[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
May 13, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #3,136 of 3,824
are they dropping the price because this version is going out of production ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281271061957?redirect=mobile

This is where I've bought my first pair, at the same price. I also bought the second pair (the black variety - http://www.ebay.com/itm/281317992605?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649) from this seller.
The only thing that wasn't included, was the shirt clip, but there was no mention of it in the listing...

May 13, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #3,137 of 3,824
Had the fx40. Plenty of detail, but the highs were way too bright for me. Apart from the cable, the mh1c's are much nicer imo.

As far as other budget iem's are concerned, the kc06 is awesome (I was lucky to get them for $53), and my understanding is that the remotes tenores are awesome as well. And its no surprise that both of them have better cables than the mh1c's
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe we're talking lower priced iems though.

how is the detail of the mh1? I have been a bit spoiled by the jvc hafx40's insane amount of detaling LOL 

May 13, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #3,139 of 3,824
So, I ended up ordering a few feet of BTG Audio cable, because I couldn't get the idea out of my mind, of making a cable from scratch.
It will definitely make a detachable cable.
The MH-1's are due to arrive this week, and I'll start taking them apart, to prepare everything for when I receive the cable parts, which will not be for another 3 weeks :/
At least, my new MEElectronics Sport-Fi S6P, have arrived in the mail yesterday, so I have something to keep my ears busy until then.

May 13, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #3,140 of 3,824
  So, I ended up ordering a few feet of BTG Audio cable, because I couldn't get the idea out of my mind, of making a cable from scratch.
It will definitely make a detachable cable.
The MH-1's are due to arrive this week, and I'll start taking them apart, to prepare everything for when I receive the cable parts, which will not be for another 3 weeks :/
At least, my new MEElectronics Sport-Fi S6P, have arrived in the mail yesterday, so I have something to keep my ears busy until then.

Just curious why you're making them detachable?

May 13, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #3,141 of 3,824

More often then not, a pair of headphones will get ruined because of a broken cable, and the solution becomes re-cabling them, or throwing them in the garbage to get a new pair.
Making a detachable cable, will allow for fast replacement in case of a problem with the cable, avoiding re-cabling the headphones all over again.
Even more, I'm considering fitting the MEElectronics Sport-Fi S6P with terminals, and that way, I can use only one cable with multiple headphones. It may not be a very good idea, but good quality cable is hard to get where I live, and I have to get it online, and I found it to be a bit expensive. Another benefit (only an opinion of course) is that it makes it easier to store, particularly if you don't have a case.

May 13, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #3,142 of 3,824

More often then not, a pair of headphones will get ruined because of a broken cable, and the solution becomes re-cabling them, or throwing them in the garbage to get a new pair.
Making a detachable cable, will allow for fast replacement in case of a problem with the cable, avoiding re-cabling the headphones all over again.
Even more, I'm considering fitting the MEElectronics Sport-Fi S6P with terminals, and that way, I can use only one cable with multiple headphones. It may not be a very good idea, but good quality cable is hard to get where I live, and I have to get it online, and I found it to be a bit expensive. Another benefit (only an opinion of course) is that it makes it easier to store, particularly if you don't have a case.

That's cool. Remove the weak point in the chain I suppose. 

May 14, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #3,145 of 3,824
what is the cheapest way to turn the mh1 into a mh1c? I mean the cheapest adapter.

If you're not planing on using the mic, you can just open the controls, and solder together, the mic and ground wires. That's what I did on mine before re-cabling them, that way I didn't need an extra part between the phones and the source (mp3 player, smartphone, whatever).
If you really need the cable, I believe there was something mentioned in the first few pages, on the cheap.

May 15, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #3,147 of 3,824
  If you're not planing on using the mic, you can just open the controls, and solder together, the mic and ground wires. That's what I did on mine before re-cabling them, that way I didn't need an extra part between the phones and the source (mp3 player, smartphone, whatever).
If you really need the cable, I believe there was something mentioned in the first few pages, on the cheap.

I don't care about the mic, if I can remove the controls even better:D is that a tutorial on how to do it ? I mean how do I recognize the wires?

May 15, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #3,149 of 3,824

I don't care about the mic, if I can remove the controls even better:D is that a tutorial on how to do it ? I mean how do I recognize the wires?

Quote:

Since nobody responded about that I decided to disassemble the microphone unit.
This is what I found out:

I am now thinking about removing the circuit board, soldering the mic+ground and putting the plastic case back together.

UPDATE: I did that. Now they work fine on every 3.5mm device but the left bud is still quieter so they are probably faulty....

In the first picture, you can see M- M+ on the left. Those are the pins you have to solder together. On the right, you have the Left channel, and behind the mic pins are the pins for the right channel.
Another way, is to put a zip tie over the mic button, so it stays pressed.
Or you can make your own adapter like luisdent said. I'm sure he can provide instructions for you 
wink.gif

May 15, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #3,150 of 3,824

Quote:

Since nobody responded about that I decided to disassemble the microphone unit.
This is what I found out:

I am now thinking about removing the circuit board, soldering the mic+ground and putting the plastic case back together.

UPDATE: I did that. Now they work fine on every 3.5mm device but the left bud is still quieter so they are probably faulty....

In the first picture, you can see M- M+ on the left. Those are the pins you have to solder together. On the right, you have the Left channel, and behind the mic pins are the pins for the right channel.
Another way, is to put a zip tie over the mic button, so it stays pressed.
Or you can make your own adapter like luisdent said. I'm sure he can provide instructions for you 
wink.gif

I already posted a while back on my blog about joining the mic/ground to fix the audio:

http://handtokey.blogspot.com/2013/11/converting-omtp-headphone-to-standard.html

With closeup photos. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back