[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 27, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #1,261 of 3,824
yup even I went through the right channel cut off, and also send a mail to my ebay seller for replacement, but the sound came back immediately ..probably like clieos said, moisture ..

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #1,263 of 3,824
Quote:
I seriously don't understand this hype over MH1C. It leaks air over the highs like a $5 earphone and while the music is warm and balanced, there is no clarity at all in these. The Bass just muddles everything at high volumes. I am truly disappointed in these and the forums as well. I used to regularly visit here for reviews but i think i seriously need to reconsider. You guys say these are worthy of $50-100. I cannot see that at all. No good IEM should be this bad at the highs, and my 2.5 year old CX400-II sound much better than this even thought they sound a but less natural.....

The highs are one of those points that need slight rectification. It doesn't get too harsh but sometimes it can hurt. Clarity. Well I can see how you are getting that. These aren't the most airy and open sounding and forward vocal based IEM's which is what usually gives the user the feeling of "clarity". In terms of clarity of the vocals and etc, it is up there. Nothing wrong per say.

EQ. 

Quote:
I don't listen to EDM, so I can't really advise. They do sound good for the few hip hop songs I have. For the most part it's just way too much bass and that's why I'm going to use them in a noisy environment like the riding mower, where elevated bass is appreciated.
Simply put, they have nice clear vocals and nicely extended treble but the bass is off putting for any kind of critical listening. They're a wonderful deal for the sub $30 they're going for, especially since the tips have come in handy for other earphones, but I find the volume of threads recommending this earphone over proven HF mainstays to be ridiculously unhelpful and nonsensical. I'd be seriously disappointed if I paid full price. As it stands, I'm pleased for $21.

I recommend a EQ. If you have a FiiO E17, try a -4dB Bass EQ. If not, just put a -4dB bass EQ and or try to get it to match Joe's EQ graph.
ebay.
I suspect the ones on amazon simply ran out of stock.

Basically
I know a head-fier that is preferring these MH1C to his UE11Pro customs for sound quality after EQing down the bass 
basshead.gif

That means very little. It just means that the UE11's weren't really exactly fitting for what he wanted and thus when another pair came along, he preferred this pair more. I wouldn't rate these past $200. They sound very good with that EQ you provided of course but do have some problems and the fit and usability is atrocious for my case.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #1,264 of 3,824
WOOT! got them in the mail today, pulled out my old sennheiser CX500 and the stock sony earphones (MH650c) which came with my phone to compare... can't wait for the burn in to finish.
I'm keeping my expectations realistic, there's no way it will compare to my W4 or UM3X

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #1,265 of 3,824
Quote:
WOOT! got them in the mail today, pulled out my old sennheiser CX500 and the stock sony earphones (MH650c) which came with my phone to compare... can't wait for the burn in to finish.
I'm keeping my expectations realistic, there's no way it will compare to my W4 or UM3X

They'll sound just as good as your W4 and UM3X so much so you'll want to sale them 
wink_face.gif

Seriously though while I still like them quite a bit to I don't think they sound better than the $150 to $200 IEM's I've heard.  Well worth the $20 I got them for but I think the msrp of around $80 is the perfect price for them.  Now that I've sold my VB they're the bassiest IEM I have so when I need a bass fix they fit the bill nicely.

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #1,266 of 3,824
Quote:
What volume were you listening at?  Sounds like one of the voice coils was overheating from being driven too hard for too long.

Same happend to me, just in middle of song, left channel almost completly dissapeared, when I removed right one, I could still hear sound in left one, but faintly, with lot of crackling and static. I thought thats it, done with that pair. But tomorrow, all was ok? I was listened to them at that moment for about 6-7 hours, at med to not-so-high. Could it be the reason you mentioned?

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #1,267 of 3,824
Quote:

They'll sound just as good as your W4 and UM3X so much so you'll want to sale them 
wink_face.gif

I see what you did there 
tongue_smile.gif

A quick listen tells me it's got less bass than the CX500 but more importantly, much more detailed bass which to me now is more important, the stock Sony's still come short of either earphones. The mids seem slightly lacking but that could be due to the fact I've been listening to the UM3X lately. I only wish sony packed these as the stock earphones rather than the smart clip accessory.
Last bit on the fit, they aren't the most comfy though. I'm using the smallest tip but it feels like it's about to pop out. Isolation is...not that great
very happy with the $25 price tag I paid though, definitely will use them when an IEM is not quite appropriate

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #1,268 of 3,824
To help those out still trying to buy this at a good price try http://www.mobimega.com/sony-mh1c-smart-headset-with-smartkey-control.html . its shipped from HK and i just got mine from them. its genuine and everything looks good. Its in bulk packing so no manual or box but still nicely packaged.

My first impressions after having using GR07 for two months as my first higher end IEM.

Bass: Good quantity, and good impact awsome for hip-hop rap or any kind of electronica music. A bit much for my taste for anything with band music or orchestral. The quality of the bass is not as good as the GR07 but it is still very decent.

Mids: nothing too outstanding , good but not as clear as GR07 on first impression

Highs: First impression is good because it made me realize that GR07 is actually very siblant while MH1C was not at all even when i boosted the treble for the extra sparkle and clarity! But i would say overall GR07 does highs better except for the being siblant part.

the ear tips are 'bouncier' than the GR07 stock ones so they fit tighter and thus result in more pressure in my ear, but nothing that makes it uncomfortable, just feels different.

The sound stage for me was noticeably bigger and wider than the GR07 but not by very much. Separation was on par with Gr07 but i would say GR07 edges out being a bit better on this end.

overall MH1C is a good purchase and worth a try, the only down side is that while i adjusted to the J cord it is still annoying, stiff, bouncy, and rubbery.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #1,270 of 3,824
To help those out still trying to buy this at a good price try http://www.mobimega.com/sony-mh1c-smart-headset-with-smartkey-control.html . its shipped from HK and i just got mine from them. its genuine and everything looks good. Its in bulk packing so no manual or box but still nicely packaged.

My first impressions after having using GR07 for two months as my first higher end IEM.

Bass: Good quantity, and good impact awsome for hip-hop rap or any kind of electronica music. A bit much for my taste for anything with band music or orchestral. The quality of the bass is not as good as the GR07 but it is still very decent.

Mids: nothing too outstanding , good but not as clear as GR07 on first impression

Highs: First impression is good because it made me realize that GR07 is actually very siblant while MH1C was not at all even when i boosted the treble for the extra sparkle and clarity! But i would say overall GR07 does highs better except for the being siblant part.

the ear tips are 'bouncier' than the GR07 stock ones so they fit tighter and thus result in more pressure in my ear, but nothing that makes it uncomfortable, just feels different.

The sound stage for me was noticeably bigger and wider than the GR07 but not by very much. Separation was on par with Gr07 but i would say GR07 edges out being a bit better on this end.

overall MH1C is a good purchase and worth a try, the only down side is that while i adjusted to the J cord it is still annoying, stiff, bouncy, and rubbery.

Here's the bonus...try out the MH1C tips on your GR07.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #1,271 of 3,824
Hello
I am new to this forum and I have just bought one pair of these but I have a problem i cant solve. I use them on my laptop an they work flawlessly , but on my android phone it does't happen. the buttons doesn't work but thats ok for me, the problems is that on my android it onlty reproduces one chanell on both earbuds, and when i click on that button betwen the volume controls on the cord it stars to run good whith the normal stereo sound, but as son i take my finger from thta button than again it looks like giving me mono sound. any hel you can give me?

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #1,272 of 3,824
Hello
I am new to this forum and I have just bought one pair of these but I have a problem i cant solve. I use them on my laptop an they work flawlessly , but on my android phone it does't happen. the buttons doesn't work but thats ok for me, the problems is that on my android it onlty reproduces one chanell on both earbuds, and when i click on that button betwen the volume controls on the cord it stars to run good whith the normal stereo sound, but as son i take my finger from thta button than again it looks like giving me mono sound. any hel you can give me?

Yeah, your phone is older and doesn't support the protocol that the MH1C uses. You won't be able to successfully use these with your phone without an adapter.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #1,274 of 3,824
but in that case it shouldnt work well if i press that button right?

Yes it should. That button causes some kind of software short circuit that lets audio come through clearly.

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #1,275 of 3,824
finally got these, missing the clarity and detail id desire but theyre surprisingly refined and natural sounding. i can already tell theyll be a good fit with almost any genre i throw at it. from memory they do kinda remind me of the miles davis tumpet, hough probably not nearly as refined and a maybe messier low end. build quality seems better though! :D

personally i tuhink a bunch are overselling these, but a bunch are also unfairly undrselling them. to me they beat the shure se215 and original turbines, not a mean feat at their price. theyre a perfectly fine budget iem! really nice isolation too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back