[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Dec 2, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #1,353 of 3,824
Quote:
Quote:
It hasn't happened again. I've really been enjoying these MH1. I also find them a lot more comfortable than the V-Sonic, but that's mostly due to the tips. None of the V-Sonic tips fit my ears comfortably. I think I'll get another pair of these Sony's and use those tips on my GR06 since I'm too lazy to replace them everytime I switch IEMs.

Hi,

How would these compare to the GR06? It's one of the IEMs i'm using right now. I haven't bought a IEM in a whopping......5 months! So I thought I might buy these MH1Cs to try out. Currently also looking at the VSonic VC-02, which are also supposedly to be great IEMs, great bang for buck.

I genuinely haven't listened to them on an analytic level. I just use them, sit back and enjoy them. The sound signature is quite similar to the GR06, except maybe slightly more musical. They really make you focus on the music and I love them for it. The Sony tips are also better. I wish they came with 2 pairs of the medium tips so I could use them on the V-Sonics.

Duct tape. :)
I just clip them on the front of my shirt up near the collar and use the largest included tips. No tricks. They work well for me at the gym, too.
Maybe you guys should try the y-mod plus over-the-ear fit.

Over the ear fit? on a flat cable? I cry witchcraft!!! lol
I've been away for a while, I need to catch up on some headfi reading, what page was that?
Thanks for the tip

I've only used them over the ears since I got them. The cable just annoys me too much otherwise. 
tongue.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #1,355 of 3,824
Quote:

Are there any differences (e.g. sound or built quality) between them?

I am curious about this as well. According to ClieOS they sound the same. Rin on the other hands is reporting that the MH1C (Smart Headset) is boosted about 6db in the lower region compared to the MH1 (Livesound). A friend of mine has ordered the MH1, so when he gets it i will be able to compare it with my MH1C. If the MH1 actually has less bass, it's without a doubt the better choice.

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #1,357 of 3,824
Quote:
I am curious about this as well. According to ClieOS they sound the same. Rin on the other hands is reporting that the MH1C (Smart Headset) is boosted about 6db in the lower region compared to the MH1 (Livesound). A friend of mine has ordered the MH1, so when he gets it i will be able to compare it with my MH1C. If the MH1 actually has less bass, it's without a doubt the better choice.

According to others, the main difference in the MH1 and MH1c is simply the compatibility with smart devices and players/computers. I've yet to hear or read from others about there being a difference in tuning with the MH1 and MH1C, in fact I read and heard otherwise, that being they are exactly the same in every way save for the configuration on the input jack (which if I'm not mistaken is the source of the compatibility issues, besides the fact that one is clearly marked with the ericson branding on the housing as opposed to the updated sony branding).

It's also been shared by another fellow on the boards by the name of Joebloggs that a simple EQing of the sound can and will bring out more in these already fun phones. I myself can attest to this as we talked at length about getting more out of them. A program I can share as per recommendation through joe is AIXcoustics plugin for winamp, which is much better than it's standalone EQ.

If I'm uninformed with any of the information I've provided I'm open to criticism but to the best of my knowledge this is all accurate in terms of the differences of the older MH1 and the updated MHC1 as well as lack of difference in the tuning of the sound.

Further more in terms of Rin's review, while I can say I easily don't have any of the insights that man has (with me being much newer to the world of high fidelity music appreciation) I can say that from reading from multiple sources which include not only user review, impressions and data provided by others as well as one of the people responsible for putting this fantastic product out on the market, I would take Rin's review with a grain of salt as one man doesn't speak for all nor does his view/way he personally interprets sound go for all others. Read much and try to get an idea if these will be in your interest, that's all one can do.

To avoid a back and forth in regards to the topic of Rin and his data I leave that for him to discuss, and leave any who feel the need go in depth with who said what, or who shows this. To simply go back and read all that's already provided in the THREE main forums regarding the MH1C. Those being the one started by Clieos in which he offers a in depth review as well as the the one made to introduce SEAD a man who had much to do with the creation of said headphones. I would also advise looking a bit further back on the discovery thread currently headed by Dsnuts in which a lot of people were discussing their impressions and reviews.

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #1,359 of 3,824
Quote:

To be clean, Sead sent me the MW1 (BT headset, which has a shorten version of MH1). Then I ordered a pair of MH1 from U.K. and a pair of MH1C from DealExtreme. Sead later sent me two more pair of MH1C so I can compare them to those I have ordered. They all sounds quite similar after burn-in. I did a equal loudness test (find here) on the shorten MH1, normal MH1 (UK) and a pair of MH1C (Sead), they all come back with close to identical result with +12dB @ 30Hz, referenced to 1kHz. As I have recall, I didn't notice anyone of the 5 pairs is particular bassy than the others.

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #1,360 of 3,824
I've ordered another MH1 (CTIA) to check if a recurring problem with the right channel sound dropping down to 1/3 after a while is related to the type I have (OTMP). Either way, I also plan on modding a pair with a custom TRS cable.

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #1,364 of 3,824
Quote:

To be clean, Sead sent me the MW1 (BT headset, which has a shorten version of MH1). Then I ordered a pair of MH1 from U.K. and a pair of MH1C from DealExtreme. Sead later sent me two more pair of MH1C so I can compare them to those I have ordered. They all sounds quite similar after burn-in. I did a equal loudness test (find here) on the shorten MH1, normal MH1 (UK) and a pair of MH1C (Sead), they all come back with close to identical result with +12dB @ 30Hz, referenced to 1kHz. As I have recall, I didn't notice anyone of the 5 pairs is particular bassy than the others.

Thanks for clarifying this for us mate. 12db over natural is more or less what i hear as well. I would have liked them even more with a delta of 6db to zero at the 30-300hz range (which is the setting i usually go for with my sound card's equalizer). A delta of 10db makes them sound even better but oh well, you can't have everything :). They are still a great value for money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back