'll do to to improve the sound.

Here's my question: Is the Evo relatively neutral? despite many people saying it has a bass hump, others still say its similar sounding to the Audio Technica M50, which is often recomended. Because if it is relatively flat and not too coloured (like beats) I can always 'learn' my headphones.

Thanks in advance for all your input guys.

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #307 of 911
Got to say big thank you to you two and everyone else contributing to this thread. I've done a lot research and i think the EVO and 622F are my top choices now for a accurate and neutral studio headphone.

From what I've read, the 622F seems to be flatter, and the 'better' choice for my situation, but the EVO with its better design (and build quality?), free velour pads, and extra replacable cables just shouts 'Better Value' at me. I'm not a modding person, so removing the felt Is all I'll do to to improve the sound.

Here's my question: Is the Evo relatively neutral? despite many people saying it has a bass hump, others still say its similar sounding to the Audio Technica M50, which is often recomended. Because if it is relatively flat and not too coloured (like beats) I can always 'learn' my headphones.

Thanks in advance for all your input guys.

M50 has big bass hump, i recently got a new EVO and it surprisingly sound better and more balance than the first one i have, though still far from neutral.

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #308 of 911
i recently got a new EVO and it surprisingly sound better and more balance than the first one i have, though still far from neutral.

I can confirm that. My new EVO, which came with the extra velour pads, sounds different than my first EVO. The new one sounds much better, kinda like a 681-B but with less treble. The old EVO was too boomy for me.

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #309 of 911
Thanks for letting me know. Ill make sure I get the newer version. Pity the Evoswill only be available in my country a few months from now...
Does removing the felt improved the sound and neutralness?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back