Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Mar 10, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #4,366 of 7,140
And rightly so they cut their losses. I never expected continuing support for the product after it was discontinued, though I had hoped for at least one update so I could switch the volume knob direction... Yup, that petty. Otherwise, great player!
No that's not petty only been 2 years after release they should be better.

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #4,367 of 7,140

What is it and where can I get one?

Just go to some supemarket near you and look for these bubbles in the Kid section, I got this from my niece.

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #4,368 of 7,140
When you bought it did it say it was a usb dac? It sucks yes but most picked the QP1R and it seems they didn't sell as many QP1's so they cut their loses. I agree they should still support it but for how long I don't know. I thought Beta had better quality than VHS and almost bought a Laser Disc player and still think HDDVD is better looking than Blu Ray but where are they now? I as you just bet on the wrong horse. Questyle is not a huge company so I don't how much resources they can put into things. It just might be one of those sucks to be you I know been there a few times myself.
They updated the QP1 firmware to 1.07 with DAC capabilities. I am running it right now. And I give them all the credit in the world for ensuring that we QP1 owners were not left behind. I believe you can find the link somewhere earlier in this thread. It works great with my iMac and MacBook Air. Wonder if they could make it work right out of an iPhone? That would be about perfect. Portable streaming with Questyle quality.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #4,370 of 7,140
Not to sound lazy, but any idea where that might be? I've looked, but can't find any mention of it.
It was in the other QP1 thread. Here's the link. Quote:
Originally Posted by bSquared64 View Post

Calling all QP1 owners!

Firmware 1.0.7 and USB DAC driver can be found here!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dkfm3l1ids4e460/AACKu0PBMiv4VHp6oAWB0koNa?dl=0

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #4,372 of 7,140
They updated the QP1 firmware to 1.07 with DAC capabilities. I am running it right now. And I give them all the credit in the world for ensuring that we QP1 owners were not left behind. I believe you can find the link somewhere earlier in this thread. It works great with my iMac and MacBook Air. Wonder if they could make it work right out of an iPhone? That would be about perfect. Portable streaming with Questyle quality.
That is awesome so they were wrong that updates stopped at 1.02 and it now has most of the updates. Didn't know about the Qp1.So they need to update and chill out. So good everybody needs to chill and listen to some good tunes I'm not a doctor but I think it is still a good prescription just listen you will be rewarded with smiles and head bobbing.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #4,374 of 7,140
comparison between QP1R and Dx200
http://www.head-fi.org/products/ibasso-audio-dx200-reference-dap/reviews/18186

QP1R (low gain ~35)

QP1R does give more V shape sound. Treble is more extended. Impact is so powerful than DX200.
Soundstage width is a little wider but less depth. While DX200 is 3D staging.
Bass is tighter but same quantity. Listening to rock music is satisfying with QP1R.
However,I can feel that it does give shy vocal presentation. While DX200 vocal is more forwarded and smoothly-pleasing to listen.
Separation is equally good for both

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #4,375 of 7,140
I got my Pelican 1120 case today and while I am pretty happy with it I have to say it is heavy and it is big! I honestly don't know if this will become part of my travel kit as I am on the road every week (and generally trying to reduce the bulk and weight of my carry) flying all of you back and forth across the country! This case is big and heavy for what it does. That said if you need a waterproof case that can withstand being run over by a 70 ton Boeing B-737 this is it!

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #4,376 of 7,140
I got my Pelican 1120 case today and while I am pretty happy with it I have to say it is heavy and it is big! I honestly don't know if this will become part of my travel kit as I am on the road every week (and generally trying to reduce the bulk and weight of my carry) flying all of you back and forth across the country! This case is big and heavy for what it does. That said if you need a waterproof case that can withstand being run over by a 70 ton Boeing B-737 this is it!

It fits perfectly in my laptop backpack, which is all I carry-on a plane. I check the one bag that contains my clothing and toiletry bag.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #4,377 of 7,140
Thank you, Maurice (@moedawg140), for this comprehensive and constructive post!

I've went along and compared my new QP1R (on high gain) with an older modified Mezzo MS-AK120 using the wonderful - and well recorded - performance of Christian Zachrias to Mozart's Piano Concertos (highly recommended, btw, for lovers of Mozart - here) using the Alpha Dog as headphones.

Impressions?

Albeit my personal preference to what I describe as "warmer" sound - which the MS-AK120 tend towards - the bottom line is clear: the QP1R is the clear winner here.
It better drive this - and other - headphones, and generate a bigger and more resolving soundstage with better separation and clarity of SQ.  In the case of these piano concerti, for example, the entrance of the piano gets a more pronounced and dramatic effect, while the sound of the orchestral tutti have wider imaging and deeper bass.
I didn't do such AB testing with other musical genres, but listened to jazz, rock and R&B on both devices, and my general impression was similar - the QP1R has the upper hand on SQ and amplification.

The major advantage of the MS-AK120?
It's form factor and portability, being almost half the size and weight of the QP1R, it's a much easier device to use as travel companion.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #4,378 of 7,140
How do Sennheiser HD 650s do with QP1R?

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #4,379 of 7,140
How do Sennheiser HD 650s do with QP1R?

Back when I had mine, and was using them with a whiplash twag, the sound was decent, although I did prefer a brighter and clearer sound and the twag nor the QP1R was bright enough to push the sound in that way. Driveability was okay. Used it at around 30 on high gain and maybe around 40+ on high gain with soft songs.

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #4,380 of 7,140
Just to share that I had found a dap which is better than qp1r for me which is the Opus#1 metal premium model. Same dac as qp1r but has dual dac unlike qp1r. The treble is higher for qp1r which i heard sibilance at time but not Opus#1 metal and more depth too which sounds more 3d too. The IU also much better too. This is just my own opinion and to share as i have looking for a dap than qp1r. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back