Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system
Feb 21, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #346 of 911
Quote:
Thanks for the impression P86. I've heard Invicta (2 weeks at home) and Eximus (briefly) but never heard pwd yet, i'd probably heard it next week at the store. It's good to know people's opinion first before i go listen. I never heard amp on Eximus though.

I am quite a detail freak (non fatiguing type one).
How would you think pwd mkii detail retrieval compared to Invicta and Audio Gd Ref. 7.1? I am trying to compare to something that I am familiar with.

PWD MkII should be a bit below Invicta in terms of detail retrieval. Note that this will require a really nice setup to notice the difference - many differences are small when you get to this level.

I only ever heard the Reference 7 and not the 7.1, so I can't comment on that. Ref 7 was great but not on the level of the PWD MkII or Invicta (but I'd prefer it to the Eximus).

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #347 of 911
Quote:

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Invicta. There's getting to be quite a few of us these days :)

Have you tried DSD quality files yet - even straight off the SD card? You'll love it - the best of the best!

Happy listening .....

Thanks ZagatoV12.    I downloaded some tracks from Bluecoast records and they are really nice.   Hope more music will come in this format soon.    

Feb 22, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #348 of 911
PWD MkII should be a bit below Invicta in terms of detail retrieval. Note that this will require a really nice setup to notice the difference - many differences are small when you get to this level.

I only ever heard the Reference 7 and not the 7.1, so I can't comment on that. Ref 7 was great but not on the level of the PWD MkII or Invicta (but I'd prefer it to the Eximus).

Thanks again P86 :)
Looks like I have to check on pwd mkii.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #349 of 911
Quote:
Thanks again P86
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks like I have to check on pwd mkii.

No problem. 

Another thing that makes me weary about it is the constant listings around here and on Agon. Perhaps it's merely a byproduct of being a popular brand/model, but I seem to see far more of them available used than most others. Even brand new ones are often available at some type of discount. That makes me wonder. Like the brand new PS Audio NuWave (which I didn't care for much) selling for $999 msrp but easily available at discounts from several resellers right out of the gate. 

Am I crazy for thinking this? Maybe. Probably. All I know is that I wouldn't buy a PS Audio DAC at full msrp, and I'd be weary about the resale value once I owned it. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #350 of 911
Or look at it this way. If the PWD is as good and you can buy a new/barely used one for $2500, that surely must then be considered a bargain.

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #351 of 911
Quote:
Or look at it this way. If the PWD is as good and you can buy a new/barely used one for $2500, that surely must then be considered a bargain.

Could be. It depends on what you want I guess. I don't mean to offend any fans of the PWD so maybe I should just be quiet now...

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #352 of 911
6Moons (yeah, yeah) pretty much puts the Eximus and Invicta neck and neck-summing it up as saying the Invicta is slightly more clinical, while the DP1 is slightly sweeter and more musical. I haven't heard the Invicta myself- but I can say the Eximus has a incredibly transparent sound signature (although not necessarily the most detailed perhaps), very musical, and sweet. I like the reviewer's comment about the DP1 being sweet, and not 'warm'. In my rig, my HD800s sound very liquid-not like an LCD syrupy-but more like...silk. Smooth, defined, transparent. My previous dac which I LOVED, was an AGD Reference 9-and this dac walks all over that, and is somehow more musical as well, even though that is one of the Diamond Differential's main strengths.

I do have to amend a couple of previous thoughts regarding the DP1 built in amp however. I do think that it is very good with easy to drive cans. There wasn't a huge difference between it and my ZDSE while using my TH900, AD2000, or Pro 2900. The TH900 probably showed the most difference though-as the Zana really brought out the vocals which I found too recessed for my liking on the DP1 amp. On my HD800s though-it's no contest-at all. The Zana/Senn pairing is simply sublime, and on a completely different level in all areas-period. Simply the best I've ever heard the HD800. But I also believe the DP1's transparency, musicality, and soundstaging are areas that were crucial in transforming the Senn for me as well. FWIW.

-Daniel

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #354 of 911
It's ok-I'm still having fun. 
wink.gif
I have a feeling most impressions at this level aren't just subjective differences-but to a large degree a matter of synergy as well. I've heard people who claim the Eximus is 'better' both the Invicta and Ref 7.1, and those that share your opinion. I'd love to hear both the Invicta and PWII in my system-but at that point I'd probably jump to the next level and get an Overdrive or Vaughan to try out.

-Daniel

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #355 of 911
Those are two unusual examples - I've heard nothing but praise for the Overdrive, and would love to try it for myself. The Vaughan, on the other hand, seems to underwhelm people. At least the admittedly very small sample of folks I know who have heard it.

I can't help but wonder if there is just some lingering feeling of association with the cheaper hiFace products. The concept of "trickle down technology" helps us feel good when an esteemed brand releases something affordable. But it kind of goes the other way when a company known for "budget" products tries to go too far upscale. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #356 of 911
Honestly the hideous faceplate would drive me away from the Vaughan in and of itself lol. I was more referring to the next 'price jump' above the dacs we were speaking of-more akin to the 5-8K range. And I FULLY agree with the HiFace 'cheap' stigma possible affecting people's opinion of the (flagship) Vaughan. But then again wasn't it you who started the X-Sabre thread?
very_evil_smiley.gif
 Speaking of ugly fonts/faceplates...

-Daniel

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #358 of 911
Yeah it's beautiful-but they don't need to shout the name. On related note, your Matrix m-Stage review convinced me to buy it to pair with my K702/uDac a couple of years ago.
beerchug.gif
 This combo proved to me the importance of synergy and amplification in a headphone rig. My (much later) Ref 9 again proved how valuable source/dac are as well. I still kinda miss that humble (but mighty) first rig of mine...and the way I see it now: you owe me about 10K now lol.

-Daniel

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #360 of 911
Ok knock a grand off lol. Speaking of which-do you still feel that the m-Stage is one of the best ss amps for the HD800-and not just for the price?

Back on topic: I'll swap you my DP1 for your Eximus for a couple of weeks if you want. :)

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back