[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Dec 11, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #2,761 of 3,824
Yes. Buy a ctia adapter for a few dollars or solder the wires the other way (swap ground and mic cables where the controls are)

That will simply make the headphones work ...it does not enable the remote on an iPhone

I have modified a few MH1s by swapping mic and gnd connections either on the minijack or inside the remote to make them sound correct on Apple devices....but I have not been able to make the remote work at all..

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #2,762 of 3,824
Yes. Buy a ctia adapter for a few dollars or solder the wires the other way (swap ground and mic cables where the controls are)

That will simply make the headphones work ...it does not enable the remote on an iPhone

I have modified a few MH1s by swapping mic and gnd connections either on the minijack or inside the remote to make them sound correct on Apple devices....but I have not been able to make the remote work at all..
If the apple are ctia then switching the ground and mic (not joining them) will fix the controls. So will an adapter. The adapter switches the ground/mic. Joining the two fixes the audio but not the controls.

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #2,763 of 3,824

Yeah, the mh1 is pretty microphonic, but both of these will be improved by wearing them over the ear and using a shirt clip.  Paying someone to recable them is probably at least $40-50 plus the $20 they cost, so you're looking at $70 or so for a recabled mh1.  That's not bad considering they used to retail for $80 though. :p  But if you're looking for something similar at that price range you probably won't find it.  The mh1 is pretty darn impressive at $20.  You could still find something good.  In fact, I'm very impressed with sony's "rockin' buds" at less than $10 freaking dollars, but they have no mic.  That's still just wrong that you can get an earphone as good as this for less than $10:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDREX10LP-BLK-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B004XXQI1U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386550536&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+earphones

There is a similar sony though for about $20-30 with a mic.  Not sure how it sounds, but if it's at all like the rockin' buds, which it looks identical to, it should sound decent.

http://www.amazon.com/DR-EX12IP-Stereo-Headphones-Remote-Black/dp/B004QOA93E/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386550606&sr=1-2&keywords=sony+earphones+microphone

Thanks, I do need to get something with a mic so I'll take a look at those. To be honest it's not worth being too fussy about audio quality considering that I only ever wear one earpiece when out so that I can maintain some situational awareness.

At home, I either use my full-sized headphones or my active-noise cancelling buds when I need to block out the noise around me and chill :)

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #2,764 of 3,824
Well I let a friend listen to my MH1 and F111, and he insisted that the soundmagic pl30's are better. But it seems those are missing treble above 8k... Hmm.

I'd like to reiterate that I still find the MH1 to be one of the best phones I've heard at any price. Especially in places with ambient noise, like the gym, the extra bass sounds less emphasized than in quiet environments.

For as much bass emphasis as there is, I'm still surprised at the lack of mid-bass bleed. Mids are just very clear and precise, with very near perfect tonality. It's such a rare quality to nail every part of the FR, and when a $20 iem gets it right, it's easy to start taking such a wonderful sound for granted. Listening to other iems at this point feels like wasted effort, as so few of them get it right. But it does make me more fully appreciate the iems that do.

My top 3 are still the ER4S, MH1 and F111. I see them as equals that excel in different areas and situations. Unfortunately they're all a bit finicky with fit and/or cabling, but it's not bad adjusting to them over time. Even the MH1 cable, which I originally described as fettuccine, has turned out to be not so bad for the gym. I wear it under my shirt and behind my head and it stays put for the most part. And because it's under my shirt, there is less cable movement and hence less microphonics. It's surprisingly usable. That's not to say I wouldn't get it recabled if I could, but for the gym or with the shirt clip the cable works just fine.

The ER4S has its own cable problems, and I had to "mod" those in order for them to be useful. And the F111 has its fit quirks as well. So really no iem gets it all right. But someday one will come very very close, and with all the progress being made every year in iem development, I think that day will be sooner rather than later.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #2,765 of 3,824
Well I let a friend listen to my MH1 and F111, and he insisted that the soundmagic pl30's are better. But it seems those are missing treble above 8k... Hmm.

I'd like to reiterate that I still find the MH1 to be one of the best phones I've heard at any price. Especially in places with ambient noise, like the gym, the extra bass sounds less emphasized than in quiet environments.

For as much bass emphasis as there is, I'm still surprised at the lack of mid-bass bleed. Mids are just very clear and precise, with very near perfect tonality. It's such a rare quality to nail every part of the FR, and when a $20 iem gets it right, it's easy to start taking such a wonderful sound for granted. Listening to other iems at this point feels like wasted effort, as so few of them get it right. But it does make me more fully appreciate the iems that do.

My top 3 are still the ER4S, MH1 and F111. I see them as equals that excel in different areas and situations. Unfortunately they're all a bit finicky with fit and/or cabling, but it's not bad adjusting to them over time. Even the MH1 cable, which I originally described as fettuccine, has turned out to be not so bad for the gym. I wear it under my shirt and behind my head and it stays put for the most part. And because it's under my shirt, there is less cable movement and hence less microphonics. It's surprisingly usable. That's not to say I wouldn't get it recabled if I could, but for the gym or with the shirt clip the cable works just fine.

The ER4S has its own cable problems, and I had to "mod" those in order for them to be useful. And the F111 has its fit quirks as well. So really no iem gets it all right. But someday one will come very very close, and with all the progress being made every year in iem development, I think that day will be sooner rather than later.

I absolutely agree on everything you said. There are times where the m1 doesn't even sound bassy, but perfect with no eq. So it's great for different noise environments. Sitting at home i'm down to a SINGLE bass cut eq point. Not even the er4s is that easy to eq, although it is my favorite iem alongside the mh1 and f111 as well. The f111 is like a tease though with the fit issues sometimes. The er4s has so much going for it, but the mh1 is just easier to wear and more simply portable. I hate to say this... Bah! ....no...... Aaaah....... But I haven't even been using my er4s since i got the my1. And when i think about it, i don't really mind. I've compared them extensively and can easily make each one sound pretty much just like the other using eq. However, the mh1 has a generally more believable body to the sound when eq'd to perfection. The er4s has better treble depth and energy. But both are more similar than different in that they are very smooth from low to high, which makes them easy to eq well with only a few slight adjustments. Don't get me wrong, i love my er4s, but the sounds are both so good that i usually just grab the quicker more portable mh1.
I have never personally had as much issue with the cable as some, but i am recabling mine. When worn behind the neck and clipped, they don't bother me. The problem i have is wearing them around the ears. This completely removes cable noise for me, but the flat cable, controls and cable design cause them to want to flop back off my ears.
As for price, i do believe you get what you pay for most of the time. But i also think most iems are completely overpriced. I'd gladly pay the $300 for an er4s (i did), but the f111 should be closer to that price as well. As for the mh1, i'd gladly put it in the same tier of audio quality and thus a much higher price. But oh my goodness we don't have to! I think the idea that a cheap iem couldn't possibly be as high quality as a high priced iem is just silly. Is it likely? No. The higher priced iems have nicer cables and construction, but where sound is concerned the mh1 is up there.
People might say "it's too bassy". But guess what, every iem has a noticeable flaw area or two or three. The mh1 might be a bit bassy, but it's a smooth flat boosted region with no spikes or dips. And every other area is pretty much flawless. That's pretty bad @$&.
Anyway, i know there are many who will disagree. I'm just giving my opinion from someone (me) who values flat, neutral, analytical type sound. The mh1 almost blends that with what people call musicality.
My dream would be to have the an iem like the er4s or mh1, with very smooth response but a bass level between the two and a frequency response that sounds the same every time you fit it, and has a nice cable. :p. Maybe i can get a job designing one someday. Ha!

Dec 12, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #2,766 of 3,824
If the apple are ctia then switching the ground and mic (not joining them) will fix the controls. So will an adapter. The adapter switches the ground/mic. Joining the two fixes the audio but not the controls.

The remote does not work with Apple devices after switching mic and gnd connections...I have tried.

That is why I am asking if there is something else one can do to make the original remote work [besides recabling with an Apple remote which I have done on one set]

Dec 12, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #2,767 of 3,824
I absolutely agree on everything you said. There are times where the m1 doesn't even sound bassy, but perfect with no eq. So it's great for different noise environments. Sitting at home i'm down to a SINGLE bass cut eq point. Not even the er4s is that easy to eq, although it is my favorite iem alongside the mh1 and f111 as well. The f111 is like a tease though with the fit issues sometimes. The er4s has so much going for it, but the mh1 is just easier to wear and more simply portable. I hate to say this... Bah! ....no...... Aaaah....... But I haven't even been using my er4s since i got the my1. And when i think about it, i don't really mind. I've compared them extensively and can easily make each one sound pretty much just like the other using eq. However, the mh1 has a generally more believable body to the sound when eq'd to perfection. The er4s has better treble depth and energy. But both are more similar than different in that they are very smooth from low to high, which makes them easy to eq well with only a few slight adjustments. Don't get me wrong, i love my er4s, but the sounds are both so good that i usually just grab the quicker more portable mh1.
I have never personally had as much issue with the cable as some, but i am recabling mine. When worn behind the neck and clipped, they don't bother me. The problem i have is wearing them around the ears. This completely removes cable noise for me, but the flat cable, controls and cable design cause them to want to flop back off my ears.
As for price, i do believe you get what you pay for most of the time. But i also think most iems are completely overpriced. I'd gladly pay the $300 for an er4s (i did), but the f111 should be closer to that price as well. As for the mh1, i'd gladly put it in the same tier of audio quality and thus a much higher price. But oh my goodness we don't have to! I think the idea that a cheap iem couldn't possibly be as high quality as a high priced iem is just silly. Is it likely? No. The higher priced iems have nicer cables and construction, but where sound is concerned the mh1 is up there.
People might say "it's too bassy". But guess what, every iem has a noticeable flaw area or two or three. The mh1 might be a bit bassy, but it's a smooth flat boosted region with no spikes or dips. And every other area is pretty much flawless. That's pretty bad @$&.
Anyway, i know there are many who will disagree. I'm just giving my opinion from someone (me) who values flat, neutral, analytical type sound. The mh1 almost blends that with what people call musicality.
My dream would be to have the an iem like the er4s or mh1, with very smooth response but a bass level between the two and a frequency response that sounds the same every time you fit it, and has a nice cable. :p. Maybe i can get a job designing one someday. Ha!

I totally get you mate! I always take my MH1 when I'm out and about... the J-cord seems to work for me because they just hang down your neck when not in use. Then you get to wear them quickly when you finally need them... easy! And surprisingly, the sound quality still blows me away to this date despite the number of upgrades i've gone through since I've been in this hobby.

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #2,768 of 3,824
I know what I'm going to type will sound positively dumb, stupid and improbable to most people who don't believe in stuff like break-in. I do NOT believe in break in. I don't believe in expensive wires. Nor plugs, etc.

I thought the MH-1s were too bassy and dark. And before I could think about bridging the 1/8th plug's ground, I took out the original wire and replaced it with 24GA stranded copper wire, the plug is now a heavy duty Radio Shack gold 1/8th.

Then I burned them for 3 days straight with pink noise at a fairly high level.

I swear - I have never, ever thought of them as bassy ever again. They are smooth, sweet, balanced, punchy, dynamic, clear... I like them more than my Etys. There, I said it. The Etys may be more detailed, but they are ruthless, and quite frankly, a bit too aggressive. I think they are artificially detailed at this point. The Sonys are a pleasure to listen to, comfortable, have a very very very nice bass response, treble is PERFECT, cymbals sound like cymbals, voice sounds like voice...

I have listened to them for a couple of weeks now. I have my Etys in storage now. I only use the Sonys now.

Yes, they are that good.

For $20 they are an insane steal.

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #2,769 of 3,824
  I know what I'm going to type will sound positively dumb, stupid and improbable to most people who don't believe in stuff like break-in. I do NOT believe in break in. I don't believe in expensive wires. Nor plugs, etc.

I thought the MH-1s were too bassy and dark. And before I could think about bridging the 1/8th plug's ground, I took out the original wire and replaced it with 24GA stranded copper wire, the plug is now a heavy duty Radio Shack gold 1/8th.

Then I burned them for 3 days straight with pink noise at a fairly high level.

I swear - I have never, ever thought of them as bassy ever again. They are smooth, sweet, balanced, punchy, dynamic, clear... I like them more than my Etys. There, I said it. The Etys may be more detailed, but they are ruthless, and quite frankly, a bit too aggressive. I think they are artificially detailed at this point. The Sonys are a pleasure to listen to, comfortable, have a very very very nice bass response, treble is PERFECT, cymbals sound like cymbals, voice sounds like voice...

I have listened to them for a couple of weeks now. I have my Etys in storage now. I only use the Sonys now.

Yes, they are that good.

For $20 they are an insane steal.

Yip..I sold off my Ety ER4s and HF3s and do not miss them one bit...I have 5 sets of MH-1 earphones in various stages of modifications, recablings etc...such fun!

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #2,770 of 3,824
Today i bought the MH1 in holland for 23 dollars, but when i put it directly on my laptop or ipod classic the sound is very bad, you can hear the music, but scrambled.
It sounds better when i hold the "call key" from the remote pressed in, but still the volume at max is low  (i hope its not its full original sound)

I know the difference between the MH1 and MH1C is the connection, so i ordered this adapter: http://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/KR1094.html

Will this help me? or do i have to order a MH1C??

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #2,771 of 3,824
Today i bought the MH1 in holland for 23 dollars, but when i put it directly on my laptop or ipod classic the sound is very bad, you can hear the music, but scrambled.
It sounds better when i hold the "call key" from the remote pressed in, but still the volume at max is low  (i hope its not its full original sound)

I know the difference between the MH1 and MH1C is the connection, so i ordered this adapter: http://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/KR1094.html

Will this help me? or do i have to order a MH1C??
Don't order the mh1c. No no. The mh1 are better. At a minimum in their consistency. That adapter should work. It doesn't say omtp or ctia anywhere, but i can't imagine the other pins would ever be swapped, so i'm guessing it's the same thing.

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #2,773 of 3,824
A
Would that adapter also fix the volume level that it now has?

An amp. :p
If you press the button and it fixes the sound, it's because the button is connecting the ground and mic, which is making it a standard headphone pinout. That is normal volume for the earphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back