[REVIEW] Shure SE215
Aug 17, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #151 of 296
Thanks a lot! Appreciate it.
I am thinking of upgrading. And I would love suggestions. Here is what I am thinking.
1. Vsonic GR01 for classical (lot of details)
2. GR07 for everything else (jazz and rock)

How would you compare the GR07 to Westone UM3?

I was also thinking of the TF10s but am not sure where would they fit in. May be for rock?
I mostly listen to rock, jazz, contemporary jazz, and alternative rock.

Will the TF10s be harsh?
I would like thank you for the most comprehensive IEM review that exists in this world. Great job!

Edit: I was just about to purchase the GR07s from lendmeurears on ebay but realized that they increased the price from $159 to $195! Is it a typo or is it for real? Would anybody know?

I don't think you need both GR01 and GR07. Personally I will just get the GR01 because it is technically slightly more balanced than GR07.

Never listen to GR07 and UM3X at the same time, but I'll put UM3X just a little ahead of GR07 and on the same level as TDK BA200.

TF10 is for those who enjoy good soundstage. Treble can be a little bright but usually foam tip will tame it to just the right level for me. Unless you are into upfront vocal, I'll say TF10 is usually quite good with most music genre, especially classical and instrumental.

The $150 price tag is probably the sale price for the old GR07 as they are clearing stock. The actual MSRP is around $180 or so, depends on the exchange rate.

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #152 of 296
Hi, Thinking of getting this , Shure SE215. However,

1. Is it durable ? How long does the Shure SE215 owners own this without it breaking apart in any way.

2. When you guys are out, do you guys use, pack it into the case before shoving them in ur pocket or backpack, or just ignore the case. As I understand, this is a huge factor for durability. (I have to admit, I tend to ignore the case , hehe!)

I want to make sure that this iem would last for 2 years to me,this is my first time buying a near $100 iem. 
L3000.gif

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #153 of 296
As far as durability goes, as I have mentioned on the first page in the review, as long as you don't have any cable issue when first receipt, I don't think you will have much problem later on. Cable is generally the first thing to go in normal use, and you can replace it yourself if it did break later on (though the cable isn't cheap).

I always put it back to the case after use. The more care you take, the longer an IEM will last.

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #154 of 296
IMO the durability is quite good for these, the cable is on the thicker side and the L jack that terminates it is quite massive; I don't see it breaking anytime soon.  I know that in an earlier batch that they had some issues with the connection at the earpiece but I think they've since worked that out and I haven't had any trouble.  I run/workout with these as well so they can pretty much handle whatever you throw at them .  I'll admit, I don't bother with the case either 

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #156 of 296
It is called special edition, not limited edition. Like SE535LE, which is limited to Asia, the SE215SPE might also limited to Asia only, at least for now.

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #157 of 296
It is called special edition, not limited edition. Like SE535LE, which is limited to Asia, the SE215SPE might also limited to Asia only, at least for now.

They are available at EarphoneSolutions here:

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-se215-blue-ltd.html

According to the description:

"Available in a distinctive translucent blue color, only a small quantity of these earphones will be available at select retail for a limited period of time."

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #158 of 296
They are available at EarphoneSolutions here:
http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-se215-blue-ltd.html
According to the description:
"Available in a distinctive translucent blue color, only a small quantity of these earphones will be available at select retail for a limited period of time."

My bad. Thanks for the info.

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #159 of 296
thanks for the tip! I see that they dont have shipping option to philippines :frowning2:

Ill try to contact them if they can send here in my country, but if not, ill try to find another source. thanks guys!

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #160 of 296
Quote:

Hi ClieOS,
Your review is great and you have a great knowledge about SHure IEM!

I would like to get your opinion what is the most significant different in term of sound signature between Shure SE 215 (normal edition) and Shure SE 535 (normal edition)?
I plan to use it on iPod classic or Sansa Fuse without portable amp.

Hope to hear from you.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #161 of 296
I didn't compared SE535 and SE215 directly before, so take this with a grain of salt - but to me, they both fall within the same Shure house sound that is warm with a good vocal presentation. SE535 has a thicker, more textured mid while the upper vocal is more grainy. The biggest difference to me will be that SE535 is fuller and has more detail between the notes. More refined overall but still within the same sound signature as SE215.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #162 of 296
Quote:
I didn't compared SE535 and SE215 directly before, so take this with a grain of salt - but to me, they both fall within the same Shure house sound that is warm with a good vocal presentation. SE535 has a thicker, more textured mid while the upper vocal is more grainy. The biggest difference to me will be that SE535 is fuller and has more detail between the notes. More refined overall but still within the same sound signature as SE215.

Is it possible to further enhance the sound quality in SE215 for example like increase the sound stage, detail separation, treble & bass by replacing the stock cable with custom cable? Any recommendation?

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #163 of 296
May be, may be not - it depends on the electrical characteristic of the replacement cable (mainly the impedance). It can also worsen the SQ as well. However, replacement custom cable is generally too expensive to warrant the risk. You'll better off saving the money for better sounding IEM. One thing that can be certain is that you can't make SE215 sounds like SE535 by using a custom cable.

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #164 of 296
Quote:
May be, may be not - it depends on the electrical characteristic of the replacement cable (mainly the impedance). It can also worsen the SQ as well. However, replacement custom cable is generally too expensive to warrant the risk. You'll better off saving the money for better sounding IEM. One thing that can be certain is that you can't make SE215 sounds like SE535 by using a custom cable.

In your opinion, let's say for vocal (Allan Taylor), jazz (Adele), blues (Gary Moore), which is a better choice SE215 or SE 535?

Which one has a heavier bass, shure 215 vs 535?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back