[REVIEW] Shure SE215
Mar 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #91 of 296
I haven't listened to SF3 so it is not easy for me to recommend another IEM for you. But I'll say you should be looking for balanced armature IEM in the future (except for Siren based, since they can be more dynamic like). As a generally good choice, I'll recommend you look into Phonak or Westone.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #92 of 296

Quote:
I haven't listened to SF3 so it is not easy for me to recommend another IEM for you. But I'll say you should be looking for balanced armature IEM in the future (except for Siren based, since they can be more dynamic like). As a generally good choice, I'll recommend you look into Phonak or Westone.

thank you. i'd really like the option of removable cables though... i don't think i want to buy the sf3s again. had them for almost 3 years, time to change. will etymotics be too flat (basswise) for my tastes? i already started a classified for the shures, i am pretty sure they will not be sold though, at least at the price i want, so i'll probably end up keeping them, but if they do get sold, man will I have a hard time diciding on a new pair... there's really no way to audition any of them, so i have absolutely no idea how i will combine the quality and sound i want, with perfect isolation and removable cables, in a BA driver...

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #93 of 296
Etymotic isn't known for its bass for sure, but this is largely depended on individual's taste. Phonak will make for a good alternative for Etymotic if you like analytical sound but wanted some slightly better in bass.

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #95 of 296
I have listened to W2, W3 and W4, but not W1. I like RE0 as I consider myself more or less an analytical listener, but I also used it with amp most of the time and never find it to be particularly bass light. But it definitely isn't bass heavy either. From a slightly weak source, the bass can be just a bit sloppy and undefined.

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #99 of 296

Quote:
Would you recommend the Shure SE215 to a person who is buying his first pair of "high end" IEM in the sub 150$ price range ?

It depends largely on what kind of sound you are looking for, but I really won't recommend SE215 for a $150 budget. For around $160 or so, you can get really good IEM like VSONIC GR07, Phonak PFE111, FutureSonics Atro MG7, HiFiMan RE262, etc. If you are on a very strict budget and want to save some money, then SE215 makes good sense.

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #100 of 296

Quote:
It depends largely on what kind of sound you are looking for, but I really won't recommend SE215 for a $150 budget. For around $160 or so, you can get really good IEM like VSONIC GR07, Phonak PFE111, FutureSonics Atro MG7, HiFiMan RE262, etc. If you are on a very strict budget and want to save some money, then SE215 makes good sense.

I will only splash more than 150$ if the earphones genuinely give the bang for the buck
I don't really know how to describe what i like because well i always owned 20$ sony/sennheisers

One thing i like is bass but i will not call myself a basshead. I like my bass to have impact but not at the cost of the mids.
I usually listen to all kinds of genres except probably jazz and classical.
Also to be noted is that i am not planning to buy an amp for the earphones and will be using either my Sony NW-HD5 or my iPhone

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #101 of 296

Quote:
I will only splash more than 150$ if the earphones genuinely give the bang for the buck
I don't really know how to describe what i like because well i always owned 20$ sony/sennheisers

One thing i like is bass but i will not call myself a basshead. I like my bass to have impact but not at the cost of the mids.
I usually listen to all kinds of genres except probably jazz and classical.
Also to be noted is that i am not planning to buy an amp for the earphones and will be using either my Sony NW-HD5 or my iPhone

hd5 has a wonderfull soundstage, they just don't make players like this anymore. i own a 20gb nw-hd3, which is even older, and it sounds amazing... if only you could drag and drop....

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #103 of 296

Quote:

i cannot get phonaks to be shipped to Greece. to be honest, i don't really like the design of the atrios, the vsonics are wonderfully looking, but dynamic? (you said i should buy armatures, i know you are not recommending those models to me personnaly, i just looked at them..) vsonics look amazing and i can get them in greece but the 50 ohms impedance worries me that i will need an amp to use with them. am i right? i would really like to avoid the use of the amp (thanks by the way for the advie before, i really do not want to buy the e6) and correct me if i am wrond, with 50 ohm impedance you WILL need one right? re262 is also very high on impedance i see... i just came back from the gym and i have to say that the 215s are not all bad by no means. they have many +, i got them from a local dealer who assured me that i will be covered for the 2 upcoming years with shure warranty, anything that gets broken i can replace it (modular), isolation is really good, and they can fit well under a helmet.. i just wish i could like their sound quality a little bit more... can you recommend headphones for me? most probably ba's as you previously said, and possibly with removable cables and over the ears that "dissapear within the dimensions of your ear (i.e. do not stick out) when you wear them?

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #105 of 296
Another cost when buying the TF10 is a better cable. So that makes the overall price go up. The stock cable just blows. Since it sounds like you have shipping eating into your budget, might want to get something else where you dont need to buy a new cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back