[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 21, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #1,142 of 3,824
Quote:
On a side note, if the filters on these got dirty with time (volume suffers or clarity) how would i go about replacing them, where can i get new filters, how do you put them in??

You can't, as there is no replacement filter available. Thus it is a good reason to keep your ear canal and the IEM as clean as possible, as most IEM in the market doesn't have replacement filter you can buy.. However, the filter itself is moisture resistant so it won't get dirty easily.

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #1,144 of 3,824
You guys do realize the other thread ClieOS started on the MW1 comes with a Y-cable version of the MH1?

It really could very well be the ultimate portable rig for the MH1 fan. The bluetooth device accepts a 32GB card (which I highly suspect will also accept the 64GB card if you format it to FAT32 with linux). So it is really a portable audio player with BT function. And you could remove the headphones with a short extension to use them seperately. Less cheap flat cable maybe less microphonics? Plus you get full phone answering capabilities even with the iphone, blackberry, etc.

He mentioned it earlier but I kinda feel like that one is going under the radar. Maybe seems "pricey" but nothing compared in price to an ipod shuffle+headphones with less functionality and less storage.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633873/review-sony-mw1-smart-wireless-headset-pro/15#post_8878859

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #1,145 of 3,824
Quote:
You guys do realize the other thread ClieOS started on the MW1 comes with a Y-cable version of the MH1?
It really could very well be the ultimate portable rig for the MH1 fan. The bluetooth device accepts a 32GB card (which I highly suspect will also accept the 64GB card if you format it to FAT32 with linux). So it is really a portable audio player with BT function. And you could remove the headphones with a short extension to use them seperately. Less cheap flat cable maybe less microphonics? Plus you get full phone answering capabilities even with the iphone, blackberry, etc.
He mentioned it earlier but I kinda feel like that one is going under the radar. Maybe seems "pricey" but nothing compared in price to an ipod shuffle+headphones with less functionality and less storage.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633873/review-sony-mw1-smart-wireless-headset-pro/15#post_8878859

I think it is still a j-cord cable from the looks of these pictures. 

but the cable is indeed much shorter, don't know if that is really a good thing or not though, depends on your preference really.

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #1,147 of 3,824
Quote:
You are right sir. My mistake, I just looked at ClieOS's pics again. It is indeed the J style without the control buttons. Still a neat idea. Too bad about the cable.

Pisssssh, got me excited over nothing, good work doc. 
biggrin.gif
It's not that hard to mod the J style cord into a Y cable but the damn mic/ volume control thing is so bulky and heavy, it is a pain in the @ss that's all.

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #1,148 of 3,824
I recently lost one M eartip from my Sony MH1C, so I'm trying to find new ones, since in these IEMs proper seal is essential (well, since they're using microdrivers, I can't just use smaller spare eartip, hoping that the casing of the earphone will block the noise etc.).
Are Sony EPEX10A Hybrid Replacement Earbuds good enough?
Maybe even they're the same ones? 

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #1,149 of 3,824
Quote:
I recently lost one M eartip from my Sony MH1C, so I'm trying to find new ones, since in these IEMs proper seal is essential (well, since they're using microdrivers, I can't just use smaller spare eartip, hoping that the casing of the earphone will block the noise etc.).
Are Sony EPEX10A Hybrid Replacement Earbuds good enough?
Maybe even they're the same ones? 

Hi Marab, they aren't the same ones, but they are relatives indeed... Besides the outer dimensions (for improved shallow fit) there are some small difference from inside as well. As i mentioned in the MH1 story, even the eartips was considered during the acoustic design... so here below, you'll find the acoustical difference between these two... as you can see MH1 tips do provide some smoother treble response compared to standard hybrids, but are fairly comparable up to 10kHz. 

Nov 22, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #1,150 of 3,824
Wow, thanks for that. Putting aside the difference in sound, it seems like EPEX10A will fit MH1C perfectly, considering almost identical build. So I'll be using those, at least until I get spares with purchase of the MW1 for my xperia phone 
cool.gif

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #1,152 of 3,824
Quote:
MH1Cs on amazon uk (£9) just went out of stock! I feel they're over for good.
frown.gif
are they still in production?

According to Sead: Yes they're still in production (I think it was mentioned in another thread).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back