Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Dec 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #1,696 of 2,566
  I've had my Fusion IEM cable for about 3 weeks now and I'm really happy with the purchase. This thing improves upon what I feel already is one of the best CIEMs around. Quite flexible and very ergonomic. 

Wonderful purchase Greed, congrats. Is it TRRS terminated to use with balanced card of HM901?

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #1,697 of 2,566

Wonderful purchase Greed, congrats. Is it TRRS terminated to use with balanced card of HM901?

Yea, Peter was able to do that for me at no additional charge. It is a bit of a gamble though because if I ever want to sell my 901 or use this particular cable with anything else I need an adapter (which is in the works right now, I just haven't got around to it). 

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #1,698 of 2,566

Yea, Peter was able to do that for me at no additional charge. It is a bit of a gamble though because if I ever want to sell my 901 or use this particular cable with anything else I need an adapter (which is in the works right now, I just haven't got around to it). 

Seems like a nice deal. May I ask how is the connection? Did you mention anything special about the pins or you just ordered with default Westone style 2-pin connection and it has a secure fit already?

I am gonna order an aftermarket cable in the future (there is a big chance with RSA balanced termination), so I am already doing my research slowly.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #1,699 of 2,566
Seems like a nice deal. May I ask how is the connection? Did you mention anything special about the pins or you just ordered with default Westone style 2-pin connection and it has a secure fit already?

I am gonna order an aftermarket cable in the future (there is a big chance with RSA balanced termination), so I am already doing my research slowly.

I used the same measurements as Michael's cable. The pins are modified to 4mm in replacement of the standard 3mm. They seem to fit very well. Not too tight, but very secure.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #1,701 of 2,566
Wonderful information, thank you very much both Greed and Mim. So I don't need to get scared when I order aftermarket cables for my SE5way, with the correct guide to manufacturer, it can be done easily.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #1,702 of 2,566
  Hey Greed, I have the same ! But I have the adapter also. I chose an adapter with wire in the middle, I find it less heavy in the rig.

Yea, I was thinking about getting the adapter as well, but I was getting ahead of myself thinking I would have the time to DIY my own. I might pick one up soon. The pigtail design is much better than the regular adapter, I agree. The regular adapter puts too much strain on the jack. 

Honestly, this rig seems to keep me satisfied. Right now I'm mainly interested in the Sony DAP (I feel it might be a good pairing with the SE5) but other than that, the SE5 has brought me both comfort and reference quality sound that is unrivaled at this point. The signature is just right, especially for something portable. I just got a new pair of 1plus2+uber in, and I don't seem to find the same joy I once experienced. The sound is slightly fatiguing in comparison. So much so that I might actually sell them... 
blink.gif

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #1,703 of 2,566
I just ask for a little help although I think know your answer!
After almost two years in this universe parallel I take more pleasure with the iem!
And I had the luck or bad luck (that's up to you) lto listen some Fitear universals versions (335/435/334)
I loved the 335 more than 435!And the term is exact!I fell in love!
But here in France we can't have it!
I want a warm sound with lots of details and  I reduced my choices to two pairs : SE3 REF or SE5 REF
If someone have try the two pairs ?
Or if someone have try the 335 and tell me the differences or similarities between the Fitear products and the Spiral ears products!(I think the SE5 are pretty the same presentation or overall sound than the 435, tell me if I was wrong or not)

I know already your answer Mimouille!

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #1,704 of 2,566
I only listened universals of 435,345,344 like you and I have se5 and se3 pro.

Se5 sounds nothing alike any of fitear model.
Although both se5 and 335 has great bass, se5 is more true to the recording and source adjusting its bass on different songs like joe mentioned. 335 IMO is almost a bass dominating CIEM. Its mid bass is always on. Se5 has much more linear frequency response from mid-treble compared to 335. So even though se5 is on the smoother side of neutral, it sounds brighter than 335 with more mid body/density, more details, more transparency and more resolution. But if you want smooth and musical sound without giving up much neutrality, you are in the right place.

435 IMO sounds super on some recording (especially acoustic live) because of that hump at upper mid resulting in a clear/forward presentation. But on some modern mixed songs, it can sound tone off sometimes.
But it's not fair to compare universal (although I was confident about the seal/fit) with CIEM, so just to give you a general idea.
My se3 pro sounds warmer, more bassy than se5.

Dec 28, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #1,706 of 2,566
Thanks for your answer!
I choose the exemples of 335 just to show you what kind of sound I prefer!
And the Se3 pro and Se3 ref are not the same?the sound is different ?
I contact Grzegorz and that is answer:
"3-way Reference are balanced throughout the spectrum, with dynamic and powerful low tones, extended, life-like mids which are very analogue and organic and smooth, rather non-fatiguing highs, which are ideal for long listening sessions and for monitoring.

5-way Reference, on the other hand, take every most prominent qualities of 3-way Ref as well as other SE monitors and expand them to yet another level in every direction of the sound spectrum"

The Se3 ref is a se5 baby?share the same philosophy!

Dec 28, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #1,707 of 2,566
I think my se3 pro sounds like a se3 reference which had warm, smooth sound.

Se3 pro is supposed to sounds like a thinner, brighter se5.

If you like the warmth of 335, I think se3 ref might be a good choice

Dec 28, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #1,708 of 2,566
I think my se3 pro sounds like a se3 reference which had warm, smooth sound.

Se3 pro is supposed to sounds like a thinner, brighter se5.

If you like the warmth of 335, I think se3 ref might be a good choice

I think and hope so!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back