[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Dec 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #288 of 911
Yes, they are. Here is the FR of the three measured by Superlux

When bass level is lower, the perception of other frequency is also affected, you can hear mid, high more clear so you think it's more detail, soundstage seem to be more open. Lower bass also make it tighter, faster, that's very easy to hear, the first time i finished my filter with jumper to switch between different bass and treble level, i set bass to lowest and feel it's near perfect, just need a little bit level then i switch to next level then listen - What, where did the tightness, attack go, the whole sound is muffle, treble seem less extend. I re-check to make sure i didn't touch the high switch and it's still there. I have listened to the 681B and i can tell it's a little bit cleaner with less bass, that's all, there is not much different and , Frans also agree on that.

This is super helpful! Thank you!

Dec 14, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #289 of 911
Hi guys, how're you all doing? Would like to ask for recommendations here..

I am actually interested in purchasing my first headphones (well, a proper one anyway)

I guess my choice would be Superlux mainly for my budget (AT M50 is gorgeous to me but I don't think it's worth it)

I can't seem to decide between HD 661 with HD 681 EVO, I travel frequently and may need to use them from time to time when I'm in the library, may I ask which one of the two has the best noise isolation and leak-proof? Thank you!

EDIT: also, I am also considering Audio-Technica's T500. Would appreciate it if anyone of you guys could help me decide and weigh in on this. Thanks!

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #290 of 911
681 EVO is semi-open so it won`t isolate sound.

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #292 of 911
Dec 16, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #293 of 911
  I've had the 681 EVO for awhile, and I just got a semi-open from ISK that looks just like the original 681.

This ISK-580 sounds way better than the 681 EVO, has big bass for a semi-open but not as bloated as the EVO, doesn't have the shrill highs of the 681, and only costs $20.
http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.1.sHipKv&id=35297553728&ad_id=&am_id=&cm_id=140105335569ed55e27b&pm_id=

Would be interesting to see if anyone else agrees.

It just looks too ugly
eek.gif

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #296 of 911

It just looks too ugly
eek.gif

Lol aside from the bright red, it looks exactly like the original Superlux 681.

Look again, housing is totally different (bigger & probably more damping material inside - thus "better" bass). And yeah, they are freaking ugly! ;S

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #297 of 911
I don't really believe it's a different Can. Maybe its a 681-B or 681-F? They all sound different. I, for example, like the 681-B much more than the red standard 681. 681-B has better bass, better allrounder. Maye the ISK is a 681-B? ;D  But i would really like to test it myself . . . but whrere to geht the ISK? I think it'll be too expensive for people, who live in germany to order from china  :frowning2: 

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #298 of 911
Only the construction already makes it different sounding can! Headphone doesn`t consist only of speaker element. And can you describe how is 681B bass better than 681 red ? Just saying that it`s better is very subjective, try to give more detailed impressions.

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #299 of 911
  I don't really believe it's a different Can. Maybe its a 681-B or 681-F? They all sound different. I, for example, like the 681-B much more than the red standard 681. 681-B has better bass, better allrounder. Maye the ISK is a 681-B? ;D  But i would really like to test it myself . . . but whrere to geht the ISK? I think it'll be too expensive for people, who live in germany to order from china  :frowning2: 

The housing, the damping material, driver ... can lead to very different sound. The 681B, 681F and 681 although share the same housing and driver but have slightly different sound because they have different way of damping inside the driver ( i believe so)

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #300 of 911
  Only the construction already makes it different sounding can! Headphone doesn`t consist only of speaker element. And can you describe how is 681B bass better than 681 red ? Just saying that it`s better is very subjective, try to give more detailed impressions.

I don't say it, because i've heard it somewhere. I have them here, all of them. The bass of the 681-B is more controlled, better kickbass, better texture. and better Highs. The Highs on the 681 are very harsh and the bass sounds (to me) bloated and not defined, similar to the EVOs bass. Everything is just better balanced in the B Version, similar to the modded Version of 681.

I know housing etc. has a big infuence BUT i too have the Samson SR850 and the Presonus HD7. They too look similiar to the Superlux and i opened them . . . guess what i found? Superlux Logo on the drivers ;D They sound exactly like the 681 / 681B I think, the ISK is just another rebranding and i think its sounds better than the 681 because maybe its a rebranded 681-B and not 681. 681-B sounds better, and there are not much people, who know the B Version. Most people know the standard red version, thats why they think, its a different driver/brand. My 681B almost sounds like my Shure SRH440, almost identical. Thats how big the difference between the 681 models is.

Look at the Samson and Presonus:

. . . they're al rebranded superluxes. I tested and opened every one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back