[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Dec 20, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #1,516 of 3,824
I got my MH1c today and all I can say is these sound fantastic for $34. They lean towards bassy, but I like it. I'm using these from my iPhone. I read previous posts stating that these require more power than other IEMs to get to normal listening levels, but from my iPhone I think they get plenty loud. One problem I have is I think they put the cord on backwards. I don't mind the J cord. But I think the splitter on mine has been put on wrong.

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #1,517 of 3,824
Lol same thing I said. Well, I said "upside down" I think. When you hold both earphones up the split does kinda point downwards, especially when compared to other j-cords I've used.

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #1,518 of 3,824
That's what I did. If you hold up the part of the cord with the plug on it and then hold up one of the earphones, the splitter looks fine. I wonder if this is a manufacturing mistake. I can't see anyone actually designing the splitter like this on purpose lol.

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #1,520 of 3,824
That's one nice thing about J cords, but weather you run the cord in front or in back the splitter is still sideways and with the rubbery wire it make it worse. My XBA-1s J cord has the splitter facing down instead of sideways. I think that's how they should have made this one.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #1,521 of 3,824
After hearing the rave reviews for these, I purchased a pair. I have very little experience with IEM, but they did sound good when I listened to them. I bought them essentially for gym use, and it created the impression like it would work since they were built sturdy. Unfortunately on the 5th day of use, one of the buds died (can faintly hear the song coming out of it). Also about 20 minutes into the run on multiple occasions, the songs started skipping/resetting/etc. Not sure what the deal with that was either. It's too bad that these replacement pieces don't have a warranty, but needless to say I ordered another pair. I am reluctant to use it for working out again though, although I really needed a pair for that. Any ideas what happened to the "dead" bud and whether it is fixable? Thanks for any input.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #1,522 of 3,824
Quote:
Well my MH1c CTIA version arrived today. First impressions are that its significantly bassier than the MH1 livesound version, however if it follows the trend of the livesound that should settle down a lot after 48 hours of burn in or so. Here are some pretty pics.

The Livesound and the CTIA version have different filters. with the CTIA on the right having a pair of rather cheaper looking and thicker filters. Not sure how this affects sound though.

I just ordered the Sony MH1.

Should I have ordered the MH1C?

It seems that there's more difference than phone compatibility; could someone who have tested both please clarify like whether the MH1C sounds better and so on?

In other news, I also ordered a Soundmagic E10 and a fake Sennheiser IE8 and will compare their sound quality to my humble collection of authentic Sennheiser CX 300, CXL 400, and CX 870.

The Sennheiser CXL400 is the best earphones I've ever had but it's already discontinued and I don't know which model Sennheiser replaced it with.

I'm new here at head-fi and my budget only allows me an experimental adventure with sub $50 headphones.

Also, does anyone of you have experience with Klipsch S4 and Soundmagic E10?

Thank you!

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #1,523 of 3,824
Quote:
After hearing the rave reviews for these, I purchased a pair. I have very little experience with IEM, but they did sound good when I listened to them. I bought them essentially for gym use, and it created the impression like it would work since they were built sturdy. Unfortunately on the 5th day of use, one of the buds died (can faintly hear the song coming out of it). Also about 20 minutes into the run on multiple occasions, the songs started skipping/resetting/etc. Not sure what the deal with that was either. It's too bad that these replacement pieces don't have a warranty, but needless to say I ordered another pair. I am reluctant to use it for working out again though, although I really needed a pair for that. Any ideas what happened to the "dead" bud and whether it is fixable? Thanks for any input.

You probably got sweat in  the remote 'box'. Basically same thing happened to my Hf3's I can't use them for exercise for that reason. I'm "forced" to use cheapies or my customs (first world problems I know). I wouldn't be surprised if the dead bud is related to the remote as well. It could simply need to "dry out". I assume it's still doing that though ? Dynamics are usually less susceptible to sweat in my experience. Phones with short nozzles like the Westone 3 shorted out on my temporarily. 
I'd find something without the remote for working out. 

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #1,524 of 3,824
Quote:
whats the cost of buying these from ebay and shipping them to Toronto Canada? I'm really interested in these,but kinda scared of customs fees :$ http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Sony-MH1C-Headset-Earphones-w-SmartKey-Android-Control-Bulk-Pack-Black-/130709395457

Nothing to fear.  I ordered from China when it was just over $20 and wasn't charged a thing.  Even if you were it would be very minimal.

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #1,526 of 3,824
Keep Checking they usually come back in pretty quick, the eBay seller is good though too. I got mine from amazon.

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #1,527 of 3,824
You probably got sweat in  the remote 'box'. Basically same thing happened to my Hf3's I can't use them for exercise for that reason. I'm "forced" to use cheapies or my customs (first world problems I know). I wouldn't be surprised if the dead bud is related to the remote as well. It could simply need to "dry out". I assume it's still doing that though ? Dynamics are usually less susceptible to sweat in my experience. Phones with short nozzles like the Westone 3 shorted out on my temporarily. 
I'd find something without the remote for working out. 

Hoping that the "dead" bud will revive, if not, I know not to use it for any gym/activities and just for everyday commuting. Thanks for the recommendation about the M6.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #1,529 of 3,824
Through my unamped iPhone 4 listening to apple lossless files like Areosmiths Crazy and Green Days Brain Stew, these sound very similar. There is more bass on these and it's slightly boomier. The mids and highs are slightly more detailed on the Golds. I'm using the Sony foam filled tips on both. I'm going to see if I can find a guy to fix the splitter on these so it's not sideways. These are very good for the price!

@Zero thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back