[REVIEW]: SoundMAGIC HP100 - The Natural All-Rounder Headphone
Apr 13, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #31 of 89
How are the pads attached to the headphone? I ordered one but I might get velour or angled pads like the Beyer or NVX pads.

I'd personally get angled pleather or leather pads. I didn't find the Bayer velour pads to do that great on my HP200's. It made the sound overly bright and thin sounding.

They attach just like any other pad, by looping the pad over an outer rim of the headphone. There's no fancy click-in mechanics or plastic discs required.

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #32 of 89
How are the pads attached to the headphone? I ordered one but I might get velour or angled pads like the Beyer or NVX pads.

Just like every other non-exotic phone out there. I dunno what's the name of the mechanism.

I think velour will make the phone too bright but angled pad is interesting.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #33 of 89
I bought a pair of the HP100 about 3 months ago and I have VERY happy with them.
My other headphones are the Denon AH-D5000 which I love to but I was always afraid I would end up breaking them having them by carrying them around every day so I wanted to get something cheaper but still sounded good.
For the price, the HP100 are incredible.  They produce a lovely neutral sound and can handle whatever kind of music you throw at them from any source.  
Very impressive.  Thanks for the review by the way :)

Apr 16, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #34 of 89
  I bought a pair of the HP100 about 3 months ago and I have VERY happy with them.
My other headphones are the Denon AH-D5000 which I love to but I was always afraid I would end up breaking them having them by carrying them around every day so I wanted to get something cheaper but still sounded good.
For the price, the HP100 are incredible.  They produce a lovely neutral sound and can handle whatever kind of music you throw at them from any source.  
Very impressive.  Thanks for the review by the way :)

No worries. How do you find the HP100 to the D5000? Any comparisons for us? :wink:

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #35 of 89
  No worries. How do you find the HP100 to the D5000? Any comparisons for us? :wink:

To be honest there is very little between them.  I would say the D5000 are have a slightly warmer sound to them where the HP100 sound a little more crisp and neutral. But it is very close between them.  Isolation is better on the HP100. Put it this way, I have had the D5000 for about 5yrs now and was using them daily for all that time.  When switched to the HP100 a few months ago I didn't miss my D5000 at all.
They both handle any kind of music with ease without the need to make adjustments with EQ.
The build quality of the D5000 is better, understandable considering they cost me £400 compared to £150 for the HP100.
I would 100% recommend the HP100 to anyone. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #36 of 89
To be honest there is very little between them.  I would say the D5000 are have a slightly warmer sound to them where the HP100 sound a little more crisp and neutral. But it is very close between them.  Isolation is better on the HP100. Put it this way, I have had the D5000 for about 5yrs now and was using them daily for all that time.  When switched to the HP100 a few months ago I didn't miss my D5000 at all.
They both handle any kind of music with ease without the need to make adjustments with EQ.
The build quality of the D5000 is better, understandable considering they cost me £400 compared to £150 for the HP100.
I would 100% recommend the HP100 to anyone. 

Nicely compared. I used to want a pair of Dx000's, but after reading a multitude of opinions and impressions, I didn't really desire them as much anymore. After reading this, this confirms it for me. :)

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #37 of 89
Nicely compared. I used to want a pair of Dx000's, but after reading a multitude of opinions and impressions, I didn't really desire them as much anymore. After reading this, this confirms it for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

The D5000 & D7000 were and still are amazing headphones but companies like Soundmagic have learnt the art of producing great sounding headphones for a reasonable price.

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #38 of 89
Hey Sky!  I just read the message, I'll get back to you about an ATH M50 Comparison. I have a question though regarding these headphones, did you test it with an amp / dac by chance? If so which one, im thinking of getting a new amp and I was curious which one would sound best with the HP100's! Any help is appreciated.

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #39 of 89
Hey Sky!  I just read the message, I'll get back to you about an ATH M50 Comparison. I have a question though regarding these headphones, did you test it with an amp / dac by chance? If so which one, im thinking of getting a new amp and I was curious which one would sound best with the HP100's! Any help is appreciated.

Hey mate, the comparison isn't necessary. It was just an option for other Head-Fi'ers to see how they compare, but I'm in no way going to force you to do it. :)

I didn't teat it with a DAC/amp but I did use it through an amp, the Neco Soundlabs Portable V4. Very great amp with opamp rolling capabilities and a lot of power for a portable!

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #40 of 89

actually I can comment on this

I dont have a D5000 I have a very modded D2000 [which might as well be a D5k considering the wood cups on it, recable, the lawton pads ect...ect...]

Anyways, the Sub Bass and highs of the MD/AD something D2k are better, the soundstage and overall level of detail a a step up. The D2k after many mods is really my favorite closed back bass can! I do like it ALOT

Non the less where the D2k falls shorts is the mids, I remember the HP100 had such smoooth clear mids, it sounded wonderful with vocals. The D2k has teh clairty but not the body and slight touch of decay of the mids

Now the Audio Technica W1000x [Purrin mod +L3000 Pads] is for me a clear upgrade to the HP 100, I sold my hp 100 and deicded to keep my W1000x as my primary travel headphone! 

Still for the money the Hp 100 is really an asesome headphone! I have very fond memories of it :3 and some cool pics of it on my blog! 

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #41 of 89
Very much appreciate your comparison! :D

Thanks, Mshenay.

Maybe, hopefully, someone can start up a wooden mod for the HP100 to give it potential to take its acoustic chamber up a notch. :)

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #45 of 89

I heard these and tested them with a Cowon and an e12. BBE+8 Mach3Bass+8 5 Band EQ flat.

That is not a proper way to test anything, IMO. Cranking up the BBE and Mach3Bass that high totally ruins colors the sound. A little bit of Mach3Bass is all well and good, in non-testing conditions, but BBE is awful and unnatural, especially cranked up to +8. 

Nice review SkyBleu! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back