Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Jan 19, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #2,086 of 2,566
  Just got the same info from Grzegorz with a little additional information warning not to reshell via third-party companies.

1. "'It is not possible to reshell/remould 5-way Ultimate via third-party companies. Our anti-reverse engineering solution makes it impossible to have the monitors reshelled by anyone else, any attempts at copyright infringement or other intellectual property rights misuse of our products will be prosecuted by law."

It would be fun to hear these SE 5-ways - Ref vs. Ultimate - side by side. Hopefully, one day Grzegorz will find time to develop some demos and allow us to have a US tour so we can hear them.

For now, who is going to take one for the team and be the first to order so that they can report back?
wink_face.gif

I thought there's been several SE5 getting reshelled already?

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #2,088 of 2,566
That kinda made me laugh seriously. I think he is the only insider I know that does reshell at the half price of the original product no matter what monitor is that. So more or less 1300 euros SE5way reference reshell will cost you about 650 euros. If you have SE1way pro I guess it will cost you about 115 euros or something to reshell it.

I don't get the idea behind it. More complex mechanism? More precise work is needed?

Well, Peter did awesome job and even fixed my out of factory non working tweeters (didn't charge anything for this) for fixed price (was it 75 euros? something like that, very small amount) no matter what c/iem you bring to him. Plus the guy has a legendary customer service. Also for those who value fancy looking silicone ciems, Peter can make hell of a designs with wonderful build quality.

Grzegorz is extremely talented and very professional nobody doubts that but that reshell/remold policy/method is just... meh at best.

So we gonna pay 1600 euros for "ultimate" and when we need refit in time due to miscellaneous reasons, we will have to pay 800 euros to Grzegorz and no other company can do it... Yeeeeaaaaah riiiiiiight.

Plus, I kinda like the coloration of my "reference" monitors. Only thing would make me more interested is quantity increase in bass but apparently they will have more or less the same bass. Never like the bright sound either. It can be the ultimate but not my cup of tea probably.

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #2,089 of 2,566
Those being reshelled
were reference instead of ultimate.

Oops missed that part. Thanks for pointing out, though I think they'll get reshelled by a 3rd party sooner or later anyway.

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #2,091 of 2,566
What is the "Ultimate" version? I imagine the "reference" one is called "reference" because it strives to be flat sounded? And the ultimate will strive to have fun coloration?

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #2,092 of 2,566
  What is the "Ultimate" version? I imagine the "reference" one is called "reference" because it strives to be flat sounded? And the ultimate will strive to have fun coloration?

It's actually the opposite :wink:

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #2,094 of 2,566

Are you gonna go for the new version? Wonder if I'd like a flatter SE5 :wink:.

I already did :). I wonder the same thing! I (always) have faith in SE5.

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #2,097 of 2,566

At first glance I thought that if the buyer buys a second hand SE product the only fee which he/she needs to pay to SE for reshelling is EUR 150. But, someone pointed out to me that the buyer will actually need to pay one fee for remold and the second fee for the transfer of ownership. So, the total cost for the buyer for reshelling SE product will consist of: price paid to the seller for the used SE product + EUR 329 (consisting of EUR 179 fee fore remold and EUR 150 fee for transfer of ownership.).

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #2,099 of 2,566
Lol, uh no. $375 USD for a reshell is ridiculous.

You would probably need to add shipping cost as well.  I remember it was around 50 euros when I got my 5 way to Atlanta my friend :)
So if you want a second hand 5 way, make sure you get a good deal. There are people trying to sell theirs for $1300. In this case, you should probably get a new one..
And custom arts can NOT preform reshell of 5 way from now on, just to let folks know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back