[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Jan 2, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #3,406 of 3,824
Stop posting pictures of recabled MH1s people, you're making me jealous!
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #3,407 of 3,824
Not pretty but it was a fast job and works fine for what it is.
Slit the backs of the strain reliefs open, soldered wires not tip to tip but laying same direction, then used some liquid electrical tape on exposed  solder points and tucked them all in.
Small black shrinkwrap first to just inside the strain relief ends then larger diameter holds it all tight.
Cut off most of the irritating strain relief. Wired down to a regular TRS config , inline mic disabled but Iike the soft cable so went with it.
Better than the awkward J cable and excess stiff shrinkwrap I had before.

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #3,408 of 3,824
  Not pretty but it was a fast job and works fine for what it is.
Slit the backs of the strain reliefs open, soldered wires not tip to tip but laying same direction, then used some liquid electrical tape on exposed  solder points and tucked them all in.
Small black shrinkwrap first to just inside the strain relief ends then larger diameter holds it all tight.
Cut off most of the irritating strain relief. Wired down to a regular TRS config , inline mic disabled but Iike the soft cable so went with it.
Better than the awkward J cable and excess stiff shrinkwrap I had before.

There are only two certain things in life:

1) The mh1c cable is THE most annoying cable ever created by humanity

2) I am SOOOOO sending you my mh1c's for recabling!!!!!

Great work nick!
beerchug.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #3,409 of 3,824
My last recable... :)

BTG Audio 26 AWG Clear XLPE wire, Neutrik/Rean right-angle connector, custom y-split that is very strong and small. Vents glued precisely for slightly lowered bass response. Original stress relief in tact, wires soldered to the drivers and superglued in place for added strength.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #3,411 of 3,824
Yesterday I just found my mh1 in laptop bag and tried them and it sounded strange. I thought they were blown or damaged. Then I removed the filter. Found black filter on only one side. After removing the filters they sound normal actually more open but sometimes sibilant.. So for some reason the white filter at front were blocking the sound.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #3,413 of 3,824
Are Sony MH1 series still produced? I can hardly find them, either sold solely (MH1) or sold bundled w/ MW1 (MH1C)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

These are Sony Ericsson products I believe and you know that product line has gone under. So I presume that they're discontinued unless China manages to keep producing fakes

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #3,414 of 3,824
I am amazed no one tried this very simple trick to make the old Mh1 omtp sound normal, just a simple cut to size plastic piece to hold the mic button pressed and some electrical tape over it to hold it in place, voila, barely noticed

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #3,416 of 3,824
I am amazed no one tried this very simple trick to make the old Mh1 omtp sound normal, just a simple cut to size plastic piece to hold the mic button pressed and some electrical tape over it to hold it in place, voila, barely noticed

I have tried other similar tricks, they work but not for ever. At some point the button will malfunction. The only real long term ways to make these phones work is either a recabling or an adapter. I opted for an adapter, it is cheap and elegant. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #3,417 of 3,824

I posted about that a while back. You can use the plastic zip ties too. But that doesn't fix the horribly awful cable design. Yuck.

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #3,418 of 3,824
I was going to replace the cable but after the ttopd t1e it seems I will use mh1 ocasionally from now on.

Sent from aifon

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #3,419 of 3,824
Hello all,

I have a curiosity. I don't know much about driver, but the description says that MH1C's driver is a "dynamic TRANSDUCER driver". What is that exactly? Is it just another way to name a normal 5.8 mm driver, or are these transducer drivers different, like balanced armature ones? I'm asking because I own an MH1C and it sounds way better, and the sound feels much fuller than other simple headphones with 6,7,8,10mm (presumably normal) dynamic drivers.

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #3,420 of 3,824
I bought my third set for recable and then just noticed that I wear the cable wrong! I just need to use the shirt clip behind neck, the stiff thick cable is still annoying but it become tolerable, actually I can see the benefit of j-cable now, just wish the cable is less stiff or use oval instead flat cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back