Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Dec 28, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #1,713 of 2,566
Both Great CIEMs. 

JH13 is a fairly balanced CIEM with a little bit forward sound presentation. It's tuned to throw the instruments right in front of you with all the details (even with the freq phase). It has great clarity and good imaging. Extensions are great on both ends too. It's being considered to be one of the most neutral CIEMs on the market.

On the other hand, se5 sounds more laid back/3D with better depth and laying. The vocals integrated so well with instruments, giving you fuller/clearer vocal, but at the same time not all over your face like TG334. The detail level/imaging ability are higher with SE5 due to its super linear treble and extension. SE5 can put out much more bass power when required.  JH13 might sounds a little bit analytical when compared with SE5 directly which sounds more organic and bigger, although they are overall about the same brightness due to different mid/treble type (with JH13 focused on lower treble/upper mid while se5‘s mid/treble is distributed evenly through the entire spectrum).  Overall soundstage width are about the same for the two.

SE5 is capable of doing just about every genre of music (specially good with vocals) while JH13 is better IMO for music with great dynamics and more instruments.
Both sound great when not A/Bed.

I am really trying not to be biased.. Well this is the best I can do for the two.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #1,714 of 2,566
Did anyone notice any audible differences with SE 5-way while using it in balanced mode ? Since the 5-way is very sensitive in terms of amplification and source, it could be that it is a great step up. Correct me if I'm wrong... I don't mean that the SE-5way sound bad with a weaker source but reading through the reviews I came to the conclusion that you need a good source/amp to get the best out of it

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #1,715 of 2,566
  Both Great CIEMs. 

JH13 is a fairly balanced CIEM with a little bit forward sound presentation. It's tuned to throw the instruments right in front of you with all the details (even with the freq phase). It has great clarity and good imaging. Extensions are great on both ends too. It's being considered to be one of the most neutral CIEMs on the market.

On the other hand, se5 sounds more laid back/3D with better depth and laying. The vocals integrated so well with instruments, giving you fuller/clearer vocal, but at the same time not all over your face like TG334. The detail level/imaging ability are higher with SE5 due to its super linear treble and extension. SE5 can put out much more bass power when required.  JH13 might sounds a little bit analytical when compared with SE5 directly which sounds more organic and bigger, although they are overall about the same brightness due to different mid/treble type (with JH13 focused on lower treble/upper mid while se5‘s mid/treble is distributed evenly through the entire spectrum).  Overall soundstage width are about the same for the two.

SE5 is capable of doing just about every genre of music (specially good with vocals) while JH13 is better IMO for music with great dynamics and more instruments.
Both sound great when not A/Bed.

I am really trying not to be biased.. Well this is the best I can do for the two.

Thanks a ton buddy. I guess the jh13pro would be my choice for now. Just wanted to verify that there wasn't a great gap between the two in terms of sound quality. Cheers

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #1,716 of 2,566
Well I gotta say, as a SE5way owner, unfortunately I, for the moment, don't have a desirable source/amp system to feed my excellent ciems.

I can say, actually they perform quite "okay" with basic setups, like laptops, smartphones, Clip+ etc. While you seriously feel that the ciem demands for more, it still doesn't ruin your ears or pleasure.

I can possibly imagine, when you feed them with what they deserve, they must be taking things to the level that only several systems can achieve.

So, basic setups would give you pretty nice sound but of course with higher end source/amp sections, you get the best of the ciems.

Dec 28, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #1,717 of 2,566
The SE5 is extremely revealing in the vocals department with a 3D sound staging. Not very wide but lots of depth to it's sound staging.

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #1,718 of 2,566
The SE5 is extremely revealing in the vocals department with a 3D sound staging. Not very wide but lots of depth to it's sound staging.

Still gonna thank you for helping me finding one of the best source for SE5:wink: Rocoo BA + dynamic firmware is just incredible.

It sounds the closet to my DX100. If you ask me to blind ABing them, I could go wrong easily.  They sound so alike, DX100 (mid gain) might have a bit more bass power if at all and smoothness in treble. BA might sound a tiny hair brighter. DX100's beautiful treble is simply the best I have heard from a DAP. Super linear and absolutely peak-free which provides a bit better detail control. Dx100 IMO is just the definition of "neutral" when it comes to DAPs which of course pairs flawlessly with the "natural" SE5.

For all the sources I have tried, I would say with se5, it goes:
1. Anedio D2
2. Dx100
3. Rocoo BA
4. 901
5. Studio 3rd
6. 801
7. Studio 2nd
8. AK120

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #1,719 of 2,566
  Still gonna thank you for helping me finding one of the best source for SE5:wink: Rocoo BA + dynamic firmware is just incredible.

It sounds the closet to my DX100. If you ask me to blind ABing them, I could go wrong easily.  They sound so alike, DX100 (mid gain) might have a bit more bass power if at all and smoothness in treble. BA might sound a tiny hair brighter. DX100's beautiful treble is simply the best I have heard from a DAP. Super linear and absolutely peak-free which provides a bit better detail control. Dx100 IMO is just the definition of "neutral" when it comes to DAPs which of course pairs flawlessly with the "natural" SE5.

1. Anedio D2
2. Dx100
3. Rocoo BA
4. 901
5. Studio 3rd
6. 801
7. Studio 2nd
8. AK120

your AK120 rating :frowning2:.... Hope I don't have to buy another DAP soon. Makes even a bigger hole in my wallet. Rocoo BA isn't available anymore.. Did you rate the AK120 without seperate amp ?

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #1,720 of 2,566

1. Anedio D2
2. Dx100
3. Rocoo BA
4. 901
5. Studio 3rd
6. 801
7. Studio 2nd
8. AK120

Are you getting the new Sony? I have one on order, I'm hoping the pairing will be really good considering the early impressions. The 901 is really good sounding, but can be overly lush with the SE5 it pairs much better with the 1p2. Selling off the 901 seems to be a task now a days though. 
mad.gif

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #1,721 of 2,566
  your AK120 rating :frowning2:.... Hope I don't have to buy another DAP soon. Makes even a bigger hole in my wallet. Rocoo BA isn't available anymore.. Did you rate the AK120 without seperate amp ?

Sorry. I should say AK120 with its "2nd" firmware. It was absolutely hopeless. It improves soooo much when paired with amp.

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #1,722 of 2,566

Are you getting the new Sony? I have one on order, I'm hoping the pairing will be really good considering the early impressions. The 901 is really good sounding, but can be overly lush with the SE5 it pairs much better with the 1p2. Selling off the 901 seems to be a task now a days though. 
mad.gif

I want to, but I was worried about if it's powerful enough to drive SE5. Also I heard it sound crispy?..hmm don't know if it's a good or bad sign for SE5. It depends on which part of treble is "crispy". I doubt it can technically keep up with DX100. 901 as a DAC is super, as good as dx100, but its amp cards aren't top class. Although they all sound lush, it's either very slow, not powerful enough or all over the place that produce harsh peaks for CIEMs.

Dec 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,723 of 2,566
Did anyone notice any audible differences with SE 5-way while using it in balanced mode ? Since the 5-way is very sensitive in terms of amplification and source, it could be that it is a great step up. Correct me if I'm wrong... I don't mean that the SE-5way sound bad with a weaker source but reading through the reviews I came to the conclusion that you need a good source/amp to get the best out of it
Balanced out of 901 it sounds great, I feel it adds some space and airiness.

Dec 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #1,724 of 2,566
  I want to, but I was worried about if it's powerful enough to drive SE5. Also I heard it sound crispy?..hmm don't know if it's a good or bad sign for SE5. It depends on which part of treble is "crispy". I doubt it can technically keep up with DX100. 901 as a DAC is super, as good as dx100, but its amp cards aren't top class. Although they all sound lush, it's either very slow, not powerful enough or all over the place that produce harsh peaks for CIEMs.

That definitely was a concern of mine, but after speaking with Mim - I think it will be fine. As for the 901 vs DX100 - honestly I don't think the DX100 comes close, but that could be a matter of preference and individual pairing. I think the SE5 could use a bit more treble energy, so hopefully I'll be happy with the Sony. The DX100 comes with too many problems - the same that I thought I could overcome with the 901. SQ is really good, ergo and usability not so much although apparently it has gotten a lot better. As for the harsh peaks - I don't get any of that with the 901.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back