Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Jan 30, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #2,101 of 2,566

You would probably need to add shipping cost as well.  I remember it was around 50 euros when I got my 5 way to Atlanta my friend :)
So if you want a second hand 5 way, make sure you get a good deal. There are people trying to sell theirs for $1300. In this case, you should probably get a new one..
And custom arts can NOT perform reshell of 5 way from now on, just to let folks know.

Why not?

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #2,102 of 2,566
Jan 30, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #2,103 of 2,566
I get wanting to protect your designs, etc but all this latest news is not customer friendly and greatly dimishes any thoughts I had of ever buying a Spiral Ears product. I'm sure most won't care but it's certainly off putting to me.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #2,105 of 2,566

And custom arts can NOT preform reshell of 5 way from now on, just to let folks know.

Is not allowed, capable, or won't? all this control on reshell sounds like tentative of intimidation to me and this ant-reverse engineering BS.
I am waiting for official communication from Piotr on this subject.

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #2,106 of 2,566
I would say it is more for perfectionist sake, rather than for reverse-engineering. It is quality control by Piotr.

Quote from off the warranty section of his website:
  "
Please note that any attempts at reshelling SE monitors are so far incompetent, making them no longer Spiral Ear products! Any such modification voids warranty."

When molding for silicone it is more like 'not capable' of remolding. Unlike acrylic ciem's, silicone is not a hollow cavity that you simply stick your drivers in; where you depend on the quality of the drivers and the hardwired crossover. With silicone all space is filled; there is a new dimension involved for design. You need to drill pathways and design for how the acoustics will bounce all sound.  Other third-party remolders will simply not follow manufacturer's vision in the final sound-tweaking via acoustical design.  

Plus premium manufacturers are always obsessive of their designs being taken to a tangent. Luxury European manufacturers limit the ability to mod their products by contract with their customers (any machine loses it's warranty, but people may be more empathetic to a car example where normally modding is expected i.e. Ferrari's no-mod contract). This is could normal to Piotr, but a culture shock for the rest of the internet population.

tl;dr: CIEM designs have evolved to be more complicated than simply remolding.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #2,108 of 2,566
I mean, of course reshelling voids the warranty. Who in their mind would have thought otherwise? You are basically destroying the product to rebuild it. There is intentional destruction involved.

Nothing has changed. You can still reshell the monitors if you want to, same as before. You just won't get warranty support if you do, which you wouldn't have gotten anyways. There is literally nothing stopping you from doing it.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #2,110 of 2,566
I mean, of course reshelling voids the warranty. Who in their mind would have thought otherwise? You are basically destroying the product to rebuild it. There is intentional destruction involved.

Nothing has changed. You can still reshell the monitors if you want to, same as before. You just won't get warranty support if you do, which you wouldn't have gotten anyways. There is literally nothing stopping you from doing it.

But is it against the law now? 

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #2,111 of 2,566
In the US, it totally IS NOT against the law (your mileage may vary depending on the region).  First sale doctrine in the US clearly means that after the first sale of an item, the seller has no business telling the buyer what they can or cannot do with the item.  The purchaser owns the item outright.  The media and software companies get around this by saying you are purchasing a license to use the content.  This doesn't hold water with physical items.

If I live in the US and use a US-based reshelling company, there's literally nothing Grzegorz can legally do to prevent me from getting it reshelled.  He can choose to not do business with me in the future, but he has less than no right to tell me what to do with something I already own.

It's probably slightly different in the EU, so don't take my advice for that market.  But as a US customer, I would be well within my legal rights to do whatever the heck I wanted to do with my personal, purchased item.  As long as I am not duplicating the design and producing a commercial product that I am reselling, I am okay.  I am well within my rights to have something modified to fit my needs.  If I want to have something that I owned reshelled so it fits my ears, I can do whatever I want to make that happen, at least in the US.

It might be different if there were some sort of digital lock circuit or digital key that I would have to bypass to do that.  However, there is no such thing, and there couldn't be for this to work.  Defeating technological locks falls under the purview of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, but purely physical measures aren't covered by that.

Of course, if it got broken when it was being reshelled, or never sounded as good as the original item, that would be tough luck on my part.  I wouldn't be covered by the original warranty, but I would also have no thought that destructively rebuilding a CIEM would be covered under warranty.
Edit: sorry, sleep addled brain, I meant Grzegorz and wrote Piotr. I apologize for that!

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #2,114 of 2,566
  I would say it is more for perfectionist sake, rather than for reverse-engineering. It is quality control by Piotr.

When molding for silicone it is more like 'not capable' of remolding. Unlike acrylic ciem's, silicone is not a hollow cavity that you simply stick your drivers in; where you depend on the quality of the drivers and the hardwired crossover. With silicone all space is filled; there is a new dimension involved for design. You need to drill pathways and design for how the acoustics will bounce all sound.  Other third-party remolders will simply not follow manufacturer's vision in the final sound-tweaking via acoustical design.  

Plus premium manufacturers are always obsessive of their designs being taken to a tangent. Luxury European manufacturers limit the ability to mod their products by contract with their customers (any machine loses it's warranty, but people may be more empathetic to a car example where normally modding is expected i.e. Ferrari's no-mod contract). This is could normal to Piotr, but a culture shock for the rest of the internet population.

tl;dr: CIEM designs have evolved to be more complicated than simply remolding.

First off, I doubt there's any drilling other than maybe to set the connector or clear the tip. Just tubes etc set in silicone I would think the easiest way to do a silicone reshell would be to trim away as much as possible while maintaining the working parts in a one piece assembly and molding around that. Trying to remove all the component parts to reassemble etc would be a difficult and treacherous endeavor. Even if acrylic, I'd drop that skeleton into a shell and fill the voids with silicone. Unless solid or opaque, you'ld probably notice as well.

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #2,115 of 2,566
It's nothing to do with the law or warranty. Good luck finding someone to reshell in silicone. The best option available has apparently stopped due to this announcement. And if you find another and post about it, I'm sure he will contact them as well and it will be a matter of time before they stop too. Nothing like owning a product that the manufacturer actively tries to keep you from being able to resell.

I suspect they're happy to have an excuse to not work with the medium. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back