Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Aug 30, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #2,701 of 7,140
  the guy that reviewed the qp1r here about 3 weeks ago mentions that his unit was sent to him with a "silicone sticker" by his retailer, has anyone heard of that? I even asked him about it in the comment section.
I just noticed that I dont even know how these look so I dont know if it has the shape of the scrolling wheel and is being used by him in the review or if he is just talking about standard silicone stickers.

They are the same size as the wheel and invisible once installed (you can't actually tell that it is there). Contact Questyle they will send you one.

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #2,702 of 7,140
  Not going to get a wheel protector. They  fell off anyway. Why should I pay £750 for a DAPand need them anyway. Questyle are pathetic for releasing a defective product and you guys are for defending them!

I have been using mine for months and it has never fallen off. That being said I was perfectly happy with the wheel before I got it, but some people have dry fingers and have trouble getting a grip on the wheel. The discs are free from Questyle in the USA (I don't know about the UK). You might as well ask why should you pay £3000 for a DAP and have to add an amplifier. You buy the QP1R for the sound, if you are more concerned about UI you buy an iPhone.

Aug 30, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #2,703 of 7,140
It's currently as portable as the products needed to use the iPhone and QP1R in unison.

Basically, a software/driver update with regards to the USB DAC of the QP1R will be needed so we will only need a micro USB to Lightning cable for the iPhone and QP1R to function in unison, as the Grace m9XX went a similar route.
Is this only for iPhone 6?

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #2,704 of 7,140
Is this only for iPhone 6?

No. Since the USB DAC connection seems to connect similarly to the DAC/amps that I have mentioned previously, it should work on most all Androids and at least the past few versions of the iPhone.

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #2,705 of 7,140
No. Since the USB DAC connection seems to connect similarly to the DAC/amps that I have mentioned previously, it should work on most all Androids and at least the past few versions of the iPhone.
Looks like I'm going to be buying some cables then to get portable streaming for the QP1R is just awesome. I like to set out on the back patio and listen to music so not having to drag the laptop out ( which is not too much of a problem) and going on vacation in a month it will be great to get this up and running. Just re read this and it is not portable . Oh well easier to just drag the laptop out then. I guess it is a firmware fix it is done buy software and can't use the power of the dap . Dang maybe QP2R then.

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #2,706 of 7,140
Looks like I'm going to be buying some cables then to get portable streaming for the QP1R is just awesome. I like to set out on the back patio and listen to music so not having to drag the laptop out ( which is not too much of a problem) and going on vacation in a month it will be great to get this up and running. Just re read this and it is not portable . Oh well easier to just drag the laptop out then. I guess it is a firmware fix it is done buy software and can't use the power of the dap . Dang maybe QP2R then.

If there are Android products that have enough inherent output power, then all you'll need is a micro USB cable to connect to the QP1R. :beerchug:

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #2,707 of 7,140
If there are Android products that have enough inherent output power, then all you'll need is a micro USB cable to connect to the QP1R. :beerchug:
No problem they kept saying there was no way for a usb DAC but they did it anyway. Beats the heck out of my phone or laptop out so I'm good. Thanks Moedawg.

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #2,708 of 7,140
No problem they kept saying there was no way for a usb DAC but they did it anyway. Beats the heck out of my phone or laptop out so I'm good. Thanks Moedawg.

Hey, sometimes in life, not everything is completely set in stone.  
beerchug.gif
  It's all gravy, baby!

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #2,709 of 7,140
Aug 30, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #2,711 of 7,140
1.0.7 firmware: http://questyleaudio.com/uploads/file/20160829/6360806322320516954204396.zip

USB DAC Driver: http://questyleaudio.com/uploads/file/20160829/6360806339343514498245974.zip

Almost 4am here, but still writing London impressions.  Currently listening to the Puro Sound Labs IEM200. :etysmile:

Just downloaded both zip files to my desktop. Will install driver and firmware at a later date as it is bed time and I will be out all day tomorrow. I was not interested in the USB DAC funtionality personally since 100% of my music is on 200 GB cards in the QP1R. I don't listen to streaming, but it does allow me to play through Foobar2000 while charging the QP1R even though it is the same music.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #2,712 of 7,140

Not going to get a wheel protector. They  fell off anyway. Why should I pay £750 for a DAPand need them anyway. Questyle are pathetic for releasing a defective product and you guys are for defending them!

Bit harsh calling Questyle and those who enjoy the QP1R "pathetic" over the scroll wheel. The QP1/QP1R was our first time stepping into the DAP market and we definitely took a lot of feedback into the design and have been listening to customer feedback the whole time but firmware takes some time. Regarding the wheel we are aware of those who maybe unhappy about it and we have happily given our distributors wheel stickers to give away and I personally send out a bunch anytime someone asks or I try to help in applying the stickers on units. 

I have confirmed the QP1R USB DAC to work with the iPhone 6. I've got experience doing this when I hooked up the DACport Slim, DACport HD and Grace m9XX the same way for their respective reviews, so it's great that the same items used to connect to those DAC/amps works the same way with regards to connecting the QP1R.

In order to not see the "The connected device requires too much power." message on the iPhone, you need to make sure there is a power "handshake". What that means is you will need a few items in order to make the QP1R's USB DAC function correctly in conjunction with the iPhone (6 in my specific case). The items are:

-A power source that has USB-B input (most all do, like a USB outlet adapter or a external battery charger)

-A USB-B to USB-B cable (male to male)

-A multi-USB-B port Hub

-A micro USB cable

-An Apple CCK cable

Here is the chain to make the "handshake" work:

Use a power source that has USB power or an external charger and connect the USB-B cable to it.

Connect the other end of the USB-B cable to a USB Hub port.

Connect a micro USB cable from the QP1R to a free USB Hub port.

Connect the male USB connecting cable from the USB Hub to the Apple CCK cable port.

Connect the Apple CCK Lightning connector to the iPhone 6.

Connect your favorite C/IEM or headphone to the QP1R and play your music through the iPhone 6.

Troubleshooting:

In case you see the "The connected device requires too much power." message on the iPhone, make sure the power source (outlet and/or external adapter) is turned on and that all cables are seated snugly in their correct locations in the USB hub and devices.

Make sure that "DAC" is set in "System Settings" > "USB settings".

I will add these steps and more information in an update in the QP1R review (first post of this thread) in the near future.

Take care!

Awesome guide for those using an iPhone!

the guy that reviewed the qp1r here about 3 weeks ago mentions that his unit was sent to him with a "silicone sticker" by his retailer, has anyone heard of that? I even asked him about it in the comment section.
I just noticed that I dont even know how these look so I dont know if it has the shape of the scrolling wheel and is being used by him in the review or if he is just talking about standard silicone stickers.

wait silicone sticker??? please update me asap
redface.gif

As others have mentioned, contact the dealer where you received your QP1R and they should be able to send some wheel stickers your way! Those in the United States can shoot me a pm if you need some help, I can send some out your way!

Good to know: I just struggled with the installation of the USB drivers in Windows 10 and found that the USB cable was apparently not powerful enough. It did charge up the QP1R but did not transmit any data from the PC. Switching USB cable solved it.

Also, being a musician, I'm delighted to see a native ASIO driver as well, which can be used by virtual instruments and various VST/AU hosts! Really impressing...

I keep losing my included QP1R cable and never tried the USB Dac with it, always with a different one! Good to know it works out for you with a different cable!

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Aug 31, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #2,714 of 7,140
Aug 31, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #2,715 of 7,140

which Samsung phone is that? If this really works my search for a new DAP is finally over! The QP1R Sound Quality combined with an Android Smartphone as UI.. no way there is anything better in the sub 1000$ segment : D I currently have an LG V10 but if that wouldnt be able to be paired as easily (I dont want to have to use a USB Hub and a Powerbank for it to work) as the Samsung you're using because of its power output or whatever I would just get that Samsung Model or another Android phone that works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back