Review: Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue for the Shure SE846
Mar 16, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #121 of 436

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try to clean them often (still a big improvement, i remember getting the half shell ones last year and right after i got them they started falling off). As for color I went with the default clear :p. i actually like it clear, makes it look cool when you can see the components inside.

No worries.  Cleaning them will be a necessity in the future for sure.

What IEM are you using with the SCS?  I see in your signature that you own the SE530.  Are you using the SE530 with the SCS?  Do you have any photos?  Thanks in advance. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #122 of 436
Just to clarify, to clean these I will need to:

1. remove the sleeves from the IEM first
2. apply hand soap on the outside and also inside of the shell
3. rinse off with cold water

Just want to confirm before I damage anything. Also thanks Moedawg for keeping this thread alive more people should know about this! :)

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #123 of 436

No worries.  Cleaning them will be a necessity in the future for sure.

What IEM are you using with the SCS?  I see in your signature that you own the SE530.  Are you using the SE530 with the SCS?  Do you have any photos?  Thanks in advance. 

I'm using them with my SE846's. Used to have the 535s, and the 2c before that. The 535's broke and didn't want to pay 200+ to get them repaired and got new ones instead, lol. Also, thank god they made these things detachable, I've had to get my 535's replaced so many times bc the cord wore out. 

Also the memory portion of the wire is awful with the custom sleeves, as you've mentioned. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #124 of 436

I'm using them with my SE846's. Used to have the 535s, and the 2c before that. The 535's broke and didn't want to pay 200+ to get them repaired and got new ones instead, lol. Also, thank got they made these things detachable, I've had to get my 535's replaced so many times bc the cord wore out. 

Also the memory portion of the wire is awful with the custom sleeves, as you've mentioned. 

Okay, thanks for the info and picture...I guess your current signature is pretty misleading then 
redface.gif

normal_smile .gif

Yeah, the memory wire was pretty unbearable for me, removing them helped out regarding comfort exponentially.  Looks like it's time for you to remove the memory wire...if you decide to go through with it, good luck - shouldn't be difficult at all.  

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #125 of 436
  Just got my full shell sleeves, and they are fantastic. About 10x better than the half shell ones i got last year. Sound quality/isolation is about the same, marginally better with the full shell. However, the full shell envelopes over the entire earbud drivers, and seems like they would never fall out on its own. The half shell only covered 60% of the earbud, and fell out all the time (how i lost one). For the new ones I have to put real effort to separate the sleeves from the earbuds. Big ups.

Congratulations!  I was fitted today.  Process was a little different than I expected, but not drastically so. The audiologist made the impressions, filled out the paper (and noted my choice of colors (blue/black swirl), dropped my impressions in a box, and then in a FedEx envelope.  Said she expected them back in about 3 weeks, and then she'd bring me back in to try them on.  I pay when everything is satisfactory.  She estimates the full cost (her services plus the cost of the sleeves) to be about $250-260.  Sounds like her cut is about $50 for making the impressions.

Noon appointment - I'm out the door at 12:26p.  

The wait begins.

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #126 of 436
  Congratulations!  I was fitted today.  Process was a little different than I expected, but not drastically so. The audiologist made the impressions, filled out the paper (and noted my choice of colors (blue/black swirl), dropped my impressions in a box, and then in a FedEx envelope.  Said she expected them back in about 3 weeks, and then she'd bring me back in to try them on.  I pay when everything is satisfactory.  She estimates the full cost (her services plus the cost of the sleeves) to be about $250-260.  Sounds like her cut is about $50 for making the impressions.

The wait begins.

It's going to be a long 3 weeks my friend. When i had it done last year they also had me do a hearing test, so my visit was a bit longer. Well worth the wait, hope it works out well for you. P.S. they double duty as ear plugs, works wonders when you need to concentrate. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #127 of 436

It's going to be a long 3 weeks my friend. When i had it done last year they also had me do a hearing test, so my visit was a bit longer. Well worth the wait, hope it works out well for you. P.S. they double duty as ear plugs, works wonders when you need to concentrate. 

I had read of other audiologists performing a hearing test, so I was really expecting it.  I'm hoping they surprise me and get them out earlier.

Did yours come straight to you, or were they also returned to the audiologist?

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #128 of 436
  I had read of other audiologists performing a hearing test, so I was really expecting it.  I'm hoping they surprise me and get them out earlier.

Did yours come straight to you, or were they also returned to the audiologist?

I live in Chicago, so I got the impression done at Sensaphonics' offices, then I picked them up there. It will be beneficial for you to pick them up from the audiologist, as it is not intuitive how you should insert them into your ears. The audiologist will show you how to insert them and make sure they fit properly. I was actually lucky because i had a fit issue with my left sleeve, and i just took it to their office and they took care of it right away. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #129 of 436
  I live in Chicago, so I got the impression done at Sensaphonics' offices, then I picked them up there. It will be beneficial for you to pick them up from the audiologist, as it is not intuitive how you would to insert them into your ears. The audiologist will show you how to insert them and make sure they fit properly. I was actually lucky because i had a fit issue with my left sleeve, and i just took it to their office and they took care of it right away. 

Wow, that's impressive!  Glad to hear you're enjoying them.  I'm looking forward to getting mine and enjoying them as much.  I'm hoping for a first-time perfect fit.

Mar 17, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #130 of 436
  Just to clarify, to clean these I will need to:

1. remove the sleeves from the IEM first
2. apply hand soap on the outside and also inside of the shell
3. rinse off with cold water

Just want to confirm before I damage anything. Also thanks Moedawg for keeping this thread alive more people should know about this! :)

1.  Most definitely, wouldn't want to clean the sleeves while they are still on the IEMs!  Oh my!  
2.  Mild soap, be it hand soap or otherwise, is sufficient.
3.  I like to use warm water to make it slightly easier to clean the cerumen, dirt and dander that is inside and outside of the SCS.

As long as members post their experiences and questions, the thread shouldn't be perishing anytime soon.  Even if the lurkers just lurk, I'm just happy that people may receive some useful information from all of the members that do post!  

The wait begins.

$50 - $60 is a great price for impressions!  Looking forward to seeing the blue/black swirl as well.  I bet it's going to look legit!

The SCS is perfect for when you need to concentrate and tune everything else in the world completely out.  I use the SE846 + SCS and listen to the "Intense Studying" playlist on Spotify to crank out the essays and assignments that are often due while I'm currently obtaining my Masters.

I live in Chicago, so I got the impression done at Sensaphonics' offices, then I picked them up there. It will be beneficial for you to pick them up from the audiologist, as it is not intuitive how you should insert them into your ears. The audiologist will show you how to insert them and make sure they fit properly. I was actually lucky because i had a fit issue with my left sleeve, and i just took it to their office and they took care of it right away. 

Awesome that you were able to go to Sensaphonics' headquarters, very nice!  If you are accustomed to inserting CIEMs (or even if you aren't), the SCS isn't very difficult to insert into your ears.  You'll know it's inserted correctly once the SCS feels deep and comfortable inside of your ears.  Just insert and slightly twist the SCS towards you, making sure the cymba/crus helix portion of the SCS is seated inside of the cymba.  Adding lubricant if it is difficult to insert makes the SCS slide in very easily.  After the initial insertion, you may not need to use any lubricant, especially if you have mastered how to insert the SCS inside of your ears without any issues. 

Wow, that's impressive!  Glad to hear you're enjoying them.  I'm looking forward to getting mine and enjoying them as much.  I'm hoping for a first-time perfect fit.

A first time perfect fit would be fabulous, but if you do run into any fit issues, you have 30 days to have Sensaphonics remake/refit the SCS for you, for free.  My cauliflower right ear required a refit regarding the SCS, but the refit proved to be the best fit that I have ever felt regarding universals and everything else as well.

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #131 of 436

1.  Most definitely, wouldn't want to clean the sleeves while they are still on the IEMs!  Oh my!  
3.  I like to use warm water to make it slightly easier to clean the cerumen, dirt and dander that is inside and outside of the SCS.

As long as members post their experiences and questions, the thread shouldn't be perishing anytime soon.  Even if the lurkers just lurk, I'm just happy that people may receive some useful information from all of the members that do post!  

$50 - $60 is a great price for impressions!  Looking forward to seeing the blue/black swirl as well.  I bet it's going to look legit!

The SCS is perfect for when you need to concentrate and tune everything else in the world completely out.  I use the SE846 + SCS and listen to the "Intense Studying" playlist on Spotify to crank out the essays and assignments that are often due while I'm currently obtaining my Masters.

Awesome that you were able to go to Sensaphonics' headquarters, very nice!  If you are accustomed to inserting CIEMs (or even if you aren't), the SCS isn't very difficult to insert into your ears.  You'll know it's inserted correctly once the SCS feels deep and comfortable inside of your ears.  Just insert and slightly twist the SCS towards you, making sure the cymba/crus helix portion of the SCS is seated inside of the cymba.  Adding lubricant if it is difficult to insert makes the SCS slide in very easily.  After the initial insertion, you may not need to use any lubricant, especially if you have mastered how to insert the SCS inside of your ears without any issues. 

A first time perfect fit would be fabulous, but if you do run into any fit issues, you have 30 days to have Sensaphonics remake/refit the SCS for you, for free.  My cauliflower right ear required a refit regarding the SCS, but the refit proved to be the best fit that I have ever felt regarding universals and everything else as well.

Thanks! I definitely need to give these a good cleaning.

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #132 of 436

I was thinking of trying these: http://www.amazon.com/Antiseptic-Wipe-Benzalkonium-First-Wipes/dp/B000F4SNNW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1426653073&sr=1-1&keywords=antiseptic+wipes

What do you think?

Other than alcohol, what would you avoid when cleaning them?

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #133 of 436
Originally Posted by Jazzi 

I was thinking of trying these: http://www.amazon.com/Antiseptic-Wipe-Benzalkonium-First-Wipes/dp/B000F4SNNW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1426653073&sr=1-1&keywords=antiseptic+wipes

What do you think?

Regardless of the reviews (both negative and positive) of the antiseptic wipes you linked to, my opinion is that any wipes that you have to pay for isn't the best fiscal and cleaning decision.  With the wipes you will not be able to get inside every single crevice of the SCS to clean them properly. To save money, it is advisable to just use warm water and mild soap.  You can fully clean the SCS inside and out, using the warm water to flow through the ear canal tubes/openings, making sure the SCS gets a thorough cleaning.  Avoid any chemical that is abrasive or anything that can change the color or properties of the SCS.  Warm water (I use warm-hot) and mild soap is all you need to clean the SCS.

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #134 of 436
  Regardless of the reviews (both negative and positive) of the antiseptic wipes you linked to, my opinion is that any wipes that you have to pay for isn't the best fiscal and cleaning decision.  With the wipes you will not be able to get inside every single crevice of the SCS to clean them properly. To save money, it is advisable to just use warm water and mild soap.  You can fully clean the SCS inside and out, using the warm water to flow through the ear canal tubes/openings, making sure the SCS gets a thorough cleaning.  Avoid any chemical that is abrasive or anything that can change the color or properties of the SCS.  Warm water (I use warm-hot) and mild soap is all you need to clean the SCS.

What he said. What you are cleaning mostly is bodily secretions (oils) from the sleeves so that they don't become slippery and icky. This is why you use mild soap, as soap is a good emulsifier of oils and will wash them right out (also acts as a surfactant, which lowers surface tension of water, so water can get through the narrow sleeve canal and clean better). Isopropyl alcohol is a fine choice as well since it does have some non-polar dissolving capabilities, but its not necessary especially if it costs extra. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #135 of 436
Originally Posted by Jazzi 

What do you think?

Quote:

What he said. What you are cleaning mostly is bodily secretions (oils) from the sleeves so that they don't become slippery and icky. This is why you use mild soap, as soap is a good emulsifier of oils and will wash them right out (also acts as a surfactant, which lowers surface tension of water, so water can get through the narrow sleeve canal and clean better). Isopropyl alcohol is a fine choice as well since it does have some non-polar dissolving capabilities, but its not necessary especially if it costs extra. 

I was going to reply with my own thoughts of using alcohol to clean the SCS (not advisable to use it because alcohol tears/breaks down the silicone), but wanted to get complete confirmation from Claudia first before posting.  She states: "no rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide as it eats away at the silicone and lacquer. Their best bet for cleaning the sleeves is a degreasing dishwashing liquid (I found Dawn works best) and hot water. If they are really greasy or oily then give them a long soak and a scrub and rinse with hot water. 

The rule of thumb is that if they are willing to wash their face or dishes with it then they can wash their sleeves with it."

Warm to hot water and mild degreasing liquid like Dawn is the way to go to get the SCS as clean as possible and still keep its full molecular composition and effectiveness. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back