Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Oct 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #1,486 of 2,566
Lee seems to say the Rocoo BA from HSA sounds wonderful with the SE5 and I trust his judgment. This could be a good first option for you as it is very cheap.

I talked with Lee, he said his Studio's are wonderful with SE5way but despite everything is cool with that little long battery life player, lack of high resolution support prevents me from buying it. If it was supporting 24/192 or at least 24/96 in FLAC, I would already bought it. UI is good enough for me actually. I always use folder view for playing my music, so it's UI is not a problem for me.

Honestly, I didn't even know he has Rocoo BA too as well. We only discussed about Studio. I believe its 3rd Anniversary Edition of Studio's.

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #1,487 of 2,566
I talked with Lee, he said his Studio's are wonderful with SE5way but despite everything is cool with that little long battery life player, lack of high resolution support prevents me from buying it. If it was supporting 24/192 or at least 24/96 in FLAC, I would already bought it. UI is good enough for me actually. I always use folder view for playing my music, so it's UI is not a problem for me.

Honestly, I didn't even know he has Rocoo BA too as well. We only discussed about Studio. I believe its 3rd Anniversary Edition of Studio's.
Do you have that much high res? Because honestly I find not that much is available.

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #1,488 of 2,566
  I still have some doubts about that unit. Apparently its output impedance is 3 or something like that not less than 1 as stated at iBasso's website. Also the quality seems to be changing by user to user. Some users have perfect experience some others have hiss and a lot of software or hardware related problems. I had very high hopes about that product but I feel like it still needs to be improved.

Again, for that price, its one of the best price/performance units around. However, I myself want to see FiiO X5 before purchasing something. Also Sony's new coming ZX1 seems to be a top range product but I am afraid it will be Japan only device. Maybe Sony has plans to build another audiophile level dap for worldwide market (I hope). Or if all else fails, one can import through pricejapan.com or something.

True, however, that output impedance is still very low. Following the rule of eight any headphones with >24 ohm impedance will not have any issues. So anyone on this thread should be safe.
And I'm curious about the hiss also, I'll let you know if there is any! If I end up disliking it, and I can't get a refund, I'll just sell them. Since I got a €50 discount I shouldn't lose too much money.

Oct 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #1,489 of 2,566

True, however, that output impedance is still very low. Following the rule of eight any headphones with >24 ohm impedance will not have any issues. So anyone on this thread should be safe.
And I'm curious about the hiss also, I'll let you know if there is any! If I end up disliking it, and I can't get a refund, I'll just sell them. Since I got a €50 discount I shouldn't lose too much money.

Well, I do wish that you will end up in the lucky half. SE5way users should be okay, as Gavin also reported, the combo is quite remarkable apparently.

I heard that Cosmic Ears also don't make very sensitive ciems, so most probably you will be just fine too. Phil apparently makes them slightly more power hungry than, let's say average ciem.
Do you have that much high res? Because honestly I find not that much is available.

Most of my flacs are 16 bit, true, but some of my most valuable collection (The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Daft Punk etc) is 24/96 and very very few of them are 24/192. So is it the end of the world if my player doesn't play them? Actually no, but when I get a device, I want to be able to play any of my files without a problem honestly. I will have one player to play everything, not for one on to go and one for office/home type user.

I don't want to best player in the world or dsd playback (I don't have any), I want something plays all of my files without a problem and drive my SE5way good enough (not HM901 balanced level but you got my point I guess).

I almost ordered Studio 3rd Anv actually but then I thought, it is better to wait and see what will happen, because many new products are coming and some of them really provides wonderful price/performance ratio. I am not in a hurry, I got one of the best ciems right now, I don't want to make a quick decision afterwards, since I don't have luxury to try every player and sell if I don't like them.

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #1,490 of 2,566

True, but 2014 is going to bring an absolute avalanche of Hi-Rez content.

Neil Young is claiming to have licensing deals in the works, for Hi-Rez releases of Sony, Universal, and Warner Music labels.

Sony are pushing on both hardware and content fronts.

Just wait and see - 2014 is going to be big for us Head-fiers.

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #1,491 of 2,566

True, but 2014 is going to bring an absolute avalanche of Hi-Rez content.

Neil Young is claiming to have licensing deals in the works, for Hi-Rez releases of Sony, Universal, and Warner Music labels.

Sony are pushing on both hardware and content fronts.

Just wait and see - 2014 is going to be big for us Head-fiers.

That's what I am doing. Waiting
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #1,492 of 2,566

I have well over 800 GBs worth of hi-resolution music. Although most of my music listening is still with 16/44 music. :) The Rocoo BA pairs very well on the 1Plus2, SE5 and Flat 4 Sui. It's quickly becoming my go to DAP.

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #1,496 of 2,566
I have well over 800 GBs worth of hi-resolution music. Although most of my music listening is still with 16/44 music. :) The Rocoo BA pairs very well on the 1Plus2, SE5 and Flat 4 Sui. It's quickly becoming my go to DAP.
800g...did tou really listen to all of it? Because I have 170g of music and barely have time to listen to 1/10th of it.

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #1,497 of 2,566
800g...did tou really listen to all of it? Because I have 170g of music and barely have time to listen to 1/10th of it.

Of course not. But it is there for me to listen to when I want :). I have over 930 GBs of 16/44 music of which I have not listened to it all. But it is there for me to listen to when I want. With the AK120 I would be able to carry all my on the go music with me using 192 GBs of storage. But I don't do it because I found using the higher capacity cards to sacrifice on the sound quality. Basically 32 GB cards are enough. I can swap them out from time to time. No biggy. As you said it's not like I'd listen to all that music in one sitting anyways and that even goes for 32 GB cards.

Oct 6, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #1,498 of 2,566

I have around 300gb of music but I haven't listened all of them either, they are there for me to listen to. Whatever my mood demands, I find something in the folder.

I would like to have them with me all the time too, but I know for the moment it is quite a dream. So as much as possible is a reasonable wish. I think 128 gb and over is good enough for the moment.

Btw, Mim, did you preorder NX1 ZX1 (sorry, a letter mistake)? I see it at pricejapan.com too, the price is not so high than X5, maybe I can wait a little longer, save a bit more and go for it. Sony is an old friend from my childhood, if they want to return to audiophile world again, they are more than welcome.

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #1,499 of 2,566

Of course not. But it is there for me to listen to when I want :). I have over 930 GBs of 16/44 music of which I have not listened to it all. But it is there for me to listen to when I want. With the AK120 I would be able to carry all my on the go music with me using 192 GBs of storage. But I don't do it because I found using the higher capacity cards to sacrifice on the sound quality. Basically 32 GB cards are enough. I can swap them out from time to time. No biggy. As you said it's not like I'd listen to all that music in one sitting anyways and that even goes for 32 GB cards.

My god man, if all your songs were mp3s, I wouldn't be surprised if you hold all the music ever created 0.o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back