Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Dec 3, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #1,651 of 2,566
Yes, just have to refinance the house first... http://www.audiostream.com/content/msb-technology-analog-dac-0

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #1,652 of 2,566
  Lee, what is the amp on your chain in between your DACport LX and your SE5. And what would happen if you replaced the DACport LX with a ODAC (no O2, just ODAC). Can you or anyone report on how this sounds on the SE5.

I know things get overhyped, but quoting average_joe, (he took the O2 out) “I decided to see if this DAC [ODAC] was a true giant killer by comparing it with the Anedio D1 DAC and found the difference much smaller than the price would indicate, although the D1 is more resolving, spacious, clear, and concise. “ http://www.head-fi.org/t/585786/multi-portable-amp-thread-16-amps-reviewed-leckerton-uha-6s-mkii-added (he goes on to agree with you that when you have the O2 amp in the stack, the sound deteriorates markedly.)

My goal here is not directly about portable. Its simply about USB OTG support. Say, for my semi-portable tablet, not for my portable phone. And thus I don't need to go in an AK120, DX100, or that new Sony NWZ-ZX1. What is the "s-mod"?

I’m ready to love the DACport DX just as hard as everyone in this thread. I’m ready to love the Anedio. But their manufacturers are hostile to USB OTG. So I am just looking to broaden a list of DACs, that can do the SE5 justice, in the hope that one of them intentionally or accidentally supports USB OTG. 

Triad L3 with Firestone PSU. The DACport LX is a Class A DAC. It was no until I paired the Triad L3 and Firestone PSU to the LX did I realize its full potential. That is an $800+ dollar amp and add in the PSU which would cost you over $200 (Triads own PSU). I think around $250 or so. That is roughly $1,100+ to get the most out of this DAC. I just don't see the ODAC comparing in terms of scalability. Now if you are going to skimp on the amp section well then you have a point and there is no reason to put too much emphasis into the DAC section either. That's not to say the ODAC isn't good. Just there's better.

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #1,653 of 2,566
Let's list our stacks in our forum signatures.

It sounds like the popular stacks are, in increasing order of price...
Samsung Note 2 - Neutron Player - USB OTG - ODAC - Tralucent T1 - SE5 (soon come)
DACport LX - Tralucent T1 - SE5
DACport LX - Triad L3 + Firestone PSU - SE5

And then similar stacks employing one or more of...
Anedio D1
Anedio D2 (jumper to high gain)
MSB Technology The Analog DAC

Or simpler stacks where you simply use
DX100
ZX1
AK120 (with S-mod)

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #1,654 of 2,566
  Let's list our stacks in our forum signatures.

It sounds like the popular stacks are, in increasing order of price...
Samsung Note 2 - Neutron Player - USB OTG - ODAC - Tralucent T1 - SE5 (soon come)
DACport LX - Tralucent T1 - SE5
DACport LX - Triad L3 + Firestone PSU - SE5

And then similar stacks employing one or more of...
Anedio D1
Anedio D2 (jumper to high gain)
MSB Technology The Analog DAC

DX100
ZX1
AK120 (with S-mod)

You are forgetting two of the best (IMO): the Tera player, which is to me a WONDERFUL pairing with the SE5 and the 901 with balanced card.

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #1,655 of 2,566
Good point Mimouille, I change last section to read:

iBasso DX100 $829
Sony ZX1 ¥67,320
AK120 (with S-mod) $1299 (+?)
Altmann Tera-Player http://www.tera-player.com/ €1680
HiFiMAN HM-901+Balanced Amplifier Card $1279

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #1,656 of 2,566
The AK120-S mod will run you around $1,800.00. Then you have to get a good amp for it. So well over $2,000.00. But factor in it pretty much kill all other portables/semi portables. You'r limiting factor in this setup in most cases will be the amp you pair with it.

BTW the DACport LX with T1 amp is in no comparable to the DACport LX, Triad L3 and Firestone PSU combo. Totally different levels of audio quality. Takes it from a portable rig to desktop quality. Just depends how far you want to push the envelope and how much you want to get out of your SE5s. :)

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #1,658 of 2,566
So all in all you can get a great sohndinf5 portable rig for a mere 4.5k...what a bargain
wink.gif

Well you paid close to $2000 for your SE5. So why not go with a bang :wink:. If Im gonna pay that kinda money for the IEM or headphone you can bet I wanna get its full potential.

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #1,659 of 2,566

Well you paid close to $2000 for your SE5. So why not go with a bang :wink:. If Im gonna pay that kinda money for the IEM or headphone you can bet I wanna get its full potential.

Lee, did you win the lottery during 2013 or have you married some rich widow whom you haven't told us all about?
rolleyes.gif

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #1,660 of 2,566
Dec 4, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #1,661 of 2,566
I understand where you guys are coming from but just need to point out a few things.

My goal is not a portable rig. I just want to lounge around the house with my Android tablet and run USB out to my DAC and my stack. (Though soon I might be asking for DACs to talk DLNA over wireless...) 

For me, to "have it all" means the convenience of accessing my entire music collection, off my NAS, over my LAN (or even the internet when I travel), possibly using DLNA. So far the best ways I found to do this are using DS Audio on Android. I'd also like to try the floating-point precision of Neutron, again on Android. I'd like to be able to try many different music players. 

And the fact is that only a couple of those stacks I've identified give me Android and USB OTG. For $4000 is it too much to ask? I think the DX100 and the ZX1 will let me use various Android software (and obviate the need for USB OTG). Though the DX100 and its Android 2.3 is getting pretty old. But I suspect you would consider these to be half measures anyway, in terms of audio quality

The AK120, the Altmann Tera-Player, and the HiFiMAN HM-901+Balanced Amplifier Card will limit me to one and only one (built-in) audio player, and I believe they don't talk to the network and they don't fit my 1.25 TB of 90,000 flacs.

There is a chance that The Analog DAC supports USB OTG. But the DACport and the Anedios do not. So perversely enough, as far as I can tell at this point, the $150 ODAC is the only option I have found, that supports USB OTG and the rest of my vision.

If I ever find buy a $2000 DAC and a $2000 amp, that $149 ODAC and $259 Tralucent won't seem like such a cost. 

Another solution was pointed out, if I were willing to forego having software player options, and stick to UARP/UAPP android software, they would let me use the DACport LX (and a broader variety of Android devices). Would need to inject some watts into the USB chain also. 

Hey, that iQube might support USB OTG, at least there is a report that the v2 does...

One problem remains. The DACport LX is only $249. Do we consider it to be a portable component? Aren't portable components, and inexpensive components, incompatible with getting the ultimate sound? :wink:

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #1,662 of 2,566
Yes and that's why I just got an Accuphase DP-500 for the SE-5. I can't remember when I was as happy as I am right now. It'll be interesting to compare my Meier Audio Jazz + Cinch with a Violectric V200 + XLR, though that can wait
floatsmile.png
Seriously, this combo kicks ***

Dec 4, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #1,663 of 2,566
Well in conclusion I can see I have nowhere to go but up from where I am...

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #1,664 of 2,566
I wouldn't over-think this too much. Regarding my home setup, I was just commenting that it sounded really good. The MSB is overkill for your application IMO. As for your predicament, I would keep researching, many of these options you have limited your self to are just the standard setups many of us are using. There are a TON of setups that will do wonders with the SE5. Most won't cost much either. First thing you need to do is set a budget. After that you can eliminate quite a few options. Source (DAC) IMO will be more important, especially for CIEMs. The SE5 while having a high impedance aren't hard to drive at all. Meaning your amp isn't going to need loads of power. I would allocate most of your set budget towards your DAC.

My 2c

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #1,665 of 2,566
Its easy to put your stack in your signature. Just click on your name on the top right, then on "Edit my Signature". 

I will be testing out the 2 stacks in my signature for a couple months. Will eventually upgrade some components. 

I suspect the next step up is a big one in terms of money, but a small one in terms of diminishing returns. I would probably not go the DX100 ZX1 standalone route. I would upgrade separates. Apparently candidates include D1, D2, The Analog DAC, and for amps the Triad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back