[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Oct 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #256 of 3,824
They don't say they work with the Pantech Burst but I'm hoping they do though its not a big deal if they don't cuz I'm used to using my IEM's with no mic and just talking into the phone.  

I'm not expecting them to sound like a $250 or $300 IEM but if they're equivalent to the EPH-100 in terms of SQ than they'll be well worth it and them some.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #257 of 3,824
Quote:
I let my curiosity get the best of me. There is actually 2 pieces: mesh and foam. The mesh can be removed and replaced easily with an exacto knife. Inside the canal there is also a small foam piece. I removed the mesh and the foam and replaced the mesh. In this configuration you lose a ton of bass and they just do not sound the same. Then I tried replacing the foam and removing the mesh. In this configuration I feel it really opens everything up more and the bass is still really powerful. It does border on being a bit hot but I prefer this to the muted highs I experienced before the mod. I am leaving mine this way for now.

anyone who owns both the MH1(c) and JVC FXD80 care to do a comparison of them?
i mean, they are both driven by 5.8mm micro drivers and both are tuned by having a foam piece on top of the drivers

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #258 of 3,824
Quote:
They don't say they work with the Pantech Burst but I'm hoping they do though its not a big deal if they don't cuz I'm used to using my IEM's with no mic and just talking into the phone.  

I'm not expecting them to sound like a $250 or $300 IEM but if they're equivalent to the EPH-100 in terms of SQ than they'll be well worth it and them some.

So you are not expecting them to sound like a $250 IEM but you do expect them to sound like a $150 one?

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #259 of 3,824
I say that because they way ClieOS described them makes me think they might sound very similar and the fact he has said they sound as good as ones costing 3X as much as what he paid which I think is around $60 so I don't think thats not reasonable.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #260 of 3,824
I means 3X from MSRP of $80, so I think they are as good as some $240 IEM. But then again, there are some really excellent sub$200 (of the same level) as well but I think we can agree they are the out liner when you are comparing to the mainstream of IEM. EPH-100 for an example, I think they can easily price it up to $200+ when you compared it to Shure or Westone.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #261 of 3,824
By all means these need to be considered high quality sound.  For me it bests my fxd-80, from memory yes even better than the eph-100 got a lone of some gr07 (my old set) today and cant tell which one id rather have.  Being that i have lost most flavour for BA these days and am preffering dynamics (especially micro drivers) for me especially much prefer them to dba-02, meelecs etc.  The are just under my sm3 and tf10.

people will not believe it, im over spitting out people asking for a comparison with things like the 3580 fx-40 fxd-80 etc, there is just no comparison for me.  So much so im done, getting out finito with this game when iv sold off my stuff in my listings.  Iv decided on my final kit and this mh1 has its place in it, everything else must go.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #262 of 3,824
Yeah, the mh1c is really good and I would pick it over a lot of more expensive iems. Also, I never considered the eph-100 a $150 iem - it was sold in my local stores for like 65 bucks and around 90 online before all the hype started and the sellers raised its price.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #263 of 3,824
These things must be pretty damn good for these kind of opinions to be coming in, especially reading the user names associated with comments.

Sadly I won't be able to say for ages...

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #264 of 3,824
Quote:
These things must be pretty damn good for these kind of opinions to be coming in, especially reading the user names associated with comments.
Sadly I won't be able to say for ages...

Why the wait for them?  got my c3 in today loving it btw!

Quote:
Yeah, the mh1c is really good and I would pick it over a lot of more expensive iems. Also, I never considered the eph-100 a $150 iem - it was sold in my local stores for like 65 bucks and around 90 online before all the hype started and the sellers raised its price.

i consider the eph to beat out a lot of phones up to 150,  the mh1 though has a nicer top end which takes it.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #266 of 3,824
Quote:
i consider the eph to beat out a lot of phones up to 150,  the mh1 though has a nicer top end which takes it.

Well, I never said that the eph-100 isn't good for its money - it's just hard to justify people paying 150 bucks for it when it cost more than 2 times less before, especially now when you can grab like 6-7 pairs of mh1c for that money and be set for life (or until the GR08 comes out)

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #267 of 3,824
Quote:
Well, I never said that the eph-100 isn't good for its money - it's just hard to justify people paying 150 bucks for it when it cost more than 2 times less before, especially now when you can grab like 6-7 pairs of mh1c for that money and be set for life (or until the GR08 comes out)

For sure :D

Iv got 3 pair of mh1 sitting right here, stockpiling for nuclear winter I guess.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #268 of 3,824
Quote:

anyone who owns both the MH1(c) and JVC FXD80 care to do a comparison of them?
i mean, they are both driven by 5.8mm micro drivers and both are tuned by having a foam piece on top of the drivers

Someone might beat me to it, but it will take me until Friday (probably) before I can do a proper A/B. What I can say is that the D80 has outstanding instrument separation. So does the the MH1C. The MH1C may have a bit better front to back stage depth than the D80, but don't quote me on that at this point. There seems to be more boomy base in the MH1c, but I'm expecting that to get better with more burn-in. The D80 can sound great with various tips, but I tried to tip roll the MH1C with little success. It seems like it's meant to use its stock tips to produce the best sound. 

The MH1C may also have more sparkle and splash in the highs (not by much). I hear the D80 as more balanced earphone than the MH1C. And let me make it clear the sound signatures of the two are totally different. I think vocals in the D80 may be bit more forward than the MH1C, but both are great in reproduction glorious details in the music in abundance. That's it for right now.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #269 of 3,824
oh yeh and these little buggars really put a spanner in the works.  

Owning customs and high end iems alike, sq differences are so freaking minute that it really puts it into perspective that a lot of folk are going to plump out 100-1000 dollars more for something that is so small a difference, I dont know, in my head this hobby is beginning to look more like a waste of time, money and energy.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #270 of 3,824
Quote:
Someone might beat me to it, but it will take me until Friday (probably) before I can do a proper A/B.

You may as well do an A/B/C with the 70's as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back