Review: Sennheiser PX200 vs Sennheiser HD238 vs Beats by Dre Solo
Oct 18, 2010 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mufc4everch

New Head-Fier
Alright so I have all three of these headphones and have decided to do a review for the them, all headphones have had over 200 hours of listening time so the sound should be good

First, I'll talk about the price

Sennheiser PX200 (white)               Suggested retail price of 100$ Canadian

http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/112/160

Beats by Dre Solo                             Suggested retail price of 279.99$ Canadian

http://beatsbydre.com/int/products/Products.aspx?pid=B5505

Sennheiser HD238                           Suggested retail price of 139.99$ Canadian

http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/1018/43

Well as you can see there is a large price difference between the beats and the sennheiser headphones

I rate the headphones on 4 factors (Look and comfort, Build, Portability, Sound)

1. Look and comfort

The sennheiser px200's (white) don't look that nice as they are very small headphones and can get dirt very easily. Also, they are closed headphones and the little ear cover can begin to hurt quite a bit after 1-2 hours of listening --- 5/10)

The beats look great, the logo on the outside is really nice and the whole packaging is nice, but the dull dark color is a bit of a turnoff. On the other hand the beats are quite comfortable to the ear, they are on ear headphones and generally fit me great without any pain after a couple hours of listening ---- (8/1)

The HD238's look beautiful in my opinion, they have a nice black cover over them (unlike the dull one of the Beats) and they have the nice silver cover over the ears, the Sennheiser logo also shows some class. As for the comfort, these things are a dream, while the other headphones do start to hurt after about 4-5 hours of listening these things never seem to hurt, they fit like a glove 

(10/10)

Winner = HD238's

2. Build

The sennheiser px200 have a very weak frame and break very easily (and have done so -headband-). The build quality is very low and the flimsy wire is very easy to break---- (3/10)

The beats look like they have a nice strong build, but again the headband is weak and also has broken on me, however the cord is detacable (and thus replaceable) and quite sturdy ---- (8/10)

The HD238's also have a weak build (stronger than the 200's but weaker than the beats) and the wire is much much too thin (I had to tape it)

(6/10)

Winner = Beats

3. Portability

This is where the 200's shine, they are built for the portability and they get the job done, they are very small and foldable into a size so small that they easily fit into my pocket and are my primary uses on the go

(10/10)

The beats are also foldable but they have a bigger build which makes them harder to carry and also I do not feel comfortable taking them to school in my bag because of the possibility of breaking (not a worry with the 200's) ----(7.5/10)

The HD's are not foldable and thus are very incovientient to carry around, this means it's harder to take them places, however they are quite small so they are wearable around the neck---- (6/10)

Winner = PX200's

4. Sound

The 200's have a nice sound for closed small headphones and even though they don't pack much bass they are good for me (don't like bass). They have good middles but not the best high's and lows. They are also good at not leaking too much noise and can work to isolate your from the environment if you put them high enough ---- (8/10)

The beats have excellent bass and too my basshead friends they sound great, They have okay middle and pretty good highs and lows. They have a problem that they make the background noise far too high though, they make the vocalist hard to hear (a problem except for classical music). They are very good at isolating the noise but they do leak a little bit (as expected) world---- (7/10)

The HD's have a very nice sound and sound great all around. They probably don't have as good bass as the beats but still overall the sound is on another level. They leak quite a bit of noise as they are open headphones, but they are the best to use at home and sound awesome.

(9.5/10)

Winner = HD238's

Overall:

The overall winner is the HD238, not only because it won the most, but also because the most important things in headphones is sound and these blow the other away (even though the beats double them).

Best home phones = HD238's
Best portable phones = PX200's

I am very dissapointed with the beats and have to say that they are definetly not worth the price. 

Thanks for reading,

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 6
The HD238 does not come with buttons, that is the difference between it and the 238i. And I would not recommend it for jogging as the cord is very thin and not detachable (could get caught on something). Even though these are marketed as portable headphones, they are more suited for home use (no folding or anything).

For jogging I would reccomend the koss portapro- have lifetime warranty and still provide great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back