Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system
Apr 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #436 of 911
An update that may be important for the existing INVICTA, depending on the evolution of the music market, would be for the USB input to support PCM up to 24 or 32/384 and DSD128.

I would really like to see 32/384 PCM added as well as DSD 128. I don't have any of those recordings yet.... But would like the ability to play those, after having spent 5k on a DAC.

I bought the Sony SCD-777 when SACD first came out and I really liked the sound quality of the SACDS. My favourite was Friday Night In San Francisco. It was a lot better than the gold, remastered cd that Sony sold for $35.

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #437 of 911
Quote:

This is an idea that Resonessence is definitely aware of. As far as I know they haven't really moved on it yet due to the Concero HD/HP and new Invicta range taking all their resources. But it is for sure on their radar. There is a lot of work that went into Invicta in terms of the subsystems for reading SD files - it's built from scratch specifically for audio purposes, rather than using Linux or some other pre-existing software. 

I guess all that's needed is for enough people to show interest and that might help get the ball rolling. 

Would love a dedicated SD/SSD transport in a Concero form factor.  Couple it with a Concero HP, and I'd likely be done for a while.

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #438 of 911
Quote:
Would love a dedicated SD/SSD transport in a Concero form factor.  Couple it with a Concero HP, and I'd likely be done for a while.

This.

Although I wouldn't mind if it had to be a bit larger, which could facilitate more real estate for a display. 

I've been pointing out to Mark and the team at Resonessence - the market for "streaming audio" type players is full of stuff with built in hard drives, network connections, CD drives for built in ripping.... most of them cost well over $1k. The Auraliti PK90 and PK100 are the only ones I can think of that eschew all those extras and focus on SQ for a reasonable price. Unless we count some of the eBay stuff like QLS QA660 and that sort of thing. 

Personally I like the way my PK90 does it - direct USB hard drive connection for my library, network connection only to support iPad controller. I suppose I could do SD cards but my library is 2TB so that would be a hassle. 

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #439 of 911
Quote:

I can't imagine it being forced for all users - the dual headphone jacks with independent volume control was very much a selling point and I doubt they would arbitrarily decide that most people want balanced drive instead. But we'll see - my unit should be arriving later in the week (fingers crossed) and they were kind enough to load up a Beta firmware with balanced out. My adapter is still being made but I'll at least be able to check in the menu and see if it shows as an option or not. 

hi project86, 

I just got my Invicta and confused about  "the dual headphone jacks with independent volume control". True, the two hp jackets work independently, however I do not find the volume can be independent. Any magic to enable that function?

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #440 of 911
Need help on the USB set-up. 

I connect the Invicta to my computer (windows 7 64bit, usb 2.0), the computer recognized the invicta immediately. But when I tried to install the driver which comes with the dac, it just keeps asking me to plug in the invicta which is, however, already connected. Anyone had the same problem?
thanks. 

Michael 

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #441 of 911
Quote:
Need help on the USB set-up. 

I connect the Invicta to my computer (windows 7 64bit, usb 2.0), the computer recognized the invicta immediately. But when I tried to install the driver which comes with the dac, it just keeps asking me to plug in the invicta which is, however, already connected. Anyone had the same problem?
thanks. 

Michael 

Hi Michael

Make sure you go into USB Audio mode on the Invicta first and then try loading the driver

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #443 of 911
Quote:
hi project86, 

I just got my Invicta and confused about  "the dual headphone jacks with independent volume control". True, the two hp jackets work independently, however I do not find the volume can be independent. Any magic to enable that function?

Hold down the button above the headphone jack, and it will switch to a screen allowing individual adjustment for that jack only. Pretty cool!

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #446 of 911
Quote:

I could have sworn the recent update brought USB capabilities up to 24/384, though I can't say I've checked that personally. Also, I thought they had claimed DSD128 support was coming in the near future but now I can't find it anywhere so maybe I dreamed that part. I can confirm that DSD128 does not work at this moment, at least with the files I have played through the SD Card reader. 

But this is all easy stuff for them to update, and I'm sure it will all be set sooner than later. 

That would require a display as well as a control panel, which I'm not sure would comfortably fit on a device that small. I can see the appeal but it just doesn't seem feasible to me. 

It does not need to get bigger, just needs the HDMI output for a separate display.

I agree with others though, that the best solution might be a stand alone product that can output to any DAC. 

I'll buy one.

Mark

May 16, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #448 of 911
I had a dream:  a "Battery operated" INVICTA.

Indeed, since the invicta already has SD reader & AMP on board, adding on-board battery will make the  highest-end DAP on the market... 
very_evil_smiley.gif
   (plus... battery operated means even lower background noise)

May 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #449 of 911
http://resonessencelabs.com/may-16th-2013-press-release/

INVICTA MIRUS ADDED TO THE INVICTA FAMILY OF AUDIO DACs
Resonessence Labs is proud to announce an addition to the INVICTA family of products. INVICTA Mirus will start
shipping later this month. The Mirus is targeted at audiophiles who listen to their music collection exclusively in a hi-
fi amplifier and quality loudspeaker settings, and to that end the INVICTA Mirus has two ESS Sabre 9018 chips
running in parallel providing a total of EIGHT 32 bit DACs per channel resulting in unprecedented performance. 
Additionally, INVICTA and INVICTA Mirus have received firmware and hardware upgrades and can now
accommodate DSD and DXD as well as 352.8kS/S and 384kS/S playback capabilities over both USB and the SD card
reader. 
To demonstrate our continued commitment to our existing customers, we will be releasing a firmware upgrade
compatible with all earlier generation INVICTA products that adds the same DSD, DXD, 352.8kS/S and 384kS/S
capabilities to those machines. These enhancements demonstrate our commitment to keeping our products current and
future proof. It is also a testimony to our initial design philosophy of creating systems that are both state of the art for
today, and flexible for future field upgrades.
The new INVICTA and INVICTA Mirus are priced at $4,995 and will start shipping at the end of May. Orders can be
placed online or via one of our international dealers.
Mark Mallinson,
President, Resonessence Labs

May 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #450 of 911
Anyone have any impressions how the SR-009 pairs with the Invictus?

Have that and a BHSE on order which won't be ready for another 2-3 months, thinking about adding a Mirus into the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back