[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 4, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #543 of 3,824
From what I can say, they sound great without amp.
I think they are doing great with classical as they are detailed and rather balanced

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #545 of 3,824
oh, my mistake then. Must have been confused with all the prices from amazon, ebay and dx
smile.gif

Quote:

I am pretty sure it was $27.70 from the start over at DX. As I have written in the review, it is a 'sub-$30' deal.

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #547 of 3,824
Quote:

Anyway I can help :wink:

But seriously these are fantastic IEM's for $20, I can't think of an IEM under $100 that would sound better.  I don't think they sound better than my e-Q5 or R-50 but there close.

The R-50's are meant to be similar to the fischer dba02mkII, I think actually at a slightly lower level of sound fidelity. Well, this sony in my opinion beats the fischer, but it's a matter of preference. The fischer is just way to weak overall in the bass. Sub bass is simply not there and overall it is just too tame. I'm not a basshead (I have liked the shure 310, re-zero and currently like the phonak 112 with grey filters) though I crave for a full sound. The mids on the dba are amongst the very best I've heard from any headphone, full size or IEM. The highs are great so too is the soundstage BUT the problem is that it is flawed in the bass ranges and this is just too striking. Compound this with the overall thin and brittle feel of the general presentation (not synonymous with a lack of bass- shure 940's and akg k271 both give decent body to notes and lack bass in key areas) and it's hard to live with.
The sony has none such flaw, having fuller notes, less sibilance and in general a more cohesive presentation.

I would put it ahead of the fisher.........but cannot complain if someone judges their preference to be the opposite. 

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #548 of 3,824
Quote:

The R-50's are meant to be similar to the fischer dba02mkII, I think actually at a slightly lower level of sound fidelity. Well, this sony in my opinion beats the fischer, but it's a matter of preference. The fischer is just way to weak overall in the bass. Sub bass is simply not there and overall it is just too tame. I'm not a basshead (I have liked the shure 310, re-zero and currently like the phonak 112 with grey filters) though I crave for a full sound. The mids on the dba are amongst the very best I've heard from any headphone, full size or IEM. The highs are great so too is the soundstage BUT the problem is that it is flawed in the bass ranges and this is just too striking. Compound this with the overall thin and brittle feel of the general presentation (not synonymous with a lack of bass- shure 940's and akg k271 both give decent body to notes and lack bass in key areas) and it's hard to live with.
The sony has none such flaw, having fuller notes, less sibilance and in general a more cohesive presentation.

I would put it ahead of the fisher.........but cannot complain if someone judges their preference to be the opposite. 

Hmm..I have the same opinion, But I cant say perfectly since Techno Kid uses it with an amp and I use ampless. I have heard from R-50 impressions that amp does boost R-50 a lot, but they do the same for MH1C since they are harder to drive than my other IEMs. Overall, I like them both, R-50 and MH1C are both great for their price range, MH1C can NEVER match the build, comfort, isolation and fit of R-50 for me..though comparision of 120$ Vs 20$ will always be an odd one

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #550 of 3,824
Quote:
Hmm..I have the same opinion, But I cant say perfectly since Techno Kid uses it with an amp and I use ampless. I have heard from R-50 impressions that amp does boost R-50 a lot, but they do the same for MH1C since they are harder to drive than my other IEMs. Overall, I like them both, R-50 and MH1C are both great for their price range, MH1C can NEVER match the build, comfort, isolation and fit of R-50 for me..though comparision of 120$ Vs 20$ will always be an odd one

I am comparing these phones (dba and the mh1c) completely regardless of price- only regarding sound quality. I've said before the sony cable and jcord sucks so bad that I won't recommend it to anyone at any price (even if it were free). It is that bad.

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #551 of 3,824
but they do the same for MH1C since they are harder to drive than my other IEMs

yeah, once amped the bass is just superb! hits real hard, fast and low! 

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #555 of 3,824
Quote:

yeah, once amped the bass is just superb! hits real hard, fast and low! 

By "amped", I hope you mean "clip zipped"! Otherwise, you are going to force me to buy a E11 or a Bravo tube amp, and then I will have to come looking for you lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back