[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Jan 30, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #3,676 of 3,824
Well, the N3 does have superior dynamics, higher resolution, bigger soundstage and better separation and layering. It's not like it's exactly the same but costing more because of the more expensive build quality. For me the price difference is totally justified. I have both mh1 and mh1c and they are nice iems for the money, especially if you want smooth and organic sound, but the n3 is performing on a different level. I already like it better than the other great performers in the price range like aaw a3h pro v2, flc8d, vsonic gr07 etc. Got the updated vsonic gr09 today and n3's better than it too. It just really grows on you.

Jan 30, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #3,677 of 3,824
Well, the N3 does have superior dynamics, higher resolution, bigger soundstage and better separation and layering. It's not like it's exactly the same but costing more because of the more expensive build quality. For me the price difference is totally justified. I have both mh1 and mh1c and they are nice iems for the money, especially if you want smooth and organic sound, but the n3 is performing on a different level. I already like it better than the other great performers in the price range like aaw a3h pro v2, flc8d, vsonic gr07 etc. Got the updated vsonic gr09 today and n3's better than it too. It just really grows on you.

Don't misunderstand me, the n3 is great, and I am not a huge fan of all those other iems. Not because they're bad, but there are just better and more affordable iems. The n3 resolution is good but it has a lot to do with the response. Dipped upper mids and slightly boosted treble. In all fairness the akg I mentioned is similar. But I do consider them both slightly hyped in that they excite the response with the extra bass and treble. This isn't a bad thing, just not necessarily as neutral in terms of revealing all audible content. For that I prefer my er4sr/or. But that's also a different listening experience.

Sometimes it's less engaging but more resolving. Other times the opposite. Depends somewhat on mood and music for me. The xba is indefinitely good build quality though. And the convenience over the awful mh1 cable may be worth the money to some. But strictly audio wise, the mh1 is in the same general ballpark but a loooot cheaper if you prefer a laid back sound. :)

Jan 30, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #3,678 of 3,824
Don't misunderstand me, the n3 is great, and I am not a huge fan of all those other iems. Not because they're bad, but there are just better and more affordable iems. The n3 resolution is good but it has a lot to do with the response. Dipped upper mids and slightly boosted treble. In all fairness the akg I mentioned is similar. But I do consider them both slightly hyped in that they excite the response with the extra bass and treble. This isn't a bad thing, just not necessarily as neutral in terms of revealing all audible content. For that I prefer my er4sr/or. But that's also a different listening experience.

Sometimes it's less engaging but more resolving. Other times the opposite. Depends somewhat on mood and music for me. The xba is indefinitely good build quality though. And the convenience over the awful mh1 cable may be worth the money to some. But strictly audio wise, the mh1 is in the same general ballpark but a loooot cheaper if you prefer a laid back sound. :)
Well, for me the mh1/c lacks dynamics and is a bit too laid back in the mids. It's kinda weird as it has an upper treble emphasis but somehow still manages to sound intimate. Also it's somewhat grainy and fuzzy around the note edges, especially audibly in the treble. It's far from being in the same ballpark with the n3 as aside from nice tone and signature, it lacks in technical ability. Not that the N3 prowess comes from being technical but it's clearly superior and not by a little. I literally just did yet another direct comparison between the two and there wasn't a single track that sounded more natural with the mh1 or as resolving or dynamic.

As far as the other better and more affordable iems, I'm kinda tired of these game coz through the years I jumped on so many hype trains, heard so much junk - there is always someone who will tell you that his/her $30 discovery is way better than this and that $500 iem. After all these years I still consider my ety er4s among the best in any price range and that shows from the on-going fandom it has decades after its release, while all the flavors of the month are forgotten before the the end of the month they were discovered in.

Jan 30, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #3,680 of 3,824
Er4 all the way...
Word! It might not be the most versatile but feed it the right music... Btw, I see you have the dunu titan1 - now that's a great performer, especially at the current low price. Coincidentally (or maybe not), I think it sounds at it best with the mh1 tips.

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #3,681 of 3,824
I think the mh1 sounds better than any xba. They are all good, but none are as linear with regard to frequency response. Ironically, the xba 1 is probably the most neutral of the xba line.

On another note, I got a note 9 and was blown away by the overall neutrality of the included AKG earphones. They are still slightly "hyped" with a more U shaped response. However, the tuning is so smooth they simply sound superb. They are sold separately for $100, and I'd take them over any xba for any price. However, the mh1 at $20 is a hard to beat value...
indeed i've been enjoying it quite a bit. My sennheisers cx300 II broke only after 5 months. the mh1 seem quality build they are quite impressive i'd say one of the best things i've purchased for 20 dollars. true sony quality.

Does sony have any good high quality IEM offerings for 100 dollars?

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #3,682 of 3,824
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #3,686 of 3,824
It doesn't. I still think that for neutral and revealing sound twfk does better with the low end
I find the ex4r nearly perfect. But my point is exactly that. Many people probably think the akg isn't bassy enough. I disagree. It's a bit more than er4xr. But many probably think that's not enough... so reviews are subective. That's the point I was making. If you want a slighty more exciting and revealing signature the akg is awesome.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #3,687 of 3,824
Are there any fake sony mh1cs out there?

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #3,688 of 3,824
Are there any fake sony mh1cs out there?

There probably are fake ones, but I don't think thats the problem with the MH1C. The problem is that real ones don't turn out good either.

I've bought 8 pairs so far, 3 MH1s, 5 MH1Cs. I bought the MH1s during the 2015 head-fi MH1 craze :)

Out of all of them, only two sound right - one MH1C, one MH1 (The MH1 one is still not quite right, but its acceptable).

The rest have the same overpronounced bass issue that Rin Choi and Tyll measured, as well as ljokerl commented on in his review. Here is a comparison between the good copy I have and one that is particularly bad (but not the worst I've owned

mh1c-good-vs-bad.png

I think there is a manufacturing problem with the MH1 design, it was perhaps overly ambitious for the budget. The bad one has excessive bass and the treble sounds muted and boring. 3 of the 5 I bought are more or less this.

The good one is almost perfect, there is just a little bit too much 3K peak.

Finally, one of the copies was good at first, then progressively got worse and now sounds muted in the treble. Not as bad as the bad one shown above, but still boring.

Feb 22, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #3,690 of 3,824

Users who are viewing this thread

Back