[REVIEW] Rock-IT R-50: Yes Another TWFK
Oct 24, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #16 of 33
Very nice review. I too have DB-02's so I appreciated your insightful comments. It would be interesting to see an article/review comparing a number of the IEM's sporting the Knowles TWFK drivers.  

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #17 of 33
Well yes that is what i wanted to do and i have a three way comparison between the UE700, DBA-02 and R-50 in the OP and i think that is the closest to anything official by anyone. I hope to add to my TWFK collection, bare in mind my 4.Ai uses a TWFK in it!

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #20 of 33
sorry for the delay. I can not comment for glasses as do not wear them but these have memory wire and i prefer them not to for sleep. However it is not as bad memory wire as other IEMs have. if you want a similar sound thats great for both sleep and glasses though then get the UE700 which can be worn down and over the ear!

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #21 of 33
Hmm, ok, thanks for replying. I knew about the UE700, but they cost more and they seem less good.
I don't know if I should buy these or not. I think their sound meets my tastes (except for sub-bass and aesthetics, but I can close an eye if I have got good highs and mids), but the only real thing that stop me from buying them is the glasses problem. I need glasses and I don't know if I can wear these when over my ear when I've already got some other things without getting too much unconfortable.

For the sleeping thing, it was mainly a kind of an "itch" and so it's not very important but if they are comfortable like this guy said, well, even better.

One more thing I will add is that I have experienced that the R-50 can be very ergonomically suitable to use when going to sleep, and I don't mean at work!, but right before I normally go to sleep, since I can lay on one side or the other and they don't really bother me at all. When I wake up they are still in my ears which is very uncommon for me with most other IEM's.

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #22 of 33
I got my R50s for Christmas last year and love the sound quality, it took about an hour to get used to how they sound compared to the Shure SE215. There are a couple of issues, the sound isolation is not as good as the 215s and I think that is the due to the enclosure. I live by a Marine air base and fighter jets fly by pretty low and I can hear the jets louder with the R50s more than with the 215s. I'm using the foam tips from my 215s which work much better than the stock tips that came with them. there's better base and can hear more detail.
The cable is problematic as it's really thin and tangles quite a bit. I had the left IEM go out on me and had to send them back which was a $25 dollar fee and a week or more wait to get the replacements. I've had the new set for about a month now and I'm hoping these will not have the same problem as the original pair. I'm not to keen on the memory wire used they are kind of weak and don't really hold there shape as well as the 215s. Other than these issues I love the sound. It takes about an hour to for my ears to adjust when switching from the 215s to the R50s.
It's a totally different sound experience more detailed and less base heavy compared to the 215s.

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #23 of 33
I would really like to try these but I'm very concerned about the built quality since many people reporting that they get a dead side with only a few months use.

Does anybody know if there's been any changes to the original design to make them more durable?

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #24 of 33
There will be a modified version that is expected in July/June that is going to supposedly improve the cable and address the durability issue according to Rocky from Rockit Sounds.

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:
There will be a modified version that is expected in July/June that is going to supposedly improve the cable and address the durability issue according to Rocky from Rockit Sounds.

Just the answer I was looking for, thank you.

Only problem is to wait
mad.gif

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #29 of 33
I have the r50 for few days nw...I think their value is really great. The instruments are separated very well. Soundstage could be better. They are just average. Bt the sound quality is great. Mids and treble is reproduced well bt does not bring out the naturalness of the sound. Bass is accurate and does not drown out the other sounds. Not for basshead though. All in all, I love them!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back