Review: Sunrise Xcited and Xcape Impressive Edition
Aug 25, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #109 of 262
Hey Joker, wanted to report in here after your advice.  :)

So I tried my friends' meelec cc51 to see what the cable noise was like. I still didn't like it so I figured I would just have to live with it or adapt. I went to order the Xcape IE edition and just got them. Trying to get used to wearing IEM's over-the-ear as we speak.

Thanks for your advice!

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #110 of 262
I've yet to have a very good experience with any ipod product as far as sound quality goes.. especially the iTouch. I don't think Apple cares much about their sound quality. If they don't care to make an expensive ***** iTouch sound good, why would they bother with a Nano? Just my .02 and I could be way off base. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #111 of 262
The apple lineup of DAPs are fine in the sound quality department. The Ipod Touch sounds fine from the 2g onwards. If anything a lot of the so called "audiophile" players are the ones to be wary of. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #112 of 262

Quote:
Hey Joker, wanted to report in here after your advice.  :)

So I tried my friends' meelec cc51 to see what the cable noise was like. I still didn't like it so I figured I would just have to live with it or adapt. I went to order the Xcape IE edition and just got them. Trying to get used to wearing IEM's over-the-ear as we speak.

Thanks for your advice!

If you have trouble with getting used to wearing them that way, a set of cable guides might help. They would also protect the cord from sweat/body oils, though my guess is the new Sunrise cables should hold up fine anyway.

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #114 of 262

Quote:
The apple lineup of DAPs are fine in the sound quality department. The Ipod Touch sounds fine from the 2g onwards. If anything a lot of the so called "audiophile" players are the ones to be wary of. 

I'll have to see what gen this is. But, no doubt about the fact that it is terrible. 

It's third gen, and I highly disagree that it sounds "fine" I can even tell in my car that the bass is ridiculously bloated and it is far from hi fi. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #115 of 262
It's bass isn't bloated, it's actually fairly linear, if anything it's the headphones. It's output impedance is kind of high, so it's not going to pair that well with headphones that spike up with added impedance. A DAP like the IP4 performs better than most DAPs out there, only few can surpass or match via HO, so I wouldn't generalize it so much.

You were better off making the remarks in the Portable section to say OT. 

The IEs aren't picky about source, so most sources will work well unless it's a really poor one. The 2G nano will do it justice. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #116 of 262

Quote:
It's bass isn't bloated, it's actually fairly linear. If anything I'll be wary of what headphones you're using. 

I have... 13 pairs or so laying around at the moment. I'll do some more serious listening to it.. There could be something weird going on in my car, but my clip always sounded very acceptable in my car. Perhaps some setting on the iPod needs to be tweaked as well. I'll do some 'splorin this weekend. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #117 of 262

Quote:
coming from the RE262, would the Xcape IE or the TD-III v2 be a better option?

Both would be a sizeable downgrade but I'd think the TD-III would be less shocking. It's got more bass than the RE262 but at least still has forward mids and a reasonably airy presentation. The IE won't have the clarity of the RE262 and will probably sound too laid-back and maybe a touch too thick coming from the HiFiMan. Technically it's better than the TD-III but the TD-III just has a very easy-going, immediately impressive sound signature.

For the record I don't think the 4G touch sounds as good as the Cowon J3, them being competitors, but it should be fine for most users.

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #118 of 262
I actually agree, the J3 is slightly better than the Touch 4, specially with those sensitive multi-BAs. But the Ipod Classic 7g and specially the IP4, are better than both. Apple don't make bad sounding DAPs at all. But I will say once again that the IE isn't picky about it's source, you should be fine. 

edit: Isn't the Cowon D3 the real Ipod Touch 4g competitor?

Aug 27, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #119 of 262
I ordered the Xcape IE, pretty excited to see how they sound. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #120 of 262

Quote:
Both would be a sizeable downgrade but I'd think the TD-III would be less shocking. It's got more bass than the RE262 but at least still has forward mids and a reasonably airy presentation. The IE won't have the clarity of the RE262 and will probably sound too laid-back and maybe a touch too thick coming from the HiFiMan. Technically it's better than the TD-III but the TD-III just has a very easy-going, immediately impressive sound signature.

I already have an IE but now im thinking of getting a pair with more fun to it. It does sound too laid-back, but sounds amazing on laid-back-type of music. Would the TD-III sound different enough from the IE to have both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back