[REVIEW]: SoundMAGIC HP100 - The Natural All-Rounder Headphone
May 1, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #62 of 89
Do you recommend these still after some more time has passed? because I got them shipping from a very kind member of the head-fi community for a very generous price. I wanted to ask some more about them to get an idea of how they hold up and what you think other headphones of similar quality are compared to these? Any feedback is appreciated, and great review.

May 1, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #63 of 89
Do you recommend these still after some more time has passed? because I got them shipping from a very kind member of the head-fi community for a very generous price. I wanted to ask some more about them to get an idea of how they hold up and what you think other headphones of similar quality are compared to these? Any feedback is appreciated, and great review.

Yes, I'd still love to recommend these after owning them for sometime.

They do hold up rather well, and I sadly, I don't have anything to compare to them as of now, but all I can say is, the build is still sturdy as it was on day one, and the sound seems to have gotten a bit more smoother, but I can't 100% vouch for this since it could have just been too long, and I might have not remembered the initial sound.

May 1, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #64 of 89
Yes, I'd still love to recommend these after owning them for sometime.

They do hold up rather well, and I sadly, I don't have anything to compare to them as of now, but all I can say is, the build is still sturdy as it was on day one, and the sound seems to have gotten a bit more smoother, but I can't 100% vouch for this since it could have just been too long, and I might have not remembered the initial sound.

lol, the last part is okay I am just excited to get a pair, I really want to try the HP200 and get a pair of those afterwards when my leg is healed up and I am able to go back to work. I will have a closed pair that I enjoy(hopefully, will find out Saturday) and an open pair. I also want to invest in a portable amp/dace to use these with that is not too expensive. Something 100$ and under that would work okay with my S3, and if you have any recommendations for that price range I would like to hear about it. Since I am relatively new to audiophile quality I am very open to suggestions and recommendations that I can afford.

May 2, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #65 of 89
  lol, the last part is okay I am just excited to get a pair, I really want to try the HP200 and get a pair of those afterwards when my leg is healed up and I am able to go back to work. I will have a closed pair that I enjoy(hopefully, will find out Saturday) and an open pair. I also want to invest in a portable amp/dace to use these with that is not too expensive. Something 100$ and under that would work okay with my S3, and if you have any recommendations for that price range I would like to hear about it. Since I am relatively new to audiophile quality I am very open to suggestions and recommendations that I can afford.

Yeah, the HP100 and 200 should do well for first-time starter headphones, especially the HP200's.

As for an amp to run, I would suggest the C&C BH, which can be found on eBay (Here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-C-BH-Portable-Headphone-AMP-battery-AMP-CC-BH-NEW-/261172737290?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item3ccf1bb50a), as it is a high performer for around the price range of $100. There is also a thread around here with a lot of positive impressions to be found.  

May 2, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #66 of 89
  Yeah, the HP100 and 200 should do well for first-time starter headphones, especially the HP200's.

As for an amp to run, I would suggest the C&C BH, which can be found on eBay (Here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-C-BH-Portable-Headphone-AMP-battery-AMP-CC-BH-NEW-/261172737290?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item3ccf1bb50a), as it is a high performer for around the price range of $100. There is also a thread around here with a lot of positive impressions to be found.  Oka

Okay that is goood to know because that is one of the ones I was looking at currently and I was really hoping I would be able to get one sooner than later. Thanks for the replies and I wanted to see if possibly the DT pads would work with this headphones? because that way if it did not sound right I could just replace the original ones until I can find ones that sound right with this headphone. Tracking is saying it will be here on Saturday of this weekend so you can imagine that I am very excited.

May 2, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #67 of 89
  Okay that is goood to know because that is one of the ones I was looking at currently and I was really hoping I would be able to get one sooner than later. Thanks for the replies and I wanted to see if possibly the DT pads would work with this headphones? because that way if it did not sound right I could just replace the original ones until I can find ones that sound right with this headphone. Tracking is saying it will be here on Saturday of this weekend so you can imagine that I am very excited.

Yeah, DT pads will fit, although to recommend it or not, is not something I can confirm for you. I haven't tried the DT velour pads with my HP100 as yet, but when I did with the HP200, it became so bright and thin sounding that I couldn't handle it. Just to add, I'm a big fan of bright sound as well, so I hope that says something. 

May 2, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #68 of 89
  Yeah, DT pads will fit, although to recommend it or not, is not something I can confirm for you. I haven't tried the DT velour pads with my HP100 as yet, but when I did with the HP200, it became so bright and thin sounding that I couldn't handle it. Just to add, I'm a big fan of bright sound as well, so I hope that says something. 

Yeah I can understand what you are saying. What would be some pads you would recommend that does not damage the sound quality? and may a bit more comfortable than these ? something like the pads from alpha dogs? or any other suggestions. and I might be find with the stock ones this is just in case. I am definitely going to look into the C and C bh2 when I have the money.

May 2, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #69 of 89
  Yeah I can understand what you are saying. What would be some pads you would recommend that does not damage the sound quality? and may a bit more comfortable than these ? something like the pads from alpha dogs? or any other suggestions. and I might be find with the stock ones this is just in case. I am definitely going to look into the C and C bh2 when I have the money.

Hmmm, I'm not too sure about the change of pads not affecting the sound quality, as all pads will alter it in the slightest.. I guess for comfort, I'd go with my currently pad mod for them, which is to overlap a Brainwavz HM5 pad on top of the stock pads for more depth (so your ears don't come into contact with the drivers). This mod doesn't really alter the sound that much, although by the time you apply the new pads, you would have briefly forgot what it had originally sounded like to start off with (as this mod requires around 30 minutes to an hour to apply due to amount of elbow-grease required). 

May 2, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #70 of 89
I just got mine today.  Wow, so far they sound very impressive.  The soundstage is quite large for a closed headphone.  Tonality is right up my alley too with very good extension on both ends and a natural sounding midrange.  I even like the form factor as these look very compact when worn and are fairly comfortable.  I do wish the pads are a bit deeper.  It even comes with a very nice carrying case.

May 23, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #72 of 89
I just got mine after a month long wait...(was literally on the slow boat from China methinks)
blink.gif

Well Fresh out of the box and man these cans are great...

I also just got my Sennheiser HD800's as well (1 week earlier) and for some reason the HD800's are sitting in the corner as I'm typing this and the HP100's are busy at work! If I didn't already have a balanced cable coming I would actually consider sending the HD800's back!!! I bought the HP100's to use in my noisy office environment - I already have the AKG 550's @ work and thought for $150 why not get the HP100's as well...I was so impressed at work listening with my FIIO E17/E09K setup I couldn't resist bringing them home to hear how they sound connected to my other dacs... I mean these aren't even broken in and I'm soooo impressed... I might have to buy another pair for the office - these might stay home to help filter out my next door neighbors summer barbecue parties... Damn these are Good!!! I'm staring at my Audeze LCD rev2.2 my HD 650's
my HD 800's and my Grado PS500's and wondering... Could my ears be deceiving me??? Is it Magic???No!!! Hell No!!! It's it's...

The SoundMAGIC HP100's Baby!!!!!

I'm powering the HP100's via my hp pavilion dv7 core i7->JRiver MC19->Teac UD-H01

The Teac UD-H01 was only $250 (free Shipping no Tax) www.crutchfield.com 

​$250 (Teac UD-H01) + $150 (SM HP100's) = Priceless!!!!

A Big Shout out to SkyBleu for the Front Page Review that prompted me to buy the HP100's - Bravo!!!!!

Peace....
L3000.gif

May 23, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #73 of 89
  I just got mine after a month long wait...(was literally on the slow boat from China methinks)
blink.gif

I also just got my Sennheiser HD800's as well (1 week earlier) and for some reason the HD800's are sitting in the corner as I'm typing this and the HP100's are busy at work! If I didn't already have a balanced cable coming I would actually consider sending the HD800's back!!! I bought the HP100's to use in my noisy office environment - I already have the AKG 550's @ work and thought for $150 why not get the HP100's as well...I was so impressed at work listening with my FIIO E17/E09K setup I couldn't resist bringing them home to hear how they sound connected to my other dacs... I mean these aren't even broken in and I'm soooo impressed... I might have to buy another pair for the office - these might stay home to help filter out my next door neighbors summer barbecue parties... Damn these are Good!!! I'm staring at my Audeze LCD rev2.2 my HD 650's
my HD 800's and my Grado PS500's and wondering... Could my ears be deceiving me??? Is it Magic???No!!! Hell No!!! It's it's...

I'm powering the HP100's via my hp pavilion dv7 core i7->JRiver MC19->Teac UD-H01

A Big Shout out to SkyBleu for the Front Page Review that prompted me to buy the HP100's - Bravo!!!!!

Peace....
L3000.gif

Thanks, and very nice, mate. Glad to know they're rocking your socks off! 
biggrin.gif

Wait until they break-in! I wasn't much a believer of burn-in back then, but after using a few pieces of equipment, I've soon to learn that sound does sometimes become more refined over time. Especially with the HP100. I was pretty neutral with it at first, but then after excessive use over a couple of weeks, it really started to open up to me. 
smily_headphones1.gif

That DAC looks pretty interesting, I wonder if it acts as a headphone amp as well?

May 23, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #74 of 89
blink.gif

Peace....
L3000.gif

I really like your first impressions. I would have to say as far as a closed can goes that is relatively neutral except with a slight bringtness up top  with fantastically tightened lows being very accurate and never over done. Not to mention the mids in this set really shine to me for both vocals and instrumentals, and even though I prefer open headphones I would have to say this is indeed as equal too or better than some open headphones that are in a higher price bracket. I appreciated your impressions and opinions because as other members have said this headphones(especially for being their first over the ear phone are phenomenally put together.) Also I am desperately hoping to find the HP200 come down in price or find them used because I heard sound is similar to HP100 in someways and taking the good and only improving the sound stage and toning down some of the brightness of the Treble. Honestly I do not own many headphones at all and I am newer to the audiophile world and community(have been out of sorts with music for a while and working on mechanical keyboards) but I have had a chance to listen to a decent amount of nice quality headphones. This one is the best closed can under 350$ that I have heard. I cannot wait to get the hP200 when I am able to work again. 

Wanted to ask if this sounds good with the E17? because I know the E17 is compatible with the S3 phone and I am looking for a decent DAC for that combo.

May 23, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #75 of 89
Just an update, I'm going to grab some Shure SRH1540 Alcantara ear pads to use on the HP200's as another member suggested. Looking forward to good results, and I'll report back with my impressions of that combo. :) 

I may try them with the HP100 too if I feel like it could do them some more justice. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back