[REVIEW] Sennheiser MX580 / MX581 – Fraternal Twins, Equally Fabulous.
Sep 12, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #16 of 36
Definitely. Both earbuds are a class above MX500. You are right too on the MX550 (and MX450 too). It doesn't sound any where as good as the MX500 which it was meant to replace.
Quote:
For someone who has MX500, are those worthy upgrade ? (I think MX550 is a downgrade.) Thank you.

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #17 of 36

Quote:
if you were to consider the build quality and accessories, MX580/581 are certain the bigger bangs of the bucks [vs the pk3]

x2. At least going by its street value, the pk3 sells for $40, while the mx581 can be purchased for $23 on amazon.

Sep 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #18 of 36
Thanks for the review, ClieOS!

I had been looking for relatively inexpensive earbuds to replace my stock Apple earbuds, and after reading such positive reviews for the MX581, I decided to purchase them.

Unfortunately, I'm just not getting a very nice sound from them. I believe it has to do with the fit because the Apple earbuds fit very nicely; they seem to sit almost directly over the canal. The MX581's, on the other hand, seem to sit "higher" in my ear, off to the side of the canal. I think that the "bulbous" housing may be to blame. Compared to the Apple earbuds, the MX581's are much quieter and almost sound tinny. This is why I'm led to believe that fit is the issue, although I'm going to give them a little more time to break in.

So, what I am wondering is, should I return the MX581's and get the MX580's? They look like they'll fit better because they don't have that bulbous type of housing.

Alternatively, should I spend an extra $15 and get the Yuin PK3's? The earbud housing is simple, similar to the Apple earbuds, so I'm sure they'll fit nicely; however, many people seem to think that the MX580's have surpassed the PK3's in general SQ.

...Perhaps I should've just made a new thread. :x

Sep 28, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #19 of 36
Since you said it is 'quieter and almost sound tinny', my suspicion is that you are not getting a good fit, likely because your outer ear is a little too big for the smaller earpiece. There should be some silicone rings in the MX581 package as well. You can try putting the rings on the transducer housing and put the foam pad over it, see if it make any difference.If you still can't get a good fit after that, then perhaps MX580, which is larger in size, will fit you.

Sep 29, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #20 of 36
Thanks for the quick response!

I tried using both the foam pads and the rubber rings, and although the foam pads did improve the sound quality, they still didn't fit comfortably. So, I've ordered the MX580's; hopefully they'll fit better than the 581's! It's a shame that the 581's didn't fit because I really like the design and cable quality...oh well, it doesn't matter how good they look if they don't sound good. :p

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #21 of 36
I just got mine today, I have been listening to classical since I got them with no burn it.  I love them!  I have the MX400's that I was using in the office and at home so I can hear external sounds.  I am planning on leaving them over the long weekend to burn in.  Thanks for turning me on to these ClieOS!  I am one happy head-fi'er.

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #22 of 36
Have you had the sennheiser omx 95 vc II?

Quote:
Since you said it is 'quieter and almost sound tinny', my suspicion is that you are not getting a good fit, likely because your outer ear is a little too big for the smaller earpiece. There should be some silicone rings in the MX581 package as well. You can try putting the rings on the transducer housing and put the foam pad over it, see if it make any difference.If you still can't get a good fit after that, then perhaps MX580, which is larger in size, will fit you.

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #24 of 36
For what it's worth, I bought my son the MX581's and compared them to my PK2's.  Having read good things about the Sennheisers, I hoped the sound would be close.  It's not close.  The PK2's sound much better -- fuller sounding, better bass response, and much better clarity.  The MX581's sounded cheap to me.

I am still curious about the MX880, though, and wonder if they are a big improvement over the 580/581.

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #25 of 36
Somehow I missed this thread... :p

Quote:
Have you had the sennheiser omx 95 vc II?

No. Haven't paid much attention to Senn lately since they are way too expensive locally.

Quote:
For what it's worth, I bought my son the MX581's and compared them to my PK2's.  Having read good things about the Sennheisers, I hoped the sound would be close.  It's not close.  The PK2's sound much better -- fuller sounding, better bass response, and much better clarity.  The MX581's sounded cheap to me.

MX581 is closer to PK3 IMO, so not surprising that you don't find ti as good as PK2.

May 18, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #27 of 36
Quick update.  I got a set of MX880's.  Wanted to be able to compare them with the PK2.  The MX880 is very good. The fit is a bit odd but it's OK.  In terms of sound quality, the bass is there, in contrast to the MX581.  The MX880 is on par with, and arguably better than, the PK2.  At this point my earbud ranking would be --

MX8880 >= PK2 > PK3 >> MX581 >= Apple buds > MX500

I would consider the MX980 at some point but I've never seen a good head to head comparison between the 880 and the 980.  It would have to be pretty good to justify the price jump.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #29 of 36
does anyone know where to get foam pads like the ones of the mx581? they're thicker compared to the pk's. i heard the ones mx 880 are even more thicker. 
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back