Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Aug 12, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #2,387 of 2,566
Aug 12, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #2,388 of 2,566
High end (IEM) cable thread has a lot of info on cables.

Thanks, but like @LookingforIEMs pointed out, those cables seem expensive. I am trying to keep it under $150 as the Shipping+Duty itself is going to cost me $250 extra.

And also, from what I understand, it seems that synergy is important when it comes to cables. So was hoping to see some recommendations that were tried and tested by the SE5 Ult owners.

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #2,389 of 2,566
Thanks, but like @LookingforIEMs pointed out, those cables seem expensive. I am trying to keep it under $150 as the Shipping+Duty itself is going to cost me $250 extra.

And also, from what I understand, it seems that synergy is important when it comes to cables. So was hoping to see some recommendations that were tried and tested by the SE5 Ult owners.
OK bud. That thread was created by two owners of the 5 Way.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #2,390 of 2,566
OK bud. That thread was created by two owners of the 5 Way.

Yea, I am waiting on Nic to receive his SE5 (when I was messaging him a couple of days back, he hadn't received it yet) so that I can get his input/recommendations. Mike owns the Ref version of the SE5.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #2,391 of 2,566
Yea, I am waiting on Nic to receive his SE5 (when I was messaging him a couple of days back, he hadn't received it yet) so that I can get his input/recommendations. Mike owns the Ref version of the SE5.
There you go, they can help. When I had a pair I didnt try cables but now I certainly do. Good luck with your quest.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #2,392 of 2,566
Thanks. Yep they sure can. But I am also trying to have multiple options. Interested to see some recommendations here for under $150.

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #2,393 of 2,566
noticed something in the Headphone/CIEM classifieds, this evening, which might be of interest to someone reading this thread (unconnected to me - just saw it, randomly)

Nov 9, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #2,395 of 2,566

Received my se5 ult today. Just wondering since I've read good things about how they have perfect finish and build. Is this normal?
you should get a free upgrade cable !☺

Feb 19, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #2,399 of 2,566
  I haven't heard of JH Layla. So I can't give opinions on that.  

For the other three, I have sold Roxanne and K10. So I guess that says something :)

Roxanne is IMO a technically better option than K10. But K10's sound signature is more balanced and easier on the ears. 

SE5 way ultimate is on par with the other two with a more natural, realistic sounding. In contrast to SE5 ref, ult has more depth, and better instruments focus. But the overall brightness is similar, depending on the songs you choose, sometimes ult is brighter, sometimes REF is brighter. The lower end of ult is slightly more forward compared to ref, specially in the lower mid region (200- 1000 Hz). I still think ref offers a vocal presentation like nothing else, with the smoothness and liquidity. ult is great with vocals too, but it can get a little bit dry on the wrong source. 

I realized you didn't want a comparison between ref and ult. :) But hope it helps too.

Haven't share this for a long time :p

seeing your NT6+Hybrid scores makes me feel good and tames my upgraditis about getting a se5 ult

wow my NT6 trumps the ''it must be the better ciem here cause it has 25 5-star reviews'' K10

very helpful table , always nice to see someone who has heard a TOTL ciem or 2 

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #2,400 of 2,566
Like I told you on TN, once you go down the rabbit hole...well it is over. At first you tell yourself you need only one iem, good enough. Then you need one, but the best there is. Then you need one custom and one universal. Then another custom for your different moods. Then another custom that has better synergy with your other DAP. Then just this new Japanese universal because there are only 200 of them (Kaede and Lab 1 anyone?). Then your favorite brand comes out with a breakthrough technology. And then your wife leaves you and you only have this left in life so you stop making excuses and just buy everything.

My wife is still here but she's awesome, so do not take her as a reference.

So in the end...do not go there....well unless it's for the SE5 of course...that one is just too awesome
biggrin.gif

so much wisdom. so much truth. and so funny.

brilliant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back