[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Apr 1, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #3,018 of 3,824

Finally i got paracord sleevings for my braided cabels..
I got black, red and blue sleevings..
still waiting for various kind of cable I ordered and heatshring tubing

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #3,019 of 3,824
Hello, I just received the MH1 from amazon but apparently it does not work on either my itouch nor my sansa clip zip....Honestly it sounds garbles like the earphones were broken. But It works on my laptop. is there any way to make it sing properly? 

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #3,020 of 3,824
Hello, I just received the MH1 from amazon but apparently it does not work on either my itouch nor my sansa clip zip....Honestly it sounds garbles like the earphones were broken. But It works on my laptop. is there any way to make it sing properly? 

Read the first post. The MH1 doesn't work with many devices due to its older plug. You can get a cheap adapter for it on ebay.

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #3,021 of 3,824

A lot of basic adapters and splitters will fix the audio alone. Try any y-splitter or extension cable. All you need to do to fix the audio is join the ground and mic on the sleeve, which most of these types of cables will do. The controls are another matter.

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #3,022 of 3,824
Took me a wild guess and realized that it works only when the center button is pressed. So I need "something" to keep pressing the button. I decided to tinker this earphones in ghetto way:

1) cut a card or something solid enough to press the button.

2) glued that son of gun with super glue. I added a gorilla glue as well

3. Wired that thing to keep the piece of card pressed firmly

4. Using plier with fine point, pressed the wire so that it would stay flat along the surface of the cable. This prevents the wire from scratching my ears when worn over the ear.

but so far so good. I need to burn it so it'll be less congested. Is there any better tips that would suit these?

edit: so when the center button is pressed, it sounds the same as when it's plugged onto the adapter correct?

Apr 4, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #3,025 of 3,824
Out of curiosity, what is the price of an MH1C now? I saw some going for $60 on eBay - is that true? I bought mine for $25 back when they were on the down-low 
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #3,027 of 3,824
  it is so easy to open the remote and short the mic-gnd connection with some solder as described previously ...why go to all the trouble of adapters, glue, etc etc...

Because shortening it won’t preserve the button and mic functions? 

Will switching the ground and mic wires in remote effectively convert to CTIA? I am afraid I might end up with the left speaker having CTIA ground while the right one has OMTP ground.

Could you link me a good tutorial (post # in this thread, I guess) about doing the procedure you mentioned?

I have twelve Sony MH1 right now (~5€ each from Amazon.de), but only one adapter (the one ClieOS recommends). Because its length is pretty annoying, I’d prefer a solder solution, at least if the parts can be put together so that the headset looks like before opening again.

Apr 4, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #3,028 of 3,824
  Will switching the ground and mic wires in remote effectively convert to CTIA? I am afraid I might end up with the left speaker having CTIA ground while the right one has OMTP ground.

That's technically impossible.

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #3,029 of 3,824
Out of curiosity, what is the price of an MH1C now? I saw some going for $60 on eBay - is that true? I bought mine for $25 back when they were on the down-low :D

I just bought a set on eBay for 99p :) these may turn out to be a cable replacement experiment. Otherwise you can still buy them on amazon uk for £14 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back