[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Jun 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #2,341 of 3,824
I own one MH1~ and i would hv to agree that it sounds GREAT! For USD30 its superb... Personally I like this alot more than flagship XBA4, as i personal think that XBA4 treble abit too plastic? fake?

I prefer it over

1. X10 (brother's unit)
2. BA200 (still like it thou)
3. IE8 ori cable (sold now own IE80 + silver cable)
4. TF10 (treble too sharp) (brother's unit)
5. XBA4 (sold afterwards)
6. EPH10 (wanna sell it now)

etc...

some might suggest about refinement but sound signature (sometime) is more important to me~ 

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #2,342 of 3,824
Quote:
I own one MH1~ and i would hv to agree that it sounds GREAT! For USD30 its superb... Personally I like this alot more than flagship XBA4, as i personal think that XBA4 treble abit too plastic? fake?

I prefer it over

1. X10 (brother's unit)
2. BA200 (still like it thou)
3. IE8 ori cable (sold now own IE80 + silver cable)
4. TF10 (treble too sharp) (brother's unit)
5. XBA4 (sold afterwards)
6. EPH10 (wanna sell it now)

etc...

some might suggest about refinement but sound signature (sometime) is more important to me~ 

If you want same signature, but with more refinement and much better cable try XBA-30

Jun 14, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #2,343 of 3,824
Quote:
Does it crackle or play a bit of sound if you fiddle with the wire (especially where it terminates at the earpiece, remote, plug, etc)?
If so, it's a cable issue.

Otherwise people have reported moisture affecting one side which just needs a bit of drying out.

Had a go at recabling with MMCX connectors. The design of the strain relief makes it a bit difficult.

It doesn't play at all.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #2,345 of 3,824
Quote:
It doesn't play at all.

Have you checked it with a multimeter? If it's going to be recabled, a bit of destructive testing won't hurt as long as the housings are intact. Otherwise you might as well just buy another one, recabling is more expensive than buying a new one.

Quote:
the treble feels plastic/fake to me...

the only other sony IEM (still at store) i like will be the EX1000~

MH1C has a nice even treble response (when you can hear it above the bass). It's missing the sharp metallic peaks of some IEMs that some people call 'detail' but it sounds natural to me.

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #2,347 of 3,824
Ya that's y I like it so much compare to xba series...I jus can't stand the treble tone...

Usd30.... Seriously if only ppl realize its not about the price that justify an item performance

Have you checked it with a multimeter? If it's going to be recabled, a bit of destructive testing won't hurt as long as the housings are intact. Otherwise you might as well just buy another one, recabling is more expensive than buying a new one.

MH1C has a nice even treble response (when you can hear it above the bass). It's missing the sharp metallic peaks of some IEMs that some people call 'detail' but it sounds natural to me.

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #2,348 of 3,824
Ok,after 2 weeks my TRRS pinout changer finally arrived and what can i say?

It does work!

So i paid in total 10€ for this. I like the sound signature, guess because i am a beginner and not a audiophile. It's warm and yet detailled ,without sounding agressive or whatever you call it, from the lows to the highs.

What i don't like at all is that asymmetric cord.

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #2,349 of 3,824
Quote:

I don't have/know what a multimeter is. Sorry for the late reply!

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #2,350 of 3,824
I just tried again and now it is only playing out of the right ear. (the ear without the controller.) No amount of fiddling creates any sound out of the left. Any ideas?

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #2,352 of 3,824
Quote:
Cheapest to just buy a new one or recable if you want to. The multimeter is just used to test whether the circuit (wires and drivers) is still intact.

And how does one go about recabling?

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #2,353 of 3,824
Quote:
And how does one go about recabling?

Do you have a soldering iron, a cable, some heatshrink and a bit of soldering experience?

If your answer is yes (or yes soon), it isn't too hard.

Cut the cables off the earpieces and strip the wires. Remember the plain pink-ish coloured wire is the ground wire, the red one is the right channel, and the blue one is the left.
put heatshrink over the new cables, solder them on, stick something in between to prevent shorts, put the heatshrink over the solder joints and shrink them.

There are nice tutorials over in the DIY board here.

If you don't want to do it yourself, there are plenty of people who will do it for a fee, just search 'recable' in this subforum. Problem is unless you test the IEMs to make sure its a cable problem and not a driver problem, you might waste the money sending it over only to find it doesn't work. You might even buy a new set to send over if you really dislike the original cables.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #2,355 of 3,824
Hey po98 you might want to check that its not the jack that is faulty. You can test this by wiggling around the cable near the jack end to see any noticeable difference in sound. If so, you may need to get the jack replaced. Also check the connection within the entire cable and right before the headphone itself. Other than that it may be a driver that went faulty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back