REVIEW: Sennheiser CX280 - CX Series Redefined
Aug 4, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #16 of 39
[size=medium]It start to make sense now, i guess the spec 18hz on those buds speaks something about bass that we musn't very much ignore.[/size]
[size=medium]Perhaps MX580(18hz) just sounded less bassier than CX280(19hz) due to more shows up mids and highs in overall mix on MX580. And CX270(the same 19hz) is advertised even bassier which i guess only in impression, not in term of bass dosage, just rather because of recession in high extension. [/size]

[size=medium]What interest me from your CX280 is that larger soundstage, airy, improvements from previous CX and........the lacking cohesion - bit too separated which a bit odd you mentioned which indeed i like it so much (MX760 fanboy). I will stick with these series but perhaps with higher class CX870 (the only available here and CX270) or something with 18-22khz for more satisfying low/high in tight budget. Will submit the proposal to my wife (she's tough!).[/size]

[size=medium]Thanks again.[/size]

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #17 of 39
I do agree that the MX580's mids tend make their bass quantity to less apparent, but even then I feel the CX280 has more bass and also extends deeper.  I wouldn't take too much stock in the released specs for the reasons jant71 and I discussed earlier.  Just trust your ears.

I mentioned the soundstage / separation / cohesion partially because people have different preferences, and also because those traits are directly linked to fit, which is crucial toward getting the best sound out of the CX280.  This is part of the reason I feel it would have been nice if Sennheiser packed in some other tips besides just the usual single-flanges.  Even after two months of ownership, I still occasionally have some issues with fit; when I get it just right it sounds excellent, but when the seal is inadequate the cohesion, bass response, and smoothness of treble suffers greatly.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #20 of 39
I should be able contribute something to this thread(in about a week) as I just scored a pair of CX281 for $11.50($15 with shipping). Searched CX to see what was there and they were there with an hour left.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #21 of 39

Quote:
I should be able contribute something to this thread(in about a week) as I just scored a pair of CX281 for $11.50($15 with shipping). Searched CX to see what was there and they were there with an hour left.

thats a pretty good deal!
it sells for $50 here in our country
sucks

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #22 of 39
I think I've finally got to a point where I can get the right fit consistently.  Proper fit lends to better cohesion at the expense of some soundstage width, and the midrange is less recessed.  There still seems to be a little bit of harshness up top, but overall I'm still quite fond of the sound these put out.

Quote:

Wow, great find!  I'm definitely interested in your impressions, particularly to see if the differing housings have any affect on the sound.  Hopefully they'll provide a better fit too on top of the improved cables.

Quote:
thats a pretty good deal! it sells for $50 here in our country
sucks

That's actually the price most retailers are offering the CX280/281 for here in the US.  Even though I'm thoroughly enjoying my CX280s, I feel it's a tougher sell at $50 since it's such a crowded and competitive price range.  If it was available at closer to $40 (which is incidentally closer to what I paid), Sennheiser could have hit on their hands.  If only it was easier to achieve the right fit...

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #23 of 39
I got the CX281 today...

Definitely a new, still sealed one. The only difference with accessories is the pouch is red and it comes with a headphone splitter. Who uses them though? Better to include a clip, more tips or both.

Nice that the L/R markings are engraved in but there is also a dot to indicate the left side. But as you can see above, the shape is all you need to tell them apart. The stem of the housing goes toward the front, bulbous part towards the back of the head. Should become habit fairly quick.

I find the fit quite easy, very flush(I can lay on them), and very stable from the start. The housings are quite larger than the CX250 but the shape seems good. The length of the housing make for an easier fit since they aren't as shallow or short as the CX250/280.

Very clear phone with quick punchy bass. Well separated and like kjk1281 says more treble and detail is brought in over the CX250. Nice extension and a bit mid forward at this point(10 minutes in).

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #24 of 39
Wow, that was pretty quick shipping.  Thanks for the first impressions jant71!

In the pic, it almost seems that the CX281's housings are larger than the CX280's.  However, I have to say the design is far better in my opinion.  Looking forward to further impressions!

Somewhat off-topic: I'm starting to think that the CX280 housing is partially comprised of the same parts as the old JBL Reference 220, particularly the front portion of the housing.  The rear design is a bit different, though the overall shape and size seem to be quite similar.  From memory however the two sound(ed) quite dissimilar, so they're definitely not identical.

I wish I had more pics of the Reference 220, which is no longer in my possession.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #25 of 39
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I ended up here while looking for reviews on a few IEM models and this review of the CX280s sparked my interest.

But it left me with a small doubt regarding the outside noise isolation. Isolation is important to me because I ride the train a lot and it can get noisy and distract from the music (I had a pair of Bose In-Ear which sucked for train rides...). You said that even with good seal the isolation isn't very good, do you think it would do badly in a train? I know this can be subjective, I'm just trying to get an opinion from someone who tried it.

Do you know how the isolation compares to other models like the CX400-II? I can get that model for the same price as the CX280, although I get the feeling (based on your review) that the 280 have a clearer sound. 

Sep 7, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #26 of 39
Hey HellHitZ!  Welcome to Head-Fi!

I honestly can't recommend the CX280 for isolation on noisier train rides.  Though at first glance it doesn't seem to different compared to other CX series canalphones, the rear port/vent greatly reduces the amount of isolation.  I personally think the CX280 provides enough isolation for a short bus ride, but I certainly wouldn't use them on louder forms of transportation like subways or airplanes.

Oct 25, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #27 of 39
hello! On friday I got this to replace and improve my cx300s I had been using them at work for 4 years, well I feel the fit is tighter :S my ears are crying I have all day using them they definitely feel like they are bigger  
etysmile.gif
   it hurts,  im analyzing a refund and stay with cx300s.... 

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #29 of 39
Just got a pair of these phones as a gift.  I can only really compare these to my Apple IEM phones (the current model) and my Linkwitz Orion loudspeakers.  Voices do seem distant and the midrange is lacking some "meat".  I think I am hearing a coloration, at least compared to the Apples and Orions, that the treble is set too high or is too extended, causing the midrange to seem lacking.  Perhaps I'll get used to the sound, but I think a rolled off high end sounds more natural (similar to an Audyssey EQ curve) rather than flat all the way up to 20khz.  These phones sound a bit like Monitor Audio speakers.  The extended treble can sound very detailed, but ultimately it's not my cup of tea.  Too unnatural. 

Otherwise though, the sound is very controlled, especially in the bass region.  More clean than the Apple IEMs, which can be a little woolley in the bass.  Sibilance is well in control, so these do not seem harsh at all.  Wish these had a microphone for use with a cell phone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back