Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Aug 30, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #2,686 of 7,140
I have confirmed the QP1R USB DAC to work with the iPhone 6. I've got experience doing this when I hooked up the DACport Slim, DACport HD and Grace m9XX the same way for their respective reviews, so it's great that the same items used to connect to those DAC/amps works the same way with regards to connecting the QP1R.

In order to not see the "The connected device requires too much power." message on the iPhone, you need to make sure there is a power "handshake". What that means is you will need a few items in order to make the QP1R's USB DAC function correctly in conjunction with the iPhone (6 in my specific case). The items are:

-A power source that has USB-A input (most all do, like a USB outlet adapter or a external battery charger)

-A USB-A to USB-A cable (male to male)

-A multi-USB-A port Hub

-A micro USB cable

-An Apple CCK (camera connection kit) cable

Here is the chain to make the "handshake" work:

Use a power source that has USB power or an external charger and connect the USB-A cable to it.

Connect the other end of the USB-A cable to a USB Hub port.

Connect a micro USB cable from the QP1R to a free USB Hub port.

Connect the male USB connecting cable from the USB Hub to the Apple CCK cable port.

Connect the Apple CCK Lightning connector to the iPhone 6.

Connect your favorite C/IEM or headphone to the QP1R and play your music through the iPhone 6.

Troubleshooting:

In case you see the "The connected device requires too much power." message on the iPhone, make sure the power source (outlet and/or external adapter) is turned on and that all cables are seated snugly in their correct locations in the USB hub and devices.

Make sure that "DAC" is set in "System Settings" > "USB settings".

I will add these steps and more information in an update in the QP1R review (first post of this thread) in the near future.

Take care!

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #2,687 of 7,140
the guy that reviewed the qp1r here about 3 weeks ago mentions that his unit was sent to him with a "silicone sticker" by his retailer, has anyone heard of that? I even asked him about it in the comment section.
I just noticed that I dont even know how these look so I dont know if it has the shape of the scrolling wheel and is being used by him in the review or if he is just talking about standard silicone stickers.

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #2,688 of 7,140
  the guy that reviewed the qp1r here about 3 weeks ago mentions that his unit was sent to him with a "silicone sticker" by his retailer, has anyone heard of that? I even asked him about it in the comment section.
I just noticed that I dont even know how these look so I dont know if it has the shape of the scrolling wheel and is being used by him in the review or if he is just talking about standard silicone stickers.

wait silicone sticker??? please update me asap
redface.gif

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #2,689 of 7,140
  I would buy another Questyle DAP, but not before I read many, many positive reviews on the new products scroll wheel.

It's just a matter of getting your hands on a wheel skin. Once applied to the wheel I've found it to be quite usable. I now use the wheel almost exclusively for functions. Try contacting your retailer or request one from the Questyle members on this thread.

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #2,690 of 7,140
Hi all.

Question... maybe I missed it but I see that the SD card specs say this unit supports twin 128gb cards...will it eventually support twin 200gb cards? ...or perhaps does it now and it just doesn't say on the Questyle website?

I'm planning to get one by November.

Thanks.

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #2,692 of 7,140
Hi all.

Question... maybe I missed it but I see that the SD card specs say this unit supports twin 128gb cards...will it eventually support twin 200gb cards? ...or perhaps does it now and it just doesn't say on the Questyle website?

I'm planning to get one by November.

Thanks.

No issue with sandisk 200gb card

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #2,693 of 7,140
Moedawg, thanks, so does this mean the iPhone 6 setup will not be portable? Or that it needs to be plugged in to a wall or large external battery pack? After the initial "handshake" is all this stuff still necessary? Is it odd that the iPhone can't drive a DAC or that the QP1R can't drive itself?

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #2,694 of 7,140
As for the never ending scroll wheel debate I must say again it doesn't bother me, I understand that it makes a lot of people crazy but it would not stop me from buying another. Bruce at Questyle will send you a wheel cover if you ask. He wants us all to have them! Questyle made a poor decision when they supplied a scroll wheel that needs to actually rotate (unlike an iPod wheel) and machined an ultra sooth surface on it. Then surrounded it with adaptive touch buttons. So if your fingertips are dry the wheel is hard to turn, then you try to exert more force by using the pad of your finger and start hitting those adaptive touch buttons. And it is frustrating. But with the scroll wheel cover or sticky dots or just using the buttons we quickly learn to operate the machine. I am not trying to influence anyone just trying to describe my experience so that potential buyers without access to try out a QP1R can understand what is going on. I have been to a couple of audio shows now where Questyle is demoing and most everyone is happily spinning and clicking away in no time. But yeah it is not a great design...

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #2,697 of 7,140
Moedawg, thanks, so does this mean the iPhone 6 setup will not be portable? Or that it needs to be plugged in to a wall or large external battery pack? After the initial "handshake" is all this stuff still necessary? Is it odd that the iPhone can't drive a DAC or that the QP1R can't drive itself?

It's currently as portable as the products needed to use the iPhone and QP1R in unison.

Basically, a software/driver update with regards to the USB DAC of the QP1R will be needed so we will only need a micro USB to Lightning cable for the iPhone and QP1R to function in unison, as the Grace m9XX went a similar route.

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #2,700 of 7,140
Good to know: I just struggled with the installation of the USB drivers in Windows 10 and found that the USB cable was apparently not powerful enough. It did charge up the QP1R but did not transmit any data from the PC. Switching USB cable solved it.

Also, being a musician, I'm delighted to see a native ASIO driver as well, which can be used by virtual instruments and various VST/AU hosts! Really impressing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back