Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Mar 8, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #4,351 of 7,140
My Angie II is not sealing well with stock tips. Time to upgrade the tips.

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #4,352 of 7,140
Thanks to my good friend @csglinux for letting me listen to the tour X5iii and his DX200 a couple of days ago.  Both are good to very good DAPs at their respective prices.

Here's my thoughts about the two companies' newest DAPs (will be added to the review [first post of thread] in the future):

FiiO X5iii

The X5iii was nice for the price, but I much preferred the DX200 on all levels compared to the X5iii except for the volume knob of the DX200 and more open Android implementation of the X5iii.  The X5iii sounds like it tried too hard to sound treble heavy, as it is more upper mid and treble heavy compared to the QP1R.  The X5iii's subbass is less punchy than the QP1R as well.  What's good about the X5iii is it's implementation of Android, and even has the Play Store, so that's really cool since you can play and operate pretty much whatever you'd like on the device. 

iBasso DX200

The DX200 is quite the performer acoustically, and I really enjoy the snappiness of the UI/screen compared to a lot of DAPs that I've listened to or own.  The DX200 embodies a beautiful sound, however is less punchy and detailed in the treble and especially bass areas of the frequency spectrum compared to the QP1R.  The volume knob of the DX200 isn't my favorite since it takes a lot of turns with a finger and a thumb, but wouldn't be as much of a concern if in the future via firmware update volume can be implemented via the screen.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #4,353 of 7,140
Happy to help! I wouldn't say the W80 is the most musically engaging or organic-sounding earphone on the market, but is great if you want to hear the music in a highly detailed, neutral-reference-like manner.

What do you value the most in an earphone? Do you have issues with fit? Do you want more of a bass emphasis, midrange emphasis, treble emphasis, or all in one? Many more questions I can ask but the aforementioned will give me a decent guideline as to which IEMs I can recommend.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your budget? I can also suggest a few IEMs in the price range(s) you specify.

In terms of budget I would hope to spend no more than £1000 on a IEM, however if I tried something and found that I really loved it I might go up to £1500
I have very limited experience with IEM's and any IEM I purchase would mainly be used for mobile use, holidays and occasional late night listening in bed.
When at home 9 times out of 10 I would always retire to my man cave and use my Utopia desk top set up.
This is also a reason why my budget would be smaller for my IEM's.
I vaue great sound quality and of course the hp must be comfortable. The Utopia is very revealing and engaging and I like the tonal balance, however for IEM's I think I would prefer something a bit more relaxed but without sounding too vielled or muddy. I don't mind treble but if it's going to be prominent it must not be sibliant as I find this fatiguing. If I had to choose what is most important to me I would say the midrange and any IEM needs to be great with vocals, both female and male. I like bass but I would say I wouldn't describe myself as a basshead. I wouldnt want the bass taking over and bleeding into the mids.
Fit is important I would need to get a good seal and if possible I would like something that stays in place. Nothing more annoying than having to keep popping the IEM back in. Ideally I would like something with a small form factor that if I say fell to sleep with they would not dig in my ears laying in the pillow.
Hope this helps

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #4,354 of 7,140
In terms of budget I would hope to spend no more than £1000 on a IEM, however if I tried something and found that I really loved it I might go up to £1500
I have very limited experience with IEM's and any IEM I purchase would mainly be used for mobile use, holidays and occasional late night listening in bed.
When at home 9 times out of 10 I would always retire to my man cave and use my Utopia desk top set up.
This is also a reason why my budget would be smaller for my IEM's.
I vaue great sound quality and of course the hp must be comfortable. The Utopia is very revealing and engaging and I like the tonal balance, however for IEM's I think I would prefer something a bit more relaxed but without sounding too vielled or muddy. I don't mind treble but if it's going to be prominent it must not be sibliant as I find this fatiguing. If I had to choose what is most important to me I would say the midrange and any IEM needs to be great with vocals, both female and male. I like bass but I would say I wouldn't describe myself as a basshead. I wouldnt want the bass taking over and bleeding into the mids.
Fit is important I would need to get a good seal and if possible I would like something that stays in place. Nothing more annoying than having to keep popping the IEM back in. Ideally I would like something with a small form factor that if I say fell to sleep with they would not dig in my ears laying in the pillow.
Hope this helps

Here's the IEMs I would check out based on your preferences:

1MORE Piston Classic
RHA T20i Black or Silver
SoundMAGIC E80
Ultimate Ears (try out the lineup if you can)
Venture Electronics Monk Plus (for $5, why not?)

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #4,355 of 7,140
Pelican 1120 in blue. It is the perfect depth to lay the QP1R on its side in the case. The red container is my JH Angie IIs. The 1120 is $24.89 on Amazon and it comes in five different colors.

Thanks for the pics and specs. I ordered one for my stuff too (QP1R plus 64 Audio U6 IEMs) I really like that the extra cables and earbuds for working out will be in a foam pocket and everything won't fall out like it does now with my generic nylon zipper case. I went by Fry's Electronics yesterday and dug through lots of Pelican cases but no 1120's and no fun colors. Knowing they are available online in a greater variety is great.

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #4,356 of 7,140
Thanks for the pics and specs. I ordered one for my stuff too (QP1R plus 64 Audio U6 IEMs) I really like that the extra cables and earbuds for working out will be in a foam pocket and everything won't fall out like it does now with my generic nylon zipper case. I went by Fry's Electronics yesterday and dug through lots of Pelican cases but no 1120's and no fun colors. Knowing they are available online in a greater variety is great.

I love mine. Put it in my backpack on my business trip and had no worries if I bumped something.

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #4,357 of 7,140

Believe me this button helps the clickwheel a lot

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #4,364 of 7,140
So I'll assume that Questyle dropped firmware support at 1.02, then? No DAC capability or updates whatsoever? What a rip...
When you bought it did it say it was a usb dac? It sucks yes but most picked the QP1R and it seems they didn't sell as many QP1's so they cut their loses. I agree they should still support it but for how long I don't know. I thought Beta had better quality than VHS and almost bought a Laser Disc player and still think HDDVD is better looking than Blu Ray but where are they now? I as you just bet on the wrong horse. Questyle is not a huge company so I don't how much resources they can put into things. It just might be one of those sucks to be you I know been there a few times myself.

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #4,365 of 7,140
And rightly so they cut their losses. I never expected continuing support for the product after it was discontinued, though I had hoped for at least one update so I could switch the volume knob direction... Yup, that petty. Otherwise, great player!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back