[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Dec 2, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #2,731 of 3,824
Dec 3, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #2,732 of 3,824
I have lost white filters of my MH1C, what kind of DIY replacement filters I can use without altering the default freq curve much. 

Without filters 1k-10k region is too emphasized, rough and bothersome.

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #2,736 of 3,824
Dec 7, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #2,737 of 3,824
Dec 7, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #2,741 of 3,824

I see it for $20 everywhere.  Where is it $15?

In the second link. First one was UK with price 20GBP.

Oh, I see it now.  I thought that page it brought me to was one of those "page not found, here are some related items" pages. haha

I'm still thinking of doing it myself.  I can get a neutrik plug for $3.50, free shipping, wire for cheap and I just need some heat shrink tubing...  Not sure which is the best for this application...  But I'm guessing it can be less than $20 total and I'd have a nice plug that I believe is more durable and a nice looking cable... (not that the ue is bad)  That's the best retail replacement cable for this project that I've seen though.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #2,742 of 3,824
I'd like to get a pair of these but I think having the remote/mic only 3 inches from the left bud would annoy the hell out of me, as it would be dangling against my neck. I want my remote/mic sitting on my chest out of the way and I like to tuck the cable from the bud up under my wooly hat, which relieves the weight of the cable on the buds (and therefore my ears), which would put the remote/mic under my hat with these! So whilst I'm sure I'd love the sound from these, unfortunately it's pointless buying them when they're going to annoy me when wearing them.

Can anyone suggest an alternative with the mic/remote in a sensible place, or even a separate mic/remote cable with a socket to allow me to plug in any headphones I want?

Dec 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #2,743 of 3,824
  I'd like to get a pair of these but I think having the remote/mic only 3 inches from the left bud would annoy the hell out of me, as it would be dangling against my neck.

Yes, absolutely.  I don't even mind the flat cable if you wear it properly.  I even wear it behind the ears.  However, the controls hanging are annoying to say the least.  That is the failing of the cable to me.  You could buy the ue900 cable and solder it to the mh1 cable near the housing.  That would give you a nice control cable that is designed a bit better.  Otherwise, for an alternative you want the Sony MH750.

The same engineer, Sead, worked on them and compares them as being very similar to the mh1.  Although, not as good they should sound similar with the changes he described being a bit darker and slightly less treble extension and details.  But the controls are in the middle of the cable lower...

post #211

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MH750-Stereo-Headset-Microphone/dp/B008MN8X7Y

Dec 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,745 of 3,824
  If you can't wear the MH1 normally, and you can't have the controls up at your ear. Its suggests there isn't any proper way to wear these. Its a real same because they sound great. 

I agree, but I think the proper way to wear them "is" to have the controls near your ear.  And this makes sense from a headset standpoint.  Think about it...  The microphone is IN the controls.  So if you wear the headset as intended, they would go in your ears, hang down (not around the ears) and behind the neck.  This places the controls roughly at the level of your mouth so your speech will be picked up very good by the microphone.  If they put it at a lower part of the cable it would either sound worse (which might still be o.k.) or you would ned to lift the mic to your mouth when you speak.

So from a design standpoint this is actually pretty good, except in reality it doesn't work well.  I'm starting to wonder if the flat cable was made to prevent you from easily wearing it over the ear or something so they could guarantee the mic is always at mouth level.  Anyway, it is understandable but unfortunate that it was designed this way.

I'd rather have no mic personally, but for those who do want one I would think perhaps they could have put the mic out of the controls in it's own little control box that is much smaller in place of the current control box and then move the current control box lower.  But maybe that increased the cost, and one goal was to make this affordable.  I'm not sure.  I didn't design them. :p  But I wish I could be on the team that does design these things. ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back