Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system
Mar 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #377 of 911
32ohm load: 3.83v peak voltage 230mW RMS

50ohm load: 4.64v peak voltage 215mW RMS

300ohm load: 6.75v peak voltage 76mW RMS

600ohm load: 7.07v peak voltage 42mW RMS

Just noted the power ratings on this Amp. That doesn't seem like a whole lot of power for an Amp of this caliber... Is that going to be sufficient to power Planar Magnetics and the like to their fullest?

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #378 of 911
I think the specs have changed from the original prototype, which is where those numbers come from. There was talk about beefing up the output and lowering the output impedance. I know for sure the latter happened, and I'm fairly certain of the former.

I'll have to look around or ask them. But I have an LCD-2, HE-400, HE-500, and Thunderpants here and they all sound extremely good from the Invicta. Even more so in balanced mode. So I don't think there is any shortage here.

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #379 of 911
Quote:
I think the specs have changed from the original prototype, which is where those numbers come from. There was talk about beefing up the output and lowering the output impedance. I know for sure the latter happened, and I'm fairly certain of the former.

I'll have to look around or ask them. But I have an LCD-2, HE-400, HE-500, and Thunderpants here and they all sound extremely good from the Invicta. Even more so in balanced mode. So I don't think there is any shortage here.

It looks like an amazing All-in-one which is the type of system I am currently seeking. I have a DACMini at present and it's got about 1 Watt at 50 Ohms comparatively. It's a great little rig, but for my purposes it not quite enough power for me. It gets fairly strident if I push it too far.

I just ordered a Burson Conductor (showing up tomorrow) after researching the market for the most powerful all-in-one I could find. I missed this one the first time around but not sure I would have considered it based on the Specs alone. Sounds like it works well with the HE500s though and that would be my main concern. It's probably got better gain adjustment than the DACmini which is fixed at +8 dB. 

DAC Mini Specs:
32 ohm =  1.5 W
50 ohm = 1.0 W
300 ohm = 480 mW
600 ohm = 260 mW

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #380 of 911

So did Resonessence Labs add baalanced output from the headphone amplifier?

This DAC is definitely on my long term wanted list, personally either a second hand unit or a local distibuter might push things forward but at the moment the Invicta would cost around $5000 landed, so patience isn't that hard to come by.

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #381 of 911
The new software adds the abillity to use both headphones outputs to produce a balanced output. Ie. Left channel will be powered by one headphone jack and the right channel by the other jack.(this function is toggled in the settings)

You will need an adapter to convert from two TRS plugs into what ever balance connection you like.

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #382 of 911
Hi Project86,

With all the tweaks that the Invicta has undergone, wouldn't it be a good idea to do second review? The recently released Benchmark media DAC 2 HGC would certainly provide a great point of comparison for the more recent and definitive edition of the Invicta, as it features some really fabulous specs and several new features in comparison to the DAC 1.

Is there any chance that you could review the Violectric V100 in the future? I think the V100 has been generally neglected by reviewers, although it certainly deserves a fair chance.

Cheers!

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #383 of 911
Quote:
Hi Project86,

With all the tweaks that the Invicta has undergone, wouldn't it be a good idea to do second review? The recently released Benchmark media DAC 2 HGC would certainly provide a great point of comparison for the more recent and definitive edition of the Invicta, as it features some really fabulous specs and several new features in comparison to the DAC 1.

Is there any chance that you could review the Violectric V100 in the future? I think the V100 has been generally neglected by reviewers, although it certainly deserves a fair chance.

Cheers!

It's definitely something I've considered. I'm really backed up on reviews at the moment, both for this site and for InnerFidelity. But when things clear up I will see what else I can do. And a redone Invicta review as well as a V100 review both makes sense. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #384 of 911
That sounds like good news! A second review of the current version of the Invicta would be a very welcome, and so would one of your thorough reviews of Violectric's V100 Amp.

A couple of questions:

- Do you think it would make sense to take a look at at the 24/96 DAC module that one can have built-in to the V100 and V200, while reviewing the V100?
- Have you considered giving the Benchmark DAC 2 HGC  a chance to test itself against your reference DACs (Anedio D2, Violectric  V800 and Resonessence Invicta? It appears to have the chops to compete closesly with the three of them.

Cheers!

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #385 of 911
I'm interested in the crossfeed technology. And I'm wondering if it is possible for the Resonessence Labs to design a "crossfeed" filter, or incoporate a crossfeed feature on top on each existing filter.

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #386 of 911
Quote:
I just installed the latest Invicta software upgrade and tried out my HD800s in balanced mode, and I must say that it works extremely well, essentially confirming project86's impressions that he noted above.   Again the most obvious change from SE was an enhanced spatial presentation and an overall impression of greater drive and dynamic range, and clearly shows an advantage to driving the HD800s in balanced mode.   Overall I consider this to be a very impressive accomplishment by the Resonessence folks.   

twsmith, now that more than one month has passed since you have been listening in differential mode, do you maintain your initial impressions? Have you tested listening again with only one output, to compare?

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #387 of 911
twsmith, now that more than one month has passed since you have been listening in differential mode, do you maintain your initial impressions? Have you tested listening again with only one output, to compare?

Still have same impression, and I did go back to single-ended and feel that balanced is indeed better.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #388 of 911
Quote:
Still have same impression, and I did go back to single-ended and feel that balanced is indeed better.

Me too. I'm so spoiled by the balanced Invicta that I sometimes don't want to bother with my other amps. I still use it for single ended with my CIEMs, and I don't think there would be any benefit to balanced in those cases since they need so little power to drive them. But for big headphones it's a definite no-brainer - spend a bit on a balanced cable, get the adapter for Invicta, and enjoy a reference level amp without actually having to buy a separate reference level amp. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #390 of 911
Quote:

Me too. I'm so spoiled by the balanced Invicta that I sometimes don't want to bother with my other amps. I still use it for single ended with my CIEMs, and I don't think there would be any benefit to balanced in those cases since they need so little power to drive them. But for big headphones it's a definite no-brainer - spend a bit on a balanced cable, get the adapter for Invicta, and enjoy a reference level amp without actually having to buy a separate reference level amp. 

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm joining the "club". I've ordered an adaptor from TAM Audio, and Cardas Balanced XLR cables for HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back