Review: Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue for the Shure SE846
Mar 18, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #136 of 436
  Regardless of the reviews (both negative and positive) of the antiseptic wipes you linked to, my opinion is that any wipes that you have to pay for isn't the best fiscal and cleaning decision.  With the wipes you will not be able to get inside every single crevice of the SCS to clean them properly. To save money, it is advisable to just use warm water and mild soap.  You can fully clean the SCS inside and out, using the warm water to flow through the ear canal tubes/openings, making sure the SCS gets a thorough cleaning.  Avoid any chemical that is abrasive or anything that can change the color or properties of the SCS.  Warm water (I use warm-hot) and mild soap is all you need to clean the SCS.

Thanks, moedawg140.  I guess I was being lazy.  Thought it would be easier to just keep wipes available, rather than having to schlep to the bathroom to wash them after each use.  Thanks for the update.

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #137 of 436

What he said. What you are cleaning mostly is bodily secretions (oils) from the sleeves so that they don't become slippery and icky. This is why you use mild soap, as soap is a good emulsifier of oils and will wash them right out (also acts as a surfactant, which lowers surface tension of water, so water can get through the narrow sleeve canal and clean better). Isopropyl alcohol is a fine choice as well since it does have some non-polar dissolving capabilities, but its not necessary especially if it costs extra. 

I thought I read somewhere that alcohol was a serious no-no.  That was why I was looking for a non-alcohol solution with the wipes.  No problem, though.  You and moedawg have convinced me that soap and water is the way to go.  Thanks.

Mar 19, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #138 of 436

The time to clean them in warm water AND rinse them in cold is around 60 to ninety seconds. An eternity if you are waiting for water to boil but it just flies by like its 45 seconds for this most onerous of tasks :wink:

Remember to dry them off with paper towel and then leave them out to air dry so no moisture remains inside.

When rinsing them I run them under a cold tap so the water goes in the big end and shoots out the tiny hole at the hole  from whence the music emanates (tiny hole is I believe the correct technical terminology)/. This ensures that all the soapy water and whatever particulate/scum/detritus that  is caught up in it has been completely removed.

Personally I wish I took as much care about keeping my car clean as I do the SCS.    

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #140 of 436

These little beauties showed up today (crystal purple, but they almost look blue in the pic)

Looks great! Any fit/sound impressions thus far?

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #142 of 436
  moedawg - fit and isolation is outstanding BUT sound quality is lacking, sounds muffled - that's the only way I can describe it.  Perhaps I have a defective mold or something

Definitely bring it back while you're in the 30 days. It should not sound muffled at all. 

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #143 of 436
  moedawg - fit and isolation is outstanding BUT sound quality is lacking, sounds muffled - that's the only way I can describe it.  Perhaps I have a defective mold or something

Definitely bring it back while you're in the 30 days. It should not sound muffled at all. 

I agree with cuiter23 wholeheartedly.  Contact Claudia (saveyourears@sensaphonics.com) as soon as you can, and she can help you out with a refit/replacement.  Please make sure to follow up with your results as well.

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #145 of 436
Don't despair yet. I recently received my SCS and experienced similar results until I played around with the position of the nozzle going into the small canal which in my case took a sharp turn about where the nozzle tip ended. After twisting the mount I finally attained nirvana with these custom esrpieces. YMMV. GOOD LUCK

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #147 of 436
Is there anything stuck in the scs? When I got my first pair the scs went too far in my left canal and my earwax was deposited in the scs the sound was muted compared to my right.

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #150 of 436
Reply from Sensaphonics (Stan):  "That sometimes comes up for people who order custom sleeves in color. If you mail those back to us, we will happily fix and ship those back to you at no charge. This is our standard fit warranty. To be safe, I would send back the impressions too, if our lab decides it'd be best to remake them. If we go with that route, you'd be put at the front of our queue and turn-around will be expedited. I don't think your particular issue will come to this, though. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back