Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system
Apr 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #410 of 911
Apr 24, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #413 of 911
I received my Invicta yesterday. My first impression was that this thing is built like a tank. 

So far I'm still testing it out. Can't say much for the moment.

I wonder if anyone has been able to play DSD via Foobar over USB with Windows 7? I get it to play dsd, but it crackles like hell. From the SD Card it works perfectly.

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #414 of 911
Quote:
I received my Invicta yesterday. My first impression was that this thing is built like a tank. 

So far I'm still testing it out. Can't say much for the moment.

I wonder if anyone has been able to play DSD via Foobar over USB with Windows 7? I get it to play dsd, but it crackles like hell. From the SD Card it works perfectly.

To be honest, I've never tried DSD directly from USB. My music server doesn't get along very well with Invicta (among other DACs) so I use an Audiophilleo to bridge it to SPDIF, which means no DSD. So when I want to play the few DSD tracks I own, I use the SD reader. 

One of these days I'll give it a shot and see. 

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #415 of 911
I am a relatively new member of head-fi and have read through the entire Invicta thread as well as the entire Anedio D1 and D2 threads. I ended up purchasing a D2 DAC in mid February. I have been enjoying it, but it has fed my desire for even better sound!

I purchased the Audiophilio 1 USB to SPDIF converter, with the Pure Power option. It is a nice upgrade from the D2 by itself. I also plugged everything into a Power Wedge 116, which combined with a PS Audio Noise Harvester, quite dramatically cleaned up my system's sound (As a long time audiophile I was pleasantly surprised at the imp

I listen mainly through speakers (Opera Callas), sourced from a 2012 Mac Mini with a 960 GB SSD (no moving parts). I also listen to my Oppo BDP-83SE sometimes or a Magnum Dynalab Étude tuner. Since I got the D2, I have brought out an older pair of Sennheiser 580 headphones and really enjoyed those when its too late to turn up the stereo : )

Unfortunately, the D2 won't play any DSD files and I am going to convert my roughly 50 SACDs to files that I can put on the Mac Mini. So, I have been very interested in the Invicta....

On top of it all, they are just a few hours up the road from me!

Yesterday I called Resonessence with a question about using the Invicta with my AP1 with PP and received a call back from Martin. He suggested that I wait a few weeks as they are coming out with a new model and it might suit my needs even more than the standard Invicta.

They will be announcing the new model shortly, once all of the initial issues are taken care of. I believe that we will see it in mid May.

Sorry to go on so long, but I wanted to introduce myself as well as let you know about some exciting news!

Don

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #417 of 911
I don't believe that it will be a souped up Concero. He told me that it would be called the Invicta Mirus and would not have a headphone input, but would use a second Sabre 9018 DAC, to create a higher end DAC, I also believe that he said that would be four DACs per channel, but I was driving home from work and talking via the blue tooth unit in my car, so I am going strictly from memory - so I may have some details wrong. Also, due to the increased cost of the second DAC, the price will be higher on the Mirus.

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #419 of 911
I think that I will put my Anedio D2 up for sale once the new model is announced.

I think that the new model will compete with the big boys, like Meitner

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #420 of 911
According to their twitter feed, not only are they going to release a new higher-end DAC, but they've also modified a little bit the Invicta. Apparently they'll now use the ES9018 for the headphone board and "there is more tweaks also".

I do hope this won't be a completely silent, under the hood upgrade - I quite dislike this practice from manufacturers, especially if sound quality may be involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back