[REVIEW] Shure SE215
Nov 19, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #166 of 296
Quote:
In your opinion, let's say for vocal (Allan Taylor), jazz (Adele), blues (Gary Moore), which is a better choice SE215 or SE 535?

Which one has a heavier bass, shure 215 vs 535?

I never listen to both side by side, but if my memory serve me right, SE215 has a little more bass in quantity. If price is no subject, I think I'll always prefer SE535.

Quote:
how do you compare se215 vs westone um1? they seem to have same prices, cuz im looking for a bassier one

Never listen to UM1 for enough time to tell you any thing useful, sorry.

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #169 of 296
I can say that 215 has a lot more and punchy bass than the UM1.
People buy UM1 for instrumental or vocal focused music, but bass just isn't it's strength, at all.
The bass in UM1 is solid, but severely lack extension and quantity.

A well ran-in 215 can give really captivating bass, with a good player as a premise, from my point of view.

I use my Cowon J3 with my 215 and it's a great combo.  The mids may be a bit retrieved (because of the player), but using the black olive tips can pretty much give sufficient mids. The highs have also better extension thanks to my J3.  But most of all, the bass sound is the true spotlight of this pair or earphones. 

I also own a 535, and i can say they are two distinct earphones, neither of them can be modified to have a similar sound to the other one.

I would say the smooth and rich nature of the mids remain the same for both earphones.  535 has significantly brighter vocals than the 215, especially female vocal e.g. Avril Lavigne, Taylor Swift etc.  215 is quite behind of 535 in terms of female vocal, but shines when it comes to male vocals.  Songs from e.g. Michael Buble will sound more melting from the 215.  The bass from 535 somewhat lacks quantity and punchiness.  The bass extension is there but can rather be felt than heard, while rich, detailed and solid bass is produced from the 215.  The bass from 215 will not dominate over the other frequencies if olive tips are used.  The sound stage on both earphones are equally wide, in my opinion, 215 have more depth of the soundstage, but with an undistinguished contour.  In comparison, the soundstage in 535 has a clear outline and have slightly more height than the 215.

All of these features may vary depending on the music device you use, and certainly with amp on.

In general, one would choose 215 for their bass and warm & comfy sound base, and 535 for vocals and for listening to a larger variety of songs thanks to it's high analytical ability.

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #171 of 296
Quote:
Any idea about material used in the stock cable from SE215?
Is it made of gold-plated copper or silver?
So far anyone has tried the custom cable on the SE215?

You are thinking too much. They are probably just good old OFC that does the job well enough.I really won't bother with custom cable since most of them cost more than the IEM itself.

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #174 of 296
Quote:
Among the Shure IEMs as mentioned below, which one has the widest sound stage & detail separation?

SE215LTD
SE215
SE315
SE425
SE535LTD
SE535

The chance that someone has all of them and give them a critical listening at the same time is slim to none. You might find someone, if you are very lucky, that has listened to all of them at different time, but comparison using memory is really not useful most of the time.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #175 of 296
Im looking at the Audeo Perfect Bass PFE 022, The sony MH1C, the Rockit R-50, The Etymotic H5 and the Shure 215i. My main music source will probably be my iPhone or my Mac. Which of these do you recommend? Im really stuck here, as there are so many to choose from, and im sure ill be satisfied with any one of them. I really just want the best bang for my buck here. I listen to almost every genre of music, from rap to hip hop to country to jazz, and i just really want something i can be satisfied with. I do tend to overwork my headphones a lot and usually fall asleep with them on, so comfortability and durability is a must, BUT sound of course must come first. I like that all of these have inline mic controls so you can take that out of the equation. I do like quality OVER quantity of the bass, as long as the bass is present, not overwhelming, but strong and impactful in a good way. Please help me im going crazy over which ones to choose.. 

Nov 24, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #176 of 296
R-50 is the best sounding of all them, the most balanced as well so it should works out well for you.

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #178 of 296
Quote:
R-50 is the best sounding of all them, the most balanced as well so it should works out well for you.

Thanks for your input. My only gripe about them is the absence of inline mic and controls, and i will probably use my iPhone as my main source of music. Do you think the Shure SE215i's will make up for their sound with the mic controls? do you think with a good EQ i can achieve the sound i want? I would get the R-50s, but right now im leaning more towards the shure 215i's for their mic control..

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #179 of 296
There isn't an EQ I know that can turn a SE215 to be as good sounding as R50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back