Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Sep 24, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #2,251 of 2,566
  I haven't heard of JH Layla. So I can't give opinions on that.  

For the other three, I have sold Roxanne and K10. So I guess that says something :)

Roxanne is IMO a technically better option than K10. But K10's sound signature is more balanced and easier on the ears. 

SE5 way ultimate is on par with the other two with a more natural, realistic sounding. In contrast to SE5 ref, ult has more depth, and better instruments focus. But the overall brightness is similar, depending on the songs you choose, sometimes ult is brighter, sometimes REF is brighter. The lower end of ult is slightly more forward compared to ref, specially in the lower mid region (200- 1000 Hz). I still think ref offers a vocal presentation like nothing else, with the smoothness and liquidity. ult is great with vocals too, but it can get a little bit dry on the wrong source. 

I realized you didn't want a comparison between ref and ult. :) But hope it helps too.

Haven't share this for a long time :p

this chart is awesome! thanks for sharing this. I was looking for a direct comparison with the jh-16s. Looks like the se's are much better. i am contemplating the usual suspects that everyone is saying here (k10, layla, xe-6...) These are my front runner now. Looking to buy them soon

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #2,252 of 2,566
Tupac's chart is great but take it as one person's opinion. There are some scores I absolutely do not agree with :)

Sep 25, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #2,253 of 2,566
Tupac's chart is great but take it as one person's opinion. There are some scores I absolutely do not agree with
smily_headphones1.gif

"This organisation does not tolerate failure, Mr Bond!"   
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #2,255 of 2,566
I don't even agree on the chart all the time~  And I constantly change the numbers as I change/upgrade sources, cable and etc. 

There is really no right or wrong ways of doing this since everybody hears/tastes differently. But I know my chart will definitely piss off those ppl (most head-fiers here :p) who is constantly searching for the best out there which doesn't even exist :)

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #2,257 of 2,566
  I don't even agree on the chart all the time~  And I constantly change the numbers as I change/upgrade sources, cable and etc. 

There is really no right or wrong ways of doing this since everybody hears/tastes differently. But I know my chart will definitely piss off those ppl (most head-fiers here :p) who is constantly searching for the best out there which doesn't even exist :)

which sucks because that's what everyone looks for! But these can certainly help people to make decisions based on what they listen to 

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #2,258 of 2,566

True, but you can find which is YOUR best at a certain point in time. I use others, but mostly come back to Spiral Ear for sound and 846 for fun and convenience.

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #2,259 of 2,566
5wayRef and dx100 is my end game combo (mostly due to the fact that it gives me almost everything I want from SQ perspective, but I must admit that I simply lost passion for this hobby and I'm sticking with what I already achieved up to date and simply enjoy the music:))

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #2,264 of 2,566
Dehumidifer phobia running wild on Head Fi. I like in a humid city and 3 years with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back