[REVIEW] Shure SE215
Feb 17, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #61 of 296
More or less for the same price i have the chance of getting a SE215 or a SE420. Since it was long ago i settled for the 'armature' signature sound i don't know if getting the SE215 i'll get that typical dynamic driver bass with long decay time that masks lot of details of the music. My main iem is a UM3x and i'd use these ones just for doing exercise and for holidays trips.

I was leaning for the SE215 cause i thought durability would be better than that of the SE420 but it seems that Shure still struggle to get the cable right.

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #63 of 296

Quote:
More or less for the same price i have the chance of getting a SE215 or a SE420. Since it was long ago i settled for the 'armature' signature sound i don't know if getting the SE215 i'll get that typical dynamic driver bass with long decay time that masks lot of details of the music. My main iem is a UM3x and i'd use these ones just for doing exercise and for holidays trips.

I was leaning for the SE215 cause i thought durability would be better than that of the SE420 but it seems that Shure still struggle to get the cable right.

Durability of SE420 is excellent despite the non-detachable cables, it shape is just perfect for a deeeeeeeeep fit into ear canals.
But compared to SE215 (micro-driver based), the SE420s sound really flat and lifeless.

You may find SE420 slightly boring if you like your UM3X.
But as you stated, SE215 will have some shortcomings as well.
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #64 of 296

Quote:

The cable might be just fine. I think it has more to do with the connector on the earpieces' side.

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #65 of 296
I think so too... the connector is just a snap-in not a screw-type. Now I am getting very cautious when fitting it in my ear.

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #66 of 296
nice review man, thank you for sharing. just bought these, still burning them in (suggestions on how long i should??)... god the cable is tooooooo long (suggestions on reducing that rediculous length?).... :frowning2: i found shorter replacements on ebay but i wouldnt like anything to damage my brand new earphones, nor to pay an extra 30$ as of now...

Feb 26, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #67 of 296
I actually like the length of cable myself. Slightly longer is always better than slightly shorter. for me.

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #69 of 296

Quote:
I actually like the length of cable myself. Slightly longer is always better than slightly shorter. for me.

well i want them for the gym, and i can't have the xtra part of the cable just exceeding out, might get caught somewhere and be ruined....

soundwise: can't say much really... i am burning them in now, any ideas on how long i should do that for? i just leave my mp3 player playing with them.. can't say i am impressed with their sound out of the box.. everything is there, but no SURPRISES! any special sounds to burn them in with? or how long do i do that for? is my music (hip hop) ok for burning in?

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #70 of 296
I've tried a few IEMs with MSRP 2-3x the SE215 and they are still my favorite sounding phones, mostly because of the sound sig. The Klipsch X10 was nice too, and admittedly more technically capable all-around, but it was just too polite for me; the W3, on the other hand, had midbass that kind of insisted on itself too much and was too forcedly aggressive for me. The SE215 knows when to be gentle and when to get up in your face. Gotta love those Shure mids, too :) I'm dying for them to release a more capable dual micro-dynamic with a similar signature; it would be my dream IEM :)

Quote:
These are the BEST earphones under $100!

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #71 of 296

Quote:
Durability of SE420 is excellent despite the non-detachable cables, it shape is just perfect for a deeeeeeeeep fit into ear canals.
But compared to SE215 (micro-driver based), the SE420s sound really flat and lifeless.

You may find SE420 slightly boring if you like your UM3X.
But as you stated, SE215 will have some shortcomings as well.
wink.gif

Actually they make for relaxed listenings against the muscle of the UM3x close presentation. I'm enjoying them both for different moments. Whenever i want to rock i go with the UM3x and when i want to chill i grab for the SE420.

I think that SE420 is a very good iem that strives for reference sound. And when is driven by an amp with low output impedance it does sound very good to these ears. And isolation wise they are superb.

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #72 of 296

Quote:
well i want them for the gym, and i can't have the xtra part of the cable just exceeding out, might get caught somewhere and be ruined....

soundwise: can't say much really... i am burning them in now, any ideas on how long i should do that for? i just leave my mp3 player playing with them.. can't say i am impressed with their sound out of the box.. everything is there, but no SURPRISES! any special sounds to burn them in with? or how long do i do that for? is my music (hip hop) ok for burning in?

can someone please reply to me about the burn-in method i am using? so far, still no love or crazyness towards them, i find them simple. Gilly, i used to own the image x5 and i can tell you there is absolutely no comparison with the shures, i find the x5 to be one of the best and more detailed (in every aspect) headphones i have owned, unfortunately though, they were sold, because they just stick too much out of the ear, and i do understand the "gentle" characteristic that you used, they do feel much more vulnerable to hard use, gym etc. and i wanted an all rounder that can be "hidden" in your ear, be used for the gym, have replacable parts (not just cables) and that can be worn under a helmet (for my summer bike trips). that is why i went with the 215s, they are now burning in for more than 48 hours, and i still can't find a surprising aspect. no comparison with the klipsh. any ideas on good burn in? why do i feel that they are not THAT good...? also, i noticed that when turning the volume up or down, you need three "clicks" (scales) in your device to notice a big difference. is that because of the rather high impedance, or because of the rather low db that those carry? my sf3s were 13 ohms as opposed to 20, and 113 dbs as opposed to 107 of shure.. therefore i am using more battery on my player, don't care so much about that, i am just mentioning it...

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #73 of 296
Never find burn-in to be needed for SE215, but if you like, I would think 50 hours of continuous music playback on slightly louder than listening volume usually do the trick for me.

SE215 is good for the price, but I don't think you can say it is top-tier's SQ. That won't change with burn-in. 20 ohm is actually quite an low impedance, 13 ohm is actually what I would say to be 'too low' for many common source because it tends to suck up too much current. The higher the impedance, the less current needed (but more voltage for louder volume).

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #74 of 296
ok then, so you are saying that tonight i should stop the burn in, and those will be the headphones i will have for the next few years huh? so no more change in sound? oh well... i am not that pleased. i sincerely hope that this will change in the future, as many have said, and that i will find them to be more of my liking, as time goes by..

so why bother burning them in then, since "that won't change with burn in" ??

i didn't understand your explanation on the ohms but thanks anyway. all i know is that my sf3's were more immediate to a change of volume, and sucked up less battery from my player. worth to mention here, i am always unamped.

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #75 of 296
ok then, so you are saying that tonight i should stop the burn in, and those will be the headphones i will have for the next few years huh? so no more change in sound? oh well... i am not that pleased. i sincerely hope that this will change in the future, as many have said, and that i will find them to be more of my liking, as time goes by..

so why bother burning them in then, since "that won't change with burn in" ??

i didn't understand your explanation on the ohms but thanks anyway. all i know is that my sf3's were more immediate to a change of volume, and sucked up less battery from my player. worth to mention here, i am always unamped.

I have had similar impressions of the SE215. I believe mine are probably due to SE215 being dynamic when I am coming from a BA. Seeing that you've mentioned the SF3 and X5, both of which are armatures, I would not be surprised if you just are not missing the detail of a BA. If that is the case, the SE215 will never "wow" you like a BA will no matter how much you burn it in. That said, if you give it a chance, you might learn to like the natural smoothness of the dynamic. It sound more realistic than a BA. Either that or you should return it and get another BA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back