Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Jul 21, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #2,416 of 2,566
Thanks SilverEars for your impressions. I love my SE5U, it's a very refined tuning with great transparency and versatility. Concerning the impedance, I'm sure it's a high impedance CIEM for many reasons as the sound signature doesn't change depending the output impedance of the source, plus the hiss are absolutely inexistant on bad output.
Nevertheless, and despite a very natural tone and a great resolution, I think the SE5U are a kind of melancholic CIEM compared to my others TOTL like the ACS Encore and especially the EarSonics customs which have a very exciting sound signature.

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #2,417 of 2,566
Update:

I finally realized why I hear variance in the sound over a listening period. During the listening period, I have taken the monitors out and back in several times, and sound can change depending how well it's fitted inside your ear, and must have had variance in fittings with several times I've pulled them out and put them back in. This is likely to occur due to the material of the customs(silicone, and perhaps I may have gotten a tighter fit than usual). This confirms my earlier statements. If not fitted well, you can lose some higher frequencies, and can sound a bit muffled or upper mids can come off more recessed than should be. So, a better fit will help output more tonality depth and clarity(creating some forwardness to the sound, and the degree of it depending on recording, without the sparkliness). Since other CIEMs I've tried were acrylic, this is something new to me(and wasn't expecting this for custom monitors) with silicon material customs(well atleast the SE5U thus far).

Above may explain my initial impressions of monitors, and the perception of improvements or brain burn-ins over time(may have been due to change in fit).

Also, as you use them more and more, the silicone surface gets slicker, and this will help in getting a easier and better fit over time I think, since it get's easier slide it into your ear when the silicone is smoother.

SE5U does present a wide sense of space, so in other words perception of sound stage feels wide. UERM is more intimate in feel of space.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #2,418 of 2,566
Today I was listening for 3 hour's and comparing se5ult with my wm1z and nwz x1061 ...
Nwz x1061 its no volume limit i was listening at the volume 29 / 30
Wm1z uncapped 99/120 SE
Nwz x1061+ se5ult amazing performance, melancholic , adictive ,wide sense of space ,great depth soundstage, beautiful natural ton of music and vocals 9.5/10
Wm1z more clear ,les bass quantity vs x1061, beautiful natural ton of music ,great vocals . This combo wm1z + se5ult is not so engaging vs x1061 ..Wm1z+se5ult 8.5/10
In my opinion x1061+ se5ult it's an epic combo...

I did not have the opportunity to check wm1z +se5ult with balanced

Jul 23, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #2,419 of 2,566
Today I was listening for 3 hour's and comparing se5ult with my wm1z and nwz x1061 ...
Nwz x1061 its no volume limit i was listening at the volume 29 / 30
Wm1z uncapped 99/120 SE
Nwz x1061+ se5ult amazing performance, melancholic , adictive ,wide sense of space ,great depth soundstage, beautiful natural ton of music and vocals 9.5/10
Wm1z more clear ,les bass quantity vs x1061, beautiful natural ton of music ,great vocals . This combo wm1z + se5ult is not so engaging vs x1061 ..Wm1z+se5ult 8.5/10
In my opinion x1061+ se5ult it's an epic combo...

I did not have the opportunity to check wm1z +se5ult with balanced
have you received the piano forte x-g ? please check your pm

Jul 24, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #2,420 of 2,566
Chord Mojo is a perfect pairing. Mids are a bit finicky with sources. Perhaps mine isn't tuned precisely or not a preferred tune(the mids is weird, it's got an echo sounding affect and a bit too smooth). Anybody get this as well? Just realized I'm a mids head. Precise mids are really difficult find.

No denying Mojo is a great source!

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #2,422 of 2,566
Ok, SE5U seems to like AK100ii as well. Mojo and 100ii have different sounds, and can't say which is better. Definately hates ODC/O2 combo. And also my snapdragon galaxy s8.
Mojo is clearly better. It has the better definition(sounds most realistic), but Ak100ii outputs details in a nice smooth way, and like the tight bass.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #2,423 of 2,566
Chord Mojo is a perfect pairing. Mids are a bit finicky with sources. Perhaps mine isn't tuned precisely or not a preferred tune(the mids is weird, it's got an echo sounding affect and a bit too smooth). Anybody get this as well? Just realized I'm a mids head. Precise mids are really difficult find.

No denying Mojo is a great source!

Yea that's what I was describing a few posts up. It has like a shouty/megaphonic upper midrange.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #2,424 of 2,566
Yea that's what I was describing a few posts up. It has like a shouty/megaphonic upper midrange.
With some sources and recordings it does that noticeably. For some reason it pairs really well with Mojo in regards to this.

What are you favorite sources?

Can you compare your Schiit Mjolnir 2 / Yggdrasil setup with Mojo? What's so special about the Schiit as a source?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #2,425 of 2,566
With some sources and recordings it does that noticeably. For some reason it pairs really well with Mojo in regards to this.

Can you compare your Schiit Mjolnir 2 / Yggdrasil setup with Mojo? What's so special about the Schiit as a source?
That Yiggy alone blew Mojo out of the water.....it's not a fair game, you can't compare the world top dac to an overhyped dac

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #2,426 of 2,566
That Yiggy alone blew Mojo out of the water.....it's not a fair game, you can't compare the world top dac to an overhyped dac
I don't find Mojo hyped at all. I think with the right IEM, it can pair well and can sound very realistic with the right track.

Man, the SE5U is the most difficult headphones I've ever analyzed(besides the HD800). So it turns out, Mojo isn't really the better pairing than the AK100ii. AK100ii does better with certain tracks, and it's upper bass makes it pretty dynamic source. Mojo on the other hand can make vocals sound very realistic. It's SE5U's fault. Hard to understand what is going on with the SE5U. I think you have to try several different types of tracks to really compare the source on the SE5U as the SE5U reacts differently to different tracks and sources. Never ran into such inconsistent headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #2,427 of 2,566

The Mojo is a very good pairing with SE5U. Got the Mojo after using the Sony zx2 for awhile, not much improvement, a bit less bass but more air and not as dry sounding in the highs. Onkyo X1 in balanced was a little bit too warm for me.

My Yggdrasil is getting upgraded at the moment so i will compare them better when i get it back. But going from the mj2/yggy back to any other of my sources make the SE5U sound small and 2-dimensional in comparison.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #2,428 of 2,566
Woud you guys consider SE5U end game? and would choose it over HD800?

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #2,429 of 2,566
Woud you guys consider SE5U end game? and would choose it over HD800?

I would consider them endgame for sure, at least for now. But I have not heard the super expensive 64 audio new flagships.

HD800 is not the same type of sound signature so it's hard to compare. It is more like an LCD 3f than an HD800, and I would choose SE5U over my LCD 3 fazor. HD800 is bright and analytical, SE5U is smooth and organic.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2,430 of 2,566
I would consider them endgame for sure, at least for now. But I have not heard the super expensive 64 audio new flagships.

HD800 is not the same type of sound signature so it's hard to compare. It is more like an LCD 3f than an HD800, and I would choose SE5U over my LCD 3 fazor. HD800 is bright and analytical, SE5U is smooth and organic.
I have heard 64 U18 and tia fourte for 1 week. They are on HD800 side, not that of LCD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back