Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Feb 9, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #2,146 of 2,566
I'm not sure if

Threaten other reshelling companies with legal measures.
Implement complicated design to render remolding impossible and most likely making them useless post warranty period.
Take a ridiculous amount for ownership transfer and service.

Is for the sake of " make it sound the way they made to" or for mr Benjamin.

Ever ask yourself how it would be like if the same practice is applied every other kind of products ?

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #2,148 of 2,566
Well, I don't doubt you're right about that.

Let's see if it hurts him in the wallet or not.

He clearly noticed that people found the se5 dark, or he wouldn't be putting out an alternate version. If it lifted the treble but avoided the common BA spikes at 5khz, 8khz or 10khz, and managed good extension, then I imagine it'll be very good. Whether that will overcome people's upset at these policies remains to be seen.

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #2,149 of 2,566

biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #2,151 of 2,566
I doubt it's hurting Spiral Ears, head-fi is a tiny, tiny consideration for all that it seems like our posts are earthshaking things.

Silicone is different from acrylic in that a reshell always means remaking the ciem entirely, rather than a much more minor process of buffing down a few spots, etc. That's the reason for the high price. As for having a no 2nd party reshell policy, I think this does make sure you hear what gregorz intended. The 2nd hand market in ciems has always been a bit silly. Gregorz comes from the pro audio side with ACS. Pro musicians wear their "ears" (which is what ciems are called in the industry) as a serious piece of gear, not to sell later. That's what the se5 is tuned for. The new variant may be a concession to the prosumer market, but I doubt it's his main focus.

We may not like his policy, but there are sound reasons for it.

Reshelling acrylics involves making a new shell and transferring the components. Probably easier than in a silicone but it's the same process. I would think cutting away and remolding may actually be something possible with a pliable solid silicone shell if not designed to prohibit same than a hard, thin hollow acrylic, might even be able to stuff a trimmed silicone into a hollow acrylic. Not how it's done but...  
 A consumer doesn't really care if it's made for the pro market or not, just how well it meets his needs and sensibilities, including resale value.

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #2,153 of 2,566
  tupac, I assume this is Ultimate. If possible, please share your impressions (if you don't want in public I'm waiting for your PM)

Yes, it's the ultimate. I am giving it some head time now. Don't wanna make quick judgements.

But I would say that everything in the description of SE5 ult delivers. :)
  Those look great.

Thanks~ The finish is indeed great! 

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #2,155 of 2,566
Yes, it's the ultimate. I am giving it some head time now. Don't wanna make quick judgements.

But I would say that everything in the description of SE5 ult delivers. :)
Thanks~ The finish is indeed great! 

Can't wait! Also for comparisons with the SE5 ref :)

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #2,156 of 2,566
Let me give some input on the SE5 ult after several hours of listening/ABing.

The first few minutes I put them on, it was not hard for me to capture the sound signature of a "SE5 WAY", it's still that warm, smooth, spacious and natural sounding CIEM. The extension on both ends are still one of kind. So actually I didn't get caught up by this new toy honey moon felling, I guess I will not ever get that again. However it didn't take me long to hear the change/improvement over the SE5 ref. 

SE5 ult vs SE5 ref:

The most significant difference is the mid section, specially upper-mid portion. It's being pushed back quite a bit, but still far from sounding recessed. The vocals are still very involving and lush. But it's not hard to find that this change in the mid section results in a more coherent, neutral, balanced, and accurate CIEM compared to SE5 ref. As a result, the treble, specially the lower treble is more pronounced, providing a better sense of airiness and transparency (for those who get the “closed”, "blocking" type of impression about ref, this will be solved to a large extent in ult). The focus of the instruments and vocals is a lot sharper with a greater sense of sparkle. So now the SE5 ult is fantastic for listening to music that is composed of more string-instruments (this doesn't mean it's bad at what SE5 ref is capable of doing at all) . To my ears that seems to be a reduction in the mid-upper treble region, and combining with the reduction in the upper mid, you will get a much CLEANER presentation than SE5 ref. You do not get the feel of this "overly presented micro detail" in the music with SE5 ref anymore (specially in the songs with careless and dirty mixing/mastering). This really impressed me, because it must take a lot of time and effort to get this right. The overall resolution and detail is on the same level as SE5 ref, though they are presented in a more accurate way to my ears. The width of the soundstage of SE5 ult didn't change much compared to SE5 ref. But the depth and front-to-back distance really increased due to the less emphasis in the upper-mid section. Thus you will feel the vocals on ult are more laid back compared to SE5 ref, but the overall fullness of the presentation improves, because on SE5 ref I do get the feeling of "thinness" in certain songs. The dynamic and ADSR is slightly better on the SE5 ult too. The bass of SE5 ult actually also sounds more neutral than SE5 ref (I know, it seems impossible to have improvement in every department in SE5 ult). There is a slight reduction in the sub-bass and a slight increase in the mid-bass. So not only you get the earth-quake type of rumble from SE5 ref, you also get a faster bass with better punch and texture. So overall SE5 ult is really smoother CIEM compared to SE5 ref, but not sounding brighter. The overall brightness of SE5 ult is again very dependent on the songs you play, I would say the overall brightness is similar to SE5 ref, it's just presented in different way. The brightness of SE5 ref is primary determined by its pronounced upper mid region, while the brightness of SE5 ult is from it's overall combination of upper-mid, lower and mid-treble. So if you listen to guitar music, ult is brighter, but if you listen to a vocal pop song, it might actually become warmer than before. So don't expect SE5 ult to sound like NT6. It's still a balanced, warm CIEM with perfect tuning for natural, realistic sound.

The best way I can describe SE5 ref vs SE5 ult is LCD 2 rev.1 (as ref) vs LCD 2 rev.2 (as ult). The change is not day and night, but it's definitely an improvement over the older version. But this all comes down to personal preference. I actually preferred LCD 2 rev.1 over rev.2 when I was comparing the two because I was too obsessed about its creamy/toxic vocals. This is exactly the case for SE5 ref vs SE5 ult. If you are those people who think the extreme "creamy, sponge type" of forward vocal defines how SE5 should sound, than you might like ref better than ult (like I did for LCD 2 rev.1). So the newbies might find that SE5 ult is less "characteristic" compared to SE5 ref, you might think it's a boring version of SE5 ref. But I think I am now more "mature" about what I want to hear in a CIEM, so now the important aspect for me is accuracy and neutrality which truly determines whether a CIEM is versatile and can play wider genres of music. So I will choose ult over ref. any day and I think ult is totally worth the extra 400 euro. 

So well done Grzegorz! I don't know how you make a CIEM sound even better with less complicated design/procedure (from the way of how the electronic components are structured SE5 ult)

Will update more when I have more findings. So far I enjoy it very much! 

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #2,157 of 2,566
tupac, so, basically, SE lowered 2-4 kHz region and increased 4-8 kHz region. If yes, then this definitely should translate into less forward vocals, more distance, more air and better clarity. Since, SE claims that they did not change bass tuning I assume that what you are hearing in bass department is the result of the changes in 2-8 kHz and not direct changes in bass department (as according to SE no changes were made in bass region). IMHO the same may apply to PRaT.

BTW, I don't find Ref vocals excessively creamy, lush etc. Yes, they are definitely a little bit forward and emotional.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #2,158 of 2,566
  tupac, so, basically, SE lowered 2-4 kHz region and increased 4-8 kHz region. If yes, then this definitely should translate into less forward vocals, more distance, more air and better clarity. Since, SE claims that they did not change bass tuning I assume that what you are hearing in bass department is the result of the changes in 2-8 kHz and not direct changes in bass department (as according to SE no changes were made in bass region). IMHO the same may apply to PRaT.

BTW, I don't find Ref vocals excessively creamy, lush etc. Yes, they are definitely a little bit forward and emotional.

Yeah. The bass is basically the same, but I do get a more of punchy feel instead of rumbling when bass lands. Maybe it's due to the spectrum is much linear, so the overall whole bass region is slightly more pronounced, that's a possibility.

And yes, 2-4 kHz region is significantly reduced, that's the major difference here.

IMO, SE5 ref has the smoothest, fullest, most lush, most dense vocals within all my CIEMs because of the combination of a big hump at 2-4 kHz and a big cut at 6-8 K Hz.  It's definitely very emotional, evolving with incredible detail and layer. The vocals on SE5 ref give me a feeling of tasting “marshmallow” yet with liquidity if you get what I mean, so it's not exactly creamy, I really don't know how to put in words . SE5 ult still doesn't lose any of the unique vocal properties in ref completely, but they are reduced to a large extent. As a result, everything sounds more correct and realistic on the SE5 ult. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #2,159 of 2,566
Yeah. The bass is basically the same, but I do get a more of punchy feel instead of rumbling when bass lands. Maybe it's due to the spectrum is much linear, so the overall whole bass region is slightly more pronounced, that's a possibility.

And yes, 2-4 kHz region is significantly reduced, that's the major difference here.

IMO, SE5 ref has the smoothest, fullest, most lush, most dense vocals within all my CIEMs because of the combination of a big hump at 2-4 kHz and a big cut at 6-8 K Hz.  It's definitely very emotional, evolving with incredible detail and layer. The vocals on SE5 ref give me a feeling of tasting “marshmallow” yet with liquidity if you get what I mean, so it's not exactly creamy, I really don't know how to put in words . SE5 ult still doesn't lose any of the unique vocal properties in ref completely, but they are reduced to a large extent. As a result, everything sounds more correct and realistic on the SE5 ult. 

Would you say it is linear/ flat?

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #2,160 of 2,566
Congratulations; glad you like it, Tupac.

However, I still haven't seen any reason, anywhere, to convince me that the SE5 Ult legitimately deserves to cost approx €350 more than the SE5 Ref.

I welcome being educated on the reason(s) (if any...), if anyone knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back